Voxan stole the LeMans fairing!

Guest Jeff in Ohio

Guest Nogbad

I don't care what the bike drinks, if it is fun.

61979[/snapback]

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it, but from an engineering standpoint it isn't very satisfying. Neither is it particularly sensible given that petrol is a finite resource and I would like my children to enjoy motoring as well.

Short stroke high rpm motors are not the way to get a good heat rate, even if it gives you high specific power outputs. The very worst offender in this respect is the Wankel rotary engine which approximates to a huge bore and hardly any stroke. That RX8 Mazda is so crap it should be illegal. The latest low speed 2 stroke marine and stationary diesel engines get 50% efficiency with stroke to bore ratios of 4:1.

It is more efficient I'm afraid. Look at the fuel economy figures according to the EU test regime.

By efficiency I mean the amount of shaft HP you get per unit mass of fuel burned. I don't doubt that the V11 makes more power and torque but the engine's "heat rate" is greater than that of the Sportster.

61978[/snapback]

Hmmm,so, the Sporty is 1200cc,obviously the V11 is1100cc.

The V11 makes more power and torque from a smaller engine, yet the sporty is deemed more efficient simply because the jetting is so lean you couldnt light a candle with it.

Rebuilt a couple of sporty motors,if memory serves me correctly efficiency was not a topic often noted by observers,or myself indeed.

Agriculture,yes but efficiency......

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it, but from an engineering standpoint it isn't very satisfying. Neither is it particularly sensible given that petrol is a finite resource and I would like my children to enjoy motoring as well.

Short stroke high rpm motors are not the way to get a good heat rate, even if it gives you high specific power outputs. The very worst offender in this respect is the Wankel rotary engine which approximates to a huge bore and hardly any stroke. That RX8 Mazda is so crap it should be illegal. The latest low speed 2 stroke marine and stationary diesel engines get 50% efficiency with stroke to bore ratios of 4:1.

61980[/snapback]

I loved watching the rotary Nortons in the early 1990s racing in British Superbikes- they were a good 10mph faster than all the Jap bikes and ate them for breakfast on the straights.

I think the rules were bent a bit to allow them to compete but it was good while it lasted.

Nogbad- the US army has developed a diesel engined bike in a KLR650 frame to fit in with NATOs requirements that all their vehicles must run on the same fuel- maybe you could swap your gas guzzling V11 for one of those.

I am not really worried that much about MPG but have noticed that ever since I got my PC111 I am doing 10 miles to the litre when I am cruising at 85mph- thats not bad really giving a tank range of around 200 miles.

Guy :helmet: