Vapor lock on 2002 naked

bigbikerrick

Yesterday after a long highway ride in 90 degree temps,I parked my guzzi in the garage then came back 25 minutes later and tried to ride off. The bike would start, miss then die numerous times. the fuel pump would pressurize then shut off. I tried to get it to run 6 or 7 times and it woul act like there was no fuel,when I twisted the throttle, then stall out. then I got an idea, I got a spray bottle filled it with cold water from my refrigerato, sprayed down my fuel pump, hit the starter,and it immediately started and ran normally. I am personally convinced the cause is heat on the pump from the left jug. Tonight I made a heat shield from aluminum flashing material, and lined it with 1/2" foam rubber on the inside, then wrapped it around the fuel pump,and secured it with nylon zip ties. Time will tell if this does the trick, Im keeping my fingers crossed...... :luigi:

That's a good idea- both of them.

I wonder about the insulation though. Just as it will keep the heat out for longer, so will it keep it in longer.

Sheet- you just gave me an idea- on old tube amps (don't start with me), there's a piece that wraps around the tubes and has fins- it's a tube cooler. I bet something like that- on the fuel pump- would help to cool it. hmmmmm :nerd:

That's a good idea- both of them.

I wonder about the insulation though.  Just as it will keep the heat out for longer, so will it keep it in longer. 

Sheet- you just gave me an idea- on old tube amps (don't start with me), there's a piece that wraps around the tubes and has fins- it's a tube cooler.  I bet something like that- on the fuel pump- would help to cool it.  hmmmmm :nerd:

62030[/snapback]

Thats an interesting idea(Yes it shows your age!) HeHe, if this insulatory wrap doesnt work, i will have to relocate the pump i live in arizona and its hotter than hell here. :bier:

I wonder about the insulation though.  Just as it will keep the heat out for longer, so will it keep it in longer. 

62030[/snapback]

Heat retained by the fuel pump isn't much of a problem, as long as it doesn't reach the critical temp; the fuel, after all, can carry most of that away promptly upon the engine starting and running... The problem is in the fuel in the line vaporizing and essentially creating so much backpressure the pump turns itself off, thinking it's done its job! ;)

Good thinking with the insulation, but as I recall from Al Roethlisberger's (sp?) posts on the topic, short of moving the pump into the tank by buying an '03+ fuel tank, the best bet is to move the pump to the position used on the Centauros and the Tenni, up at the front under the steering head, where it sees lots of breeze and little engine heat when the bike is stopped.

Heat retained by the fuel pump isn't much of a problem, as long as it doesn't reach the critical temp; the fuel, after all, can carry most of that away promptly upon the engine starting and running... The problem is in the fuel in the line vaporizing and essentially creating so much backpressure the pump turns itself off, thinking it's done its job! ;)

Good thinking with the insulation, but as I recall from Al Roethlisberger's (sp?) posts on the topic, short of moving the pump into the tank by buying an '03+ fuel tank, the best bet is to move the pump to the position used on the Centauros and the Tenni, up at the front under the steering head, where it sees lots of breeze and little engine heat when the bike is stopped.

62107[/snapback]

Would that backpressure be in the fuel line entering the pump,or leaving the pump towards the fuel filter? Im not sure where the pump would be mounted up front, Ive never seen the pump on a centauro. There doesnt seem to be much room on the V 11 up front...... :huh:

Take a look at Jaap's bike- I think he moved his fuel pump to the front. It's a tight fit, but it can be done.  I'm not sure what all needs to be moved, though.

62147[/snapback]

I think his came that way from the factory... as a few '02 bikes seemed to be delivered... who knows why.

Most of the Tenni's seem to have the fuel-pump "out front" if I recall :huh2:

al

Despite all that has been said in the past about this vapour lock thing, I feel I have to finally add my 2cents. My '00 naked had the same vapour lock and I have solved all problems relating to it. Here's what I've done: First, I yanked the whole thing apart so I could see how the system was configured and understand what I was looking at. I got rid of the factory fuel filter and got a smaller, better flowing but same filtering billet aluminum filter, hooked it up where I could get to it to clean it without taking the tank off. I got some "aluminumised fiberglass" heat reflective sheathing and pulled it over all the main fuel lines... I found both the sheathing and filter at a drag/racing shop. I also installed the billet finned aluminum fuel pump clamp advertised a while ago on this site. This I imagined ought to do it, but I went one step further and bought the smallest electric fan from Spal in Italy and installed it up behind the oil cooler so that it blows on the fuel pump. I hooked it up to the battery through a relay, fuse and dry-temp sensor. The sensor is mounted under the exhaust resonator (it heats up and cools down more quickly than any other part on the bike) and comes on at 156F, it turns off at around 100F independent of the ignition, thus cooling for a few crucial minutes after I leave the bike parked. Take it or leave it, this is what I've done and it has worked for my bike. Now to take care of all the bubbly paint spots!

Despite all that has been said in the past about this vapour lock thing, I feel I have to finally add my 2cents. My '00 naked had the same vapour lock and I have solved all problems relating to it. Here's what I've done: First, I yanked the whole thing apart so I could see how the system was configured and understand what I was looking at. I got rid of the factory fuel filter and got a smaller, better flowing but same filtering billet aluminum filter, hooked it up where I could get to it to clean it without taking the tank off. I got some "aluminumised fiberglass" heat reflective sheathing and pulled it over all the main fuel lines... I found both the sheathing and filter at a drag/racing shop. I also installed the billet finned aluminum fuel pump clamp advertised a while ago on this site. This I imagined ought to do it, but I went one step further and bought the smallest electric fan from Spal in Italy and installed it up behind the oil cooler so that it blows on the fuel pump. I hooked it up to the battery through a relay, fuse and dry-temp sensor. The sensor is mounted under the exhaust resonator (it heats up and cools down more quickly than any other part on the bike) and comes on at 156F, it turns off at around 100F independent of the ignition, thus cooling for a few crucial minutes after I leave the bike parked. Take it or leave it, this is what I've done and it has worked for my bike. Now to take care of all the bubbly paint spots!

62915[/snapback]

WOW. You turned it into a Benelli!...........

LOL, does the paint on Benellis flake and bubble too?

62924[/snapback]

No idea, but they are festooned with little fans blowing on various hot hidden away bits that's for sure......

I was just kidding about the paint (in case anyone here owns a Benelli, no offense!)

I know the ones you're talking about... in the tail!