Relocating fuel pump to the tail

bigbikerrick

Hey folks ive been brainstorming/brainfarting about places where the fuel pump could be relocated to to avoid engine heat, would it be possible to put it under the seat to where the tool kit is located, running longer lines,and extending the wires, leaving the fuel filter where it is. It seems doable to me. what do you folks think? :cheese::rasta:

possible yes, but the filter still gets hot. putting the pump more to the front, so it gets more wind, might be better. Al has made an extensive work of this, all documented here

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...75&hl=fuel-pump

and look here

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=462

In all the cases I've heard about, including my own, the vapor lock occurs when the bike has been parked for 10-- 15 mins. Heat builds up as the pump and inlet sits right above the cylinder when on side stand. 20 mins later its fine again. It isn't a problem when the bike is moving, and you should have air flow over it when running. Locating pump inside tank provided a cool liquid for the pump to stay cool in.

All you need to do is shield the inlet line to the pump and MAYBE shield the pump itself. I shielded the line only and have not had the problem reoccur. I'm convinced the vapor lock is in the line before the pump, not in the pump itself. If there is vapor in the pump but fluid at the intake, pump will still pump fluid. If inlet to pump is vapor then pump will not overcome the suction.

In terms of volume, you will get vapor in the fuel line before enough heat builds in the pump to vaporize the fuel there.

It's a $20 fix and takes half an hour. No need to over engineer the problem.

As for heat escaping... not a problem as it never builds up to begin with.

cheers,

Rj

a full tank of gas helps prevent vapor

62084[/snapback]

gas is vapour, you fool. Or do you not speak English?

gas is vapour, you fool. Or do you not speak English?

62095[/snapback]

He wrote "vapor," not "vapour," so clearly, you two are talking about different things!

;-)

"England and America are two great nations separated by a common language" - Oscar Wilde

Don't call someone a fool!  You know what he was talking about. Here it's called gasoline [gas], and in the old country, it's called petroleum [petrol].

Ciao, Steve G.

62115[/snapback]

Ah, but which fool. there is a choice of three.

A fool can refer to:

A court jester or clown.

A fruit fool, a recipe made with cooked fruit such as gooseberries or bilberries.

The Fool, the only numberless major arcana card of the tarot

JRT is a scientist and doesn't frequent courts - that must be Bill (a lawyer).

I wouldn't suggest JRT is a fruit, depite his knowledge of Bag Balm.

That must leave the the Tarot card and checking the link and it starts "With light step, as if earth and its trammels had little power to restrain him, a young man in gorgeous vestments pauses at the brink of a precipice among the great heights of the world; he surveys the blue distance before him-its expanse of sky rather than the prospect below." Having seen the picture of him resplendent in his bananna yelow aerostitch in the snow it surely fits.

:)

possible yes, but the filter still gets hot. putting the pump more to the front, so it gets more wind, might be better. Al has made an extensive work of this, all documented here

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...75&hl=fuel-pump

and look here

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=462

62082[/snapback]

Thanks for the links, it is very interesting reading.

In all the cases I've heard about, including my own, the vapor lock occurs when the bike has been parked for 10-- 15 mins.  Heat builds up as the pump and inlet sits right above the cylinder when on side stand.  20 mins later its fine again.  It isn't a problem when the bike is moving, and you should have air flow over it when running.  Locating pump inside tank provided a cool liquid for the pump to stay cool in. 

All you need to do is shield the inlet line to the pump and MAYBE shield the pump itself.  I shielded the line only and have not had the problem reoccur.  I'm convinced the vapor lock is in the line before the pump, not in the pump itself.  If there is vapor in the pump but fluid at the intake, pump will still pump fluid.  If inlet to pump is vapor then pump will not overcome the suction.

In terms of volume, you will get vapor in the fuel line before enough heat builds in the pump to vaporize the fuel there.

It's a $20 fix and takes half an hour.  No need to over engineer the problem.

As for heat escaping... not a problem as it never builds up to begin with. Hey Bad MG what do you suggest as the best method to insulate the fuel line between the petcock and the pump inlet? Thanks Rick :mg:

cheers,

Rj

62083[/snapback]