Changed x-over, got blue pipes

Guest rollingthunder

Guest rollingthunder

I finally got around to fitting my Stucchi x-over last weekend, and spent about 6 hours cleaning and polishing the (header) pipes. Apart from a stud breaking and one pipe not fitting too well, all went reasonably OK. However... having run the bike for 40 miles the pipes are now heavily blued. I anticipated a slight change in mixture after fitting the x-over, but is it usual for it to have such an immediate and marked impact? I'm assuming that the bike is now running very lean, hence hot?

Am I being over cautious in not riding it for the time being - until I can get it retuned? I don't want to melt the pistons etc!

Thanks in advance.

Sam

NB She sounds even better now - and goes like fury :grin:

Get in touch with Todd at Guzzitech and get a PC111. Makes a hell of a difference. I drilled 6 46mm holes in the top of my airbox too, apart from that my specs are identical to yours.

Dyno it too.

I think if you turn the tps up slightly, it willrun a wee bit richer, anyone got any experience?

I have a Stucchi X over with Mistrals- the bike runs brilliantly after being set up on the dyno with a PC111 but the header pipes are still blue- in fact every Guzzi (5 to date) I have owned has had heavily blued downpipes- I would not worry too much about it but as Big J says you can still make improvements.

Guy :helmet:

Guest rollingthunder

Thanks everyone - I'm a bit more at ease now, although I'll still be using my 4 wheeled chariot until I've sorted out the mixture on my bambino. The PC III is the next item on the wishlist - just waiting for one to appear on eBay :D Can't justify spending another GBP300 after just spending GBP200 on the x-over! (Especially as I need a new turbo for the Volvo...)

All the best,

Sam :bier:

yep, just ride it :bike: , but get a PC111usb soon, you'll notice the difference.

Hobbsport over near Keighley (W. Yorkshire) did a good job setting mine and Guzziriders bikes up with custom maps, it'll cost a bit more but well worth it (and surely the Volvo can do without a turbo for a while...umm V11 bits or Volvo bits...I know where my money would go :grin: )

Mal :helmet:

I finally got around to fitting my Stucchi x-over last weekend, and spent about 6 hours cleaning and polishing the (header) pipes. Apart from a stud breaking and one pipe not fitting too well, all went reasonably OK. However... having run the bike for 40 miles the pipes are now heavily blued. I anticipated a slight change in mixture after fitting the x-over, but is it usual for it to have such an immediate and marked impact? I'm assuming that the bike is now running very lean, hence hot?

Am I being over cautious in not riding it for the time being - until I can get it retuned? I don't want to melt the pistons etc!

Thanks in advance.

Sam

NB She sounds even better now - and goes like fury  :grin:

62155[/snapback]

Does she pop during accelaeration or deceleration. If no I would ride her and not worry although the PC111usb is a must for the long run.

You can always check the TPS setting, make a note of it, and then richen up the setting a bit (if it's running lean which it probably is). It's not like it can't be set back, right?

Guest ratchethack

Thanks in advance.

Sam

NB She sounds even better now - and goes like fury  :grin:

62155[/snapback]

Sam, I've got the same bike as you with about the same miles (26K), and have essentially the same confg. (mods). For the most part I agree with all the comments above. Todd Eagan is Your Man on PC III. His recommendation for an "off the shelf" map to match my config has worked out so well for me that for the most part I've not felt the need to do a custom map, since it runs like a Champ - smooth, strong, no hesitations or flat-spots, and gets decent mileage...

The "off the shelf" map I'm using came from the same bike with stock compression ratio, stock intake, Stucchi crossover, and FBF oval carbon mufflers. It's the "003" map from Todd. If you go to a different intake setup than stock, you'll definitely need a different map.

I wouldn't hesitate to throw my recommendation for a PC III on the pile. IMHO, it's the most important change you can make. The bluing on your pipes shouldn't be much of a concern in itself (mine's a honey-bluish color, which is normal). Your concern about running too lean and holing a piston is valid - that is, until you get the PC III, map, and get the TPS set to run with the PC III per Todd's recommendation at 500-525 mV (TB linkage connected). :thumbsup:

Guest rollingthunder
Does she pop during accelaeration or deceleration.  If no I would ride her and not worry although the PC111usb is a must for the long run.

62262[/snapback]

Does she pop? Oh yes - and how!!! Cars were pulling over about 100 yds ahead - I'd imagine shotguns sound pretty similar :whistle:

I'll have a word with Hobbsport and Todd to see what they say.

Thanks all once again

Sam :bier:

Guest rollingthunder
Sam, I've got the same bike as you with about the same miles (26K), and have essentially the same confg. (mods).  I agree with all the comments above.  Todd Eagan is Your Man on PC III.  His recommendation for an "off the shelf" map to match my config has worked out so well for me that for the most part I've not felt the need to do a custom map, since it runs like a Champ - smooth, strong, no hesitations or flat-spots, and gets decent mileage... 

Another nod for Todd - must be damn good as everyone seems to recommend him!

Thanks Ratchethack

Does she pop? Oh yes - and how!!! Cars were pulling over about 100 yds ahead - I'd imagine shotguns sound pretty similar :whistle:

I'll have a word with Hobbsport and Todd to see what they say.

Thanks all once again

Sam  :bier:

62296[/snapback]

If she's popping that bad then don't ride her and call Todd ASAP. I purchased my PC's from Todd.

Mike

Guest rollingthunder
If she's popping that bad then don't ride her and call Todd ASAP.  I purchased my PC's from Todd.

Mike

62355[/snapback]

I haven't ridden her since last weekend - I'll be setting her up properly this weekend :) I've also emailed Todd at GuzziTech - the exchange rate is rather good for us Brits at the moment - USD330 equals under GBP200.

A friend fitted a PCIII to his Ducati and said that his bike had been transformed. I also like the fact that I can remap it when fitting the std exhausts back on for the annual inspection... :whistle:

Thanks all

RT

I have similar exhaust setup as you with the FBF airbox mod. When you get your PC, I can supply you my custom map if you would like to try it. Would recommend eventually you get it dyno tuned as they all appear to be individual (like us!) :P