Ride pics and Ducatti clutch question...

Guest Britcheflee

Hard to see in the pictures but my brother in law was riding a BMW F 650 GS Dakar - so does that complete the engine configuration 'set'?  apart from a wankel I suppose - 

62910[/snapback]

The little BMW is a single - Has four valve head and twin pipes. The second can isn't a true can or a dummy but a first box in the exhaust system on the more recent models

The little BMW is a single -

62938[/snapback]

and it's not even a BMW really, or at least it wasn't

Upswept pipes distinguish this Duck as an S2R, which uses the 803cc motor. (unless it's S4R with 996 racing killer engine?  Maybe so.)  900 motor scrapped a few years ago in favor of the 1000 dual spark motor and this one, a beauty to ride actually.  Next year Ducati will install the 1000cc motor with S2R bling.  Some of us Guzzi guys are a little fond of dry clutch noise too, but the ducati race replicas (999, 749) sound like coffee cans full of bolts when they cruise into the local hangout.

Yah, who could forget the lowly parallell twin??  Most of us cut our teeth on one or more jap parallells, right?  I know I did. Old bonnevilles?    oh yeah, I guess I've heard of them, too.  T120, as in die at 120mph?  I remember now.  :blush:

On second look, I think it is an S4R........that's a lotta bike for a woman that size.  Wow, no wonder she can pass you, she only need twist the throttle.

62892[/snapback]

Yeah you're right, that's a 4 valve head, and a radiator, so it's an S4R. Actually, that will be an aftermarket or factory option vented cover, it's main purpose to vent heat from a clutch that may be used in a superbike race start, because it is not in a cooling oil bath. In reality, is installed to a bike by people who want the unmistakable sound of a Ducati dry clutch to be heard by others, for various reasons we all know. The clutch has a limited life compared to a wet clutch [spoken fron experience] mainly in the aluminum basket which loses the battle between it and the plates rattling inside it, and causes the plate slots to become bigger, more loud as a result, and affects clutch release after a while.

Thankfully for Ducati lovers, the newer ST3 has adopted a new wet clutch, and it is fairly bulletproof now.

As for that other twin, the parallel twin, it should be pointed out that this configuration saw many crank timing differences, which affected sound, power output, and vibration levels. A 360, 90/90, 180, all crank configurations. So, there may be an argument for more than 4 different twin configurations. I have much experience with a 360 degree crank parallel twin, the Norton 850. Like the older Meriden Triumphs, BSA's, Matchless, Ariel, Royal Enfield, etc, this configuration often resulted in unaceptable vibration over 650cc, if revved high. But the sound was generally regarded as glorious, and bottom end torque was impressive.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Steve_W
On second look, I think it is an S4R........that's a lotta bike for a woman that size.  Wow, no wonder she can pass you, she only need twist the throttle.

Yup, it's an S4R; it has a radiator, the S2R does not. I envy her ride, if not the maintenance regimen on that puppy.

As for that other twin, the parallel twin, it should be pointed out that this configuration saw many crank timing differences, which  affected sound, power output, and vibration levels. A 360, 90/90, 180, all crank configurations.

62991[/snapback]

What's a 90/90 crank?

mike