Ultra-Ouch!

slug

Moscow Oct 1.

63696[/snapback]

Yikes.

Only experience I've had like that was in an amateur bicycle race in Bassano del Grappa, Italy, c.1980, i.e., when I was actually fit. :blush:

Anyway, this race had many hundreds of cyclists, all crowded wheel to wheel, and shoulder to shoulder at the start. We were all overlapping each other front to back and side to side so that we could not move at all.

I was about 3/4 of the way back. At precisely the scheduled start time, you could literally feel this blob of metal and flesh tense and start to roll, beginning, obviously, at the front, but transmitting the sensation of the movement all the way to the back of the pack.

BTW, the smell in the middle of that mass was not charming. Some of these guys--and it was all guys--of all sizes, shapes, and bathing habits stank of last night's everything. Blech. Still, we all felt the joy that comes with being part of something big and fun.

And, while I am on this little tangent, I had learned some time before that many fat old (or what I thought was old at the time!) men with bandy legs could outstroke me up mountain switchbacks. As I was then a pretty serious "pedal bike" rider, I never let these locals drop me, but it was a near thing now and then. Sneaky bastards. :notworthy:

So, we started to roll. The first few hundred feet of molassas-speed travel were filled with all of us leaning against each other as we started off, getting shoes into clips, and making other adjustments. We were just making the transition from a barely balanced walking pace to what could be called riding speed when, about 500 feet from push-off, something went very wrong about a 1/3 way from the lead riders.

Someone or several riders went down. Then, in what I can still vividly hear and feel, the many-domino-line crash began. I now know what a collision of armies sounded like before firearms. Curses, screams, groans, clashing and clattering of metal, and the thud of bodies all made for an unforgettable ride. Through some skill but mostly blind luck, I threaded my way around, through, and even over some of the writhing bodies and machines. I can still see mental snapshots of contorted faces. :o:angry::wacko::unsure:

This may all sound overly dramatic as you read it; after all, big deal: a bicycle crash. But it was darn sure exciting at the time. I suspect that over 100 riders were involved. Many were, along with their mounts, only slightly injured and hopped up and rejoined the disappearing riders who had been ahead of or, as had I, escaped the cycling carnage. But some did get seriously hurt and I saw some beautiful machines completely trashed when we completed the race.

Perhaps this all very different than that Moscow collision of motorcycles, but on a bicycle that day in Bassano, there was little to no room for maneuver, and we all obeyed the laws of physics. I have been in or seen many other bicycle crashes, including some far more serious. But that one was the biggest by far and this post reminded me of it. Thanks for indulging my memory. :race:

Bill

Yikes.

Only experience I've had like that was in an amateur bicycle race in Bassano del Grappa, Italy, c.1980, i.e., when I was actually fit. :blush:

Bill

63705[/snapback]

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear I'm not the only cyclopath on this site :bier:

I've been down the same road as you (not litterally) - nothing worse than a bunch gallop with brainless riders (incl. yours truly) who all wanted to take the trophy.

I still have some 'memories' on my legs and elbows after several crashes but in those days we were told by our trainer that we were not 'real' riders unless we had a handful of scars on our knees...... :homer:

Ride on and stay on the road!

Søren