digital dashboard

docc

Not long ago one of us asked about accessing the onboard data of the ECU. A raging discussion ensued regarding all the aftermarket interfaces available.

At one time, I thought there was a simple source for a PC program to download to read the "dashboard' of the ECU. Simply monitoring temp, RPM and TPS would be helpful for us minimalists ( cheap bastards). :cheese:

Having hooked to the "Guzzi tool" on one occasion I found the tach to read about 300 rpm high. Not a big deal at 4500 maybe but significant when setting the TPS at idle. With the tach reading 1100rpm really was 800 set the TBS somewhat rich for the actual rpm.

Is there not a download or CD-rom for the "dashboard?" :huh2:

As far as I know, there is nothing free that works.

There are some open source onboard diagnostic software on the market that could conceivably be modified to work....I suspect that is how TuneBoy was created.

I believe our ECU was designed to block the open source software so that the TechnoResearch software would have the Monopoly.

TechnoResearch makes a "Digital Dashboard" for $169(US)

TechnoResearch also makes diagnostic software, and mapping software.

http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/Das...20Dashboard.htm

I am not sure if a PCIII has a tach feature, but it will give some indication of throttle postion.

TuneBoy tune edit software, maps, and can accurately show throttle position and RPM, but the current version does not have the TuneBoy full diagnostics. They charged me $210 for the tuneedit software with one key....your price may vary.

If you buy Cliff's ECU, you get the mapping and diagnostics and logging capabilities and WBO2 support and an optional optimizer.

http://www.opendiag.org/

I subscribed to their yahoo list, but I need to go back to school or read a lot of DRY books, if I intend to have a clue about what they are discussing.

From what I have read, they have gotten partial control of some Marelli ECUs, but I saw nothing mentioned of any Guzzi ECUs.

And even this solution is not free as you still need an OBD hardware interface :nerd:

PS with the TuneEdit Tach, my Veglia was pretty much spot on, but the digital read out is in such flux that it is difficult to read.

The throttle is indicated as being open two degrees when it is closed.

(I set the idle to about 1050rpm, my valves are .15/.20mm, my air screws are out a little more than recommended, and I suspect my TPS is off by 15mV at about 165mV with linkage disconnected. I'd like to reset the TPS to 150mV...someday)

Two hundred bucks is kinda steep just to read the sensors. I suppose I'll continue to back probe the ECU with straight pins and a digital meter and hook up my mercury sticks. :luigi:

What is the software that John O'Sullivan has for his Palm Pilot? It gives diagnostics of some sort. Must include rpm. I'm sure the Palm PDA programme was discussed before – any memories?

• 5 weeks later...

Techno Research has new options:(note prices for Palm versions may be lower???...they used to be.).

VDSTS-Pro Metric US $785

Available for Windows 95/98/2000/NT/XP Palm OS 3.25 or Higher, Pocket PC 2000, 2003, Windows Mobile 2003, Windows CE, CE.net

VDSTS-Standard US $195

Available for Windows 95/98/2000/NT/XP Palm OS 3.25 or Higher, Pocket PC 2000, 2003, Windows Mobile 2003, Windows CE, CE.net

VDSTS-Lite US $95 (Read Data Only, like the digital dashboard)

Windows 95/98/2000/NT/XP (and maybe the above listed Operating Systems)

Digital Dashboard US $169 This basically does what the VDSTS-Lite and a computer do, but no logging.

Scan-tool Plus Kind of like the Palm version of the standard VDSTS. (Pricing???)

Direct-Link ECU Mapping tool (Pricing???)

Windows 95/98/2000/NT/XP

They also sell PLX wide band oxygen sensor controllers....If only they sold an adapter for it to plug right in to the OBD connector.

And they have a product for the V10 Centauro and the V11 Breva that is kind of like a PCIII.

It is about $350 for fuel mapping and aobut $440 for fuel mapping and RPM limiting...I could not find the kit price, but I'll bet it is less....