Bypassing the Oil Cooler

Marc B

One of the oil lines is leaking and I can't get a replacement line for awhile, the local hydraulic shop has the parts to connect to the pan, but not the large banjo on the cooler, I can make a line that bypasses the cooler and can't think of a reason this would be a problem until I get the line, the average temp is around 55 degrees.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Marc

It has been mentioned on one of threads concerning the different sumps and external filters, that one of them does away with the cooler anyway. I think it was mentioned that the cooler was superfluous unless sat in traffic in Mediterranean climate, but I can't remember if this was with or without the extra capacity one of the deep sumps gave you. Try some searching it was within the last couple of weeks I'm sure.

Guest ratchethack

Marc, just my opinion, but going into Fall in Seattle I wouldn't think twice about disconnecting the oil cooler until next Summer if need be. The chances that the oil cooler thermo-valve would be opening before then are likely pretty slim. At your temps, even in the unlikely event it did open, there ain't much risk of overheating the fabulously over-finned Guzzi donk. No harm, no foul. Just my :2c:

A valve in the sump prevents oil from flowing through the oil cooler until the oil hits 75 C, and it doesn't fully open until about 85 C, so you'll be fine.

Where's it leaking? Mine has a weep at the lower compression fittings.

A valve in the sump prevents oil from flowing through the oil cooler  until the oil hits 75 C, and it doesn't fully open until about 85 C, so you'll be fine. 

Where's it leaking?  Mine has a weep at the lower compression fittings.

65341[/snapback]

Do you know why?

I was wondering if the leak was from there as I damaged one of the O rings. Not having a replacement, I cut one from something, can't remember what...a piece of hose or something..?

It has been fine – hasn't leaked. Today, as it happens, I bought packets of assorted small O rings in a plumbing dept, in case of future need.

That could be the simple fix required?

Replacing a whole line seems a bit drastic?

Thanks for the reassurance!!

It?s leaking at the lower compression fitting on the right side as sitting on the bike.

The reason for the delay in getting the hose, apparently the factory is shut down for a month to upgrade their computer system.

Marc

Thanks for the reassurance!!

It?s leaking at the lower compression fitting on the right side as sitting on the bike.

The reason for the delay in getting the hose, apparently the factory is shut down for a month to upgrade their computer system.

Marc

65351[/snapback]

Have you tried simply tightening it?

You could undo it and check the condition of the O rings, clean things up and put it back together, making sure it's tight.

Cant see you needing a new oil line for a leak from down there.

EDIT

you mention the hydraulic shop

did they take the line off to look at it?

Presumably they have O rings (you say they have the parts for the bottom joint) – did they not suggest fitting new ones?

Guest jedione68
One of the oil lines is leaking and I can't get a replacement line for awhile, the local hydraulic shop has the parts to connect to the pan, but not the large banjo on the cooler, I can make a line that bypasses the cooler and can't think of a reason this would be a problem until I get the line, the average temp is around 55 degrees.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Marc

65327[/snapback]

Sorry about the leak... its always fun finding those little

Guzzi items.

I'm with the boys on this one, ditch the cooler until ya can fix it,

and or plaining a trip to Death Valley. My 76 Lemans, thats been

beefed up to 992 CC, cam'd, machined, ported, you name it.

It runs all day at around the same temp. as my v11sport.

And it most certainly doesn't have a cooler.

Also, back in the early ninties, 2 valve Ducati's often ran to cool on the move.

I actually had to by an after market (Pre-"Ducati Performace" catalogues)

valve (for my 900ss) that would keep the oil from going to the cooler unless

you were stuck in traffic and the temp went up. Weird.

On finding the part locally, I'd keep trying.

If there's a decent "Hot-Rod" or High Performance auto stop.

Alot of the time these shops make all kinds of fittings on the spot.

And they'll useally have something that works since there are so

many ways of hot roding: V8, in line 4's w turbo's, NOS. You name it.

Not to mention, most fitting are from the auto market in the first place.

Good luck, take the cooler off, ride and smile. Then start shopping around.

Jedione68

Ah, that's good Paul.

Belfast, I presume that the valve prevents oil flow through the radiator at lower temps so the motor will warm up- or at least won't run cold, like the Jedi mentions.

Be careful when tightening the compression fittings- the threads are weak, and easy to strip. The fittings on my bike are standard plumbing fittings- I was going to wrap them with teflon next time I change the oil.

Guest jedione68
Ah, that's good Paul.

Belfast, I presume that the valve prevents oil flow through the radiator at lower temps so the motor will warm up- or at least won't run cold, like the Jedi mentions.

Be careful when tightening the compression fittings- the threads are weak, and easy to strip.  The fittings on my bike are standard plumbing fittings- I was going to wrap them with teflon next time I change the oil.

65422[/snapback]

JRT,

The Teflon works great! A good peace of mind when it comes

to "Not Wanting To" over-tighten things that ya dont want to leek.

Peace,

jedione68

P.S. Good old Paul, we've got to make him right a book!