Helmets

windchill

I get conflicting reports on flip-fronts. If you look at the weight, they are heavier than a standard full face, and when I swapped a "cooking" helmet for a "high end" Shoei, it was the light weight of the Shoei that made the most difference to long distance comfort.

Another thing to consider is whether flip-fronts are as safe if you fall on your face. I don't think they are, but I'm sure many people will disagree.

Biking friends say the best flip front is the BMW followed by the Schuberth. I don't know anyone with the MG one.

I looked at a lot of these helmets, and in the end, it was the weight issue that decided me on the conventional Shoei. I'm very happy with this lid, and will probably stick with Shoei in the future. I tried all the Arai helmets on, but my head was the wrong shape.

didnt know that this was an appropriate arena for the intricate debate of the helmet.... harharhar... (nice Helmut, dude...) nuff said. :grin:

my best mate owns a driving school, out of practical reasons he have to use flipfront helmets (like policemen), but he very strongly advices against them for regular driving. he has seen some bad examples of what happens when you: fumbles with flipfront in traffic; flipfront doesnt lock properly and flips open at 150 kmph. Flipfronts doesnt have the same close fit and strength as a full helmet, and what he also points out is that the only thing that stands between you and a plastic surgeon is a full helmet... call me a sissy (but take the consequences if you do :grin:), but it makes sense to me. so I always drive with a tight, light Shoei racing helmet.

but I do live in a country where temperatures seldom rise above fridge levels.

Guest rollingthunder

I've been riding with a BMW flipfront helmet for 18 months or so now - I have to say that its very useful when you wear spectacles and have to remove/open the helmet when paying for fuel! The downside is that, yes it is quite heavy, and something not mentioned yet - it is noisy. Far more so than I remember my full face Shoei being, although that was many many years ago!

Regarding helmets flipping open at speed, I think it is possible, although unlikely - when you use one of these you KNOW that you have to have both sides 'click' to secure the front - it becomes a habit the same as zipping up your gloves.

Having said all that, I'm considering eye surgery so that I won't need the specs any more - after that I'll probably get an Arai or Shoei, which I guess says it all! :D

I did 30,000 miles with the incredibly uncomfortable Schuberth helmet. It was expensive though so having bought it, I was compelled to use it. I did like the built in sun visor but everything else about the helmet was pretty much a loser. A $500 helmet needs better than a $2 chin strap. Faceshields were $54 each. Waaayyyyy too expensive for a piece of plastic that often as not, had bubbles and severe distortion spots in them. It was a painful helmet too. Odd shape inside. Eventually, I sold the turkey for $25 and bought another Nolan N-100. So what does this have in relation to the Guzzi helmet? Only this. If it is not a popular helmet with readily available replacement parts such as faceshields etc, there isn't much point in owning it as the convenience of it is far outweighed by the inconvenient lack of support. I've never seen a Guzzi helmet anywhere and can't imagine finding a replacement faceshield right after some car or truck has blasted your current one with a spray of road gravel. :2c:

Aha!! I bought a mega expensive Schuberth too, but never wear it!! The shape is "long" front to back and badly affected by side winds, or doing a "liofesaver" at any speed. Although it gets rave reviews for being quite, the thing is noisier than my Arai Signet: AND the visor mechanism is difficult.

Basically expensive but not very functional!!

I have 2 Roof Boxers - an original plastic one and a modern fiberglasss one. I know not everyone gets on with them and some complain of rain leaking in but I think this may be down to how well the visor is fitted.

With a 2P coin you can change the visor in 3 minutes and they are worth their weight in gold in the traffic in the summer heat and they are one of few flip ups you can ride at motorway speeds open face because the chin piece flips all the way to the back.

Cheapest place to buy Roofs is here. I hagggled and got £20 a dark visor too.

http://www.designerhelmets.com/index.php

I wear an Arai Quantum F in the winter- too cold for flip ups but funnily enough the Roof weighs less.

Guy :helmet:

Guest rollingthunder

Forgot to mention - the BMW is basically a rebadged Schuberth...

There are some good points - the visor comes off in 2 seconds flat without tools; it can be converted (at considerable expense!) to open face; you can buy a heavy duty guaranteed fog free visor (GBP80.00 when I checked last year); and the view out is comparatively expansive.

But as I said previously, I'll be getting a full face Arai or Shoei next time.

Useless facts:

Apparently the size and shape of heads is different from continent to continent. Helmets made in one continent doesnt fit people from another (alas, that is the rule).

I read a long article about it some time ago, one can probably "google" it up from somewhere.

For me as a "squarehead" from the north, these roundhead-helmets from Schubert/BMW or any of the italians just doesnt fit at all. wrong shape. mostly all japanese helmets fits me well. I've always wanted a Roof, they are evil!, but it fits me like an empty bucket of water.

And now that my nose and ears has started growing again with age, I dont know what to buy....

Strongly recommend Shoei, though.