Guzzi clutch/flywheel question

bigbikerrick

So, deburring the cam plates has become like shimming the old shift drum?

And these single plate clutches/flywheels - are the parts numbers different between Scura, Tenni and Mandello Rosso?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....As for the *original* RAM unit? I've heard nothing but good of them and am not aware of any that have grenaded or worn out prematurely....

Pete,

Used in what? I have a RAM in my Tonti, Scura puts out a fair bit more HP. Not saying failures are related to HP but it's a pos factor.

Seems to me it's still unclear if failures are down to:

- Bad design (Guzzi rehash or original inadequate for output) which means all are likely to break.

- Bad manufacture/materials or Bad assembly which means that possibly not all bikes will be affected.

Failure does not seem to be related to miles. Nor is it obvious that it comes from type of use. It'd be interesting to know if Scuras had gbox failures more than V11 average.

I don't want to go back to the twin plate. Great on a touring bike but that's not what I use the bikes for now.

What clutch is in the Griso?

KB :sun:

As for the *original* RAM unit? I've heard nothing but good of them and am not aware of any that have grenaded or worn out prematurely. The Scura items, although made by the same company, are to a modified design specified by Guzzi, (WHY??????? :huh2: ) and although I haven't had the chance to do a direct comparison I believe that the actual flywheel itself is thinner, especially around the mounting boss which in itself is a bloody stupid to remove material as the closer to the axis the weight is the less inertia it carries and less influence it has on the whole wretched assembley.

Pete

66530[/snapback]

Agreed, taking material away from the boss is crazy. Little benefit and maximising failure hazard.

Hasn't the latest RAM design gone back to a more substantial boss?

Nige. :unsure:

Pete,

Used in what? I have a RAM in my Tonti, Scura puts out a fair bit more HP. Not saying failures are related to HP but it's a pos factor.

What clutch is in the Griso?

KB :sun:

66615[/snapback]

No idea what's in the Griso. Greg Field works at Moto International and has been drooling over the parts book/fische/download but he's away at the moment as his Gran just died and he's had to fly over to her funeral. Perhaps he'll be able to tell us when he gets back.

As for HP? The RAM clutches I've installed have been in a couple of Tontis and one quite hairy 1100 Sport, so far I've had no suggestion from the customer that anything has gone wrong but I don't know what mileage he may or may not have done as he went away and didn't come back. :huh2:

Pete