loose end

staedtler

Lately i noticed the back woobles under hard acceleration.... <_>

i don't recall this before...tire pressure is fine and the settings are pretty much

ok so far. no problems cornering or anything else that i can think of...

I notice this problem when making a pass,...usually packs of harleys or cages,

(usually groups in front) as soon as i downshift, get on the left and hit it, i can clearly feel the bike wobbling left and right from the back...it goes away after a couple of seconds, but it's notiseble...

is the back too soft? or is it the other way around?

Maybe it's nothing, maybe i'm floggin the hell out of it... :huh2:

any ideas?

Mine does that too...especially if I have a passenger. With a pillion I always have to remind myself to be very smooth. If I crank it hard - wobbly! Can be quite unnerving when trying to get around a cage before that big oncoming truck flattens me.

Messed around with the rear shock (sachs) with no success... :huh2:

Rj

I had a Norton Commando that did this too. It was due to loose isolastics, but even with those shimmed up right the bike still felt loose as you describe if really pushed. I have never experienced this on the Guzzi though.

First, check the tyre pressures.

Then I would check the swingarm bearings, the reaction rod bushes and the wheel/bevelbox for play. The other thing I might check is that all the nuts are tight round the porkchop area.

If all that is ok. Ride slower.

I agree with Nogbad, check your rear tire pressure. Also make sure the balance weight is still on the rim maybe? It just sounds like the its the back tire or the rim from your description. Oh also make sure the nut that holds the rear wheel on the axle is still tight.

His seemed to handle fine!

66069[/snapback]

So did mine, it just felt like your ass was describing small circles when wide open and leaned over in the lower gears. It never felt like it would let go, just a little flexible.....

I use to race a Norton Commando to work every morning on my 400 four in the 80s- he always beat me and used to grind his boots every morning at ridiculous lean angles!

His seemed to handle fine!

66069[/snapback]

I've got a Commando. They do 'tail waggle', but this is something you get used to. Even if the isolastics are cranked up, they do it. It's nothing to worry about. And I've owned a 400-4 as well. Sweetheart, but horribly gutless, and the original shocks on those went off in about 3000 miles!

With regards to the handling of the spine frame, these frames also have a tendency to do this, though much less, and at a higher speed [above 85 mph]. This particular trait on your bike, may I offer the possibility that it's cooling off just a bit [even in San Antonio] to the point the tire may not be heating up as it was previously.

Ciao, Steve G.

:stupid: My guess too, a lot of v11's haven't got the right size of spacer between the two rear wheel bearings. Lots of info on that when you do a search.

66090[/snapback]

:D I have two left.

How's the rear tire wearing? If it's squared off even a bit, that can give a squirrly feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

it wiggles like a mo...fo...!

i'm just back from a day's test ride, to get to the bottom of the issue.

here's what i figured, wind blast baby...when overtaking, i think that i get on the backdraft of the thing infront of me, as soon as i open left...boom! it just moves left and right, of course all this under heavy acceleration...(it was particulary windy today :glare: )...

now, here is the problem,...it happened again when hitting a hard 90 to 135/140 :grin: roll on...

downshift, hit it and then...the bike just wiggled left and right, not quite a tankslapper but yes, it was very present... :helmet: i repeated the experiment several times... and it does not happen every time, :huh2: it might have to do with the road surface? body position? i'm not sure.

all test were perfomed by a professional rider on a closed course :not:

it wiggles like a mo...fo...!

i'm just back from a day's test ride, to get to the bottom of the issue.

here's what i figured, wind blast baby...when overtaking, i think that i get on the backdraft of the thing infront of me, as soon as i open left...boom! it just moves left and right, of course all this under heavy acceleration...(it was particulary windy today :glare: )...

now, here is the problem,...it happened again when hitting a hard 90 to 135/140  :grin:  roll on...

downshift, hit it and then...the bike just wiggled left and right, not quite a tankslapper but yes, it was very present... :helmet:  i repeated the experiment several times... and it does not happen every time,  :huh2: it might have to do with the road surface? body position? i'm not sure.

all test were perfomed by a professional rider on a closed course  :not:

67192[/snapback]

A 90 to 135-140 roll-on? Surely we can't be talking MPH here! More like a top end lay on the tank and wait with V11 power, at 140mph.

Yeah, these bikes are not like a ZX11 or Hyabusa at those speeds. If these are the speeds you like to hang out at, perhaps a big open class Japper is what you are looking for.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest ratchethack
A 90 to 135-140  roll-on? Surely we can't be talking MPH here! More like a top end lay on the tank and wait with V11 power, at 140mph.

:rasta::lol: