proper method for checking oil

bigbikerrick

Do you check the oil level on the v 11 on the sidestand or straight up? I know the manual says to screw it in to check the level, but doesnt specify  if on the stand or straight. up.  :homer: Thanks , and greetings from sunny Arizona.

66686[/snapback]

Upright, thou the really clever people (allegedly)do it once make sure its right then do it again on the side stand and put a notch in the dip stick so in future they only ever have to do it on the side stand

Upright, thou the really clever people (allegedly)do it once make sure its right then do it again on the side stand and put a notch in the dip stick  so in future they only ever have to do it on the side stand

66690[/snapback]

LOL! What you suggest is SO obvious that it never even occured to me. For years I've been warming up my bikes, letting them sit the specified amount of time, straddling them, standing up as straight as I can manage, bending over and unscrewing dip-sticks then screwing them back in and then checking the level... :P<_>

I can't believe I've overlooked this totally obvious alternative...once again I'm amazed at what a putz I am. :(

LOL!

...once again I'm amazed at what a putz I am.  :(

66693[/snapback]

Hey! We're not lettin' anybody else say that about you! We spiney types stick together. :angry:

The dipstick goes in at an angle, and if the bike is on the sidestand that angle becomes very shallow. The accuracy of the check won't be as good on the sidestand, and you have to be even more careful not to wobble the stick getting it out. Just my :2c:

The dipstick goes in at an angle, and if the bike is on the sidestand that angle becomes very shallow. The accuracy of the check won't be as good on the sidestand, and you have to be even more careful not to wobble the stick getting it out.  Just my  :2c:

66716[/snapback]

I think so too, so I keep it upright rather than do a sidestand adjustment. Put I just hold the bike up straight while I do it – nothing elaborate, no contortions from the saddle etc. Keep it simple and it's a straightforward job.

I think so too, so I keep it upright rather than do a sidestand adjustment. Put I just hold the bike up straight while I do it – nothing elaborate, no contortions from the saddle etc. Keep it simple and it's a straightforward job.

66720[/snapback]

I get my wife to hold the bike up. I can then take my time with the checking.

I get my wife to hold the bike up.

I can then take my time with the checking.

...have a cup of tea, watch some telly

get a full chemical analysis etc etc

66737[/snapback]

strong_woman.jpg

even if Nogbad can't

I use the on sidestand method for frequent quick checks, but if I think it needs topping, I straighten it up to estimated how much I need and top and re-measure upright.

...and real man don't need there wives to keep it upright and get the job done, but I guess it is more fun with two. :wub:

...and real man don't need there wives to keep it upright

66772[/snapback]

Dunno about you, but she always manages to keep mine upright as it happens..... What do "real" men use then? Their right hand? Their secretaries? Someones wife other than their own? Enlighten us pray do.....!

Dunno about you, but she always manages to keep mine upright as it happens..... What do "real" men use then? Their right hand? Their secretaries? Someones wife other than their own? Enlighten us pray do.....!

66783[/snapback]

DL uses a side-stand, he says.

DL uses a side-stand, he says.

66793[/snapback]

Not the Guzzi stand I hope. It doesn't look smooth enough and I would worry about his health. And that's kinky and I'm not sure I approve.