Condensation in Tach

Jim Malm

I see in the FAQ area on common problems that the way to eliminate condensation in the tachometer is to drill a small hole in the instrument. I haven't been able to locate any specifics on exactly what size hole is appropriate or where to drill that hole. Could someone point me to the instructions on that fix or let me know what size hole is needed and where it should be drilled? Thanks!

Jim

Guest ratchethack

Jim, when riding the coulees out of Spokane (I'm a more'n a little envious!), it'll be a challenge to keep out condensation no matter where you put the hole or how big. But I'd put one on each low point at the bottom of the plastic nacelle that houses the instruments, just so that accumulated condensation doesn't get a chance to pool up and re-vaporize. Have you ridden the Okanagan up to Penticton?

Thanks for the reply. I'll go investigate the instrument setup to see if I can figure the best spot to drill some holes. Is a 0.25" hole about the right size to allow drainage and ventilation? It's interesting that the tach seems to be the only one of the pair that has the condensation problem so far.

I haven't ridden the Okanagan-Penticton route you mentioned, but will put it on my list to try. Most of my riding is short jaunts around here with some forays into the rolling hills of the Palouse.

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I'll go investigate the instrument setup to see if I can figure the best spot to drill some holes.  Is a 0.25" hole about the right size to allow drainage and ventilation? It's interesting that the tach seems to be the only one of the pair that has the condensation problem so far.

67019[/snapback]

Exactly what I thought too, but I have found that nothing works to stop the misting. Thoroughly drying it out, drilling holes... it still mists.

see here for more info

However Jaap has said that it worked for his clock, so :huh2: