Brembo front pad depth

belfastguzzi

Does anyone happen to know what thickness the OE front brake pads are, new?

I needed new rear pads and bought a complete new set of EBC pads. I'm interested that the original front pads, with 6,000 miles of wear, are still as thick as the brand new EBC Double H pads.

Guest ratchethack

My next set of Ferodo Premium's, ready & waitin' in the "moto spares" cabinet, are 6mm (pad only, not including backing plate).

My next set of Ferodo Premium's, ready & waitin' in the "moto spares" cabinet, are 6mm (pad only, not including backing plate).

67060[/snapback]

ah, right, thanks. The EBC are only about 4mm

the Brembos are probably 6mm too then

I changed mine to Ferodo also. I'm not sure how long the originals lasted . I did have a set changed at about 6K. As the dealer only charged £13 for parts I assume a rear set only. On the return from the Erin I'd worn my rears right down at 12k, and I changed the fronts at 15K.

IMG_1312.jpg

Almost at 18k best I have another look at my rears.

Do I get these wear rates because:

I don't brake hard enough with the front

The size differential between the pad areas 1:5

Rear wards weight bias of the bike

I've got big Policeman's feet :)

Rear brake's dragging?

67097[/snapback]

No I don't think so , spins freely. I think its big feet and size of pad, coupled with weight distribution meaning that doesn't lock up, probably could brake a bit harder on the front under normal conditions.

My V11 seems to be heavy on rear pads, too, Martin. Mind you, if you usually ride your bike loaded as per the picture, I'm surprised they last as long as they do!

When I had my Trident, I used a French make of sintered pad [bought in England, but can't remember the make offhand], which nearly doubled the pad life.

I changed my rears at 8K, and there is still a lot of meat on the front. I don't tend to brake that hard with the rear, but in wet city riding of which I do a fair bit, the rear brake is used a lot for control against a pulling throttle when taking slippy roundabouts, U turns etc. Otherwise the lumpy delivery and jerkiness would probably have me off.

I just accept it only has small rear pads, and they are going to wear out fast.

Yes, mine are well worn after 6K while the fronts are still as good as a new pair of EBCs! That surprised me. The EBCs don't have the vertical grooves cut in the front pads: how do the Ferodos compare with the originals?

EBC were £50 for front & rear. Didn't price Brembo as there is nowhere to walk in and buy them, but I assumed they'd be a lot more expensive. :huh2:

Ferodo (premium?)? :huh2:

I use EBC carbon lorraine rear pads, and as well as smelling of fish, last me about 3000 miles a time- they are very thin and I do tend to use to rear brake a fair bit to steady the bike.

Original front pads lasted 10000 miles but they are much thicker. Have replaced them too with EBC sintered and they seem to be lasting well.

Guy :helmet:

I put EBC sintered in my rear brake and they took a fair time to bed in. Until the had bedded in the brake juddered and squeaked quite badly on initial application. The effect disappeared after about 200 miles.

Martin, check your rear rotor for scoring- it looks like you had metal-on-metal contact.

67125[/snapback]

That's what gave it away I'd just finished doing North Wales on the way back from Ireland with KB and as I came up to a round about on brake aplication there was the nasty noise. I did one more controlled application and identified the noise as the rear brake. Stopped and checked it them made the rest of the journey home without touching the rear brake, was 150 miles of dual carraigeway and motorway.

Luckily no scoring.

Sinterd pads have a high metal content - makes them last longer but wears the rotors down quicker. No to bad on the car where you can get a pair of ventalated discs and pads ( VW Scirocco) in 1998 for £50. as opposed to £130 for a single Yamaha ventalated disc for FJ1200. I'd rather by pads. Endurance racers run hard pads as they change the rotors when they do wheel changes. They same as a Police driver we are taught to brake and double de clutch save wear on the clutch, brake pads being cheaper than clutches.

Just checked mine again to night rear is down to 2mm or less pad, seem to last as long as a tyre.