porkchop removal

Guest ckamin

Surprise, surprise, the factory paint on the '03 V11 porkchops stinks. I am going to have them powder-coated and be done with it. So..... figuring that I remove/powdercoat/replace one at a time, are there any tips/tricks that one can share? Does anything need to be supported?

With regards to lifts, I have a Craftsman motorcycle jact with the Dunwell V11 support bracket and a regular 2 ton floorjack. If I am not mistaken, with one of the porkchops removed the swingarm should still be kept in place by the porkchop on the opposite side. Will there be any alignment issues??

Thanks for the help!

-Carl

Guest ratchethack

Carl, I found that crabbing the frame for trans removal is most easily accomplished by removing only the left-hand side porkchop. This allows you to leave the rear subframe supported by the RHS porkchop, thereby saving some time-consuming steps. Though the procedures are very similar, I'd recommend doing both 'chops at the same time as long as you need 'em both out.

A friend of mine just recently powder-coated his 'chops (looks great!). There're no shortcuts here. Yeah, everything needs to be supported. I suppose it'd be possible to do one side at a time, but I don't think this'd buy you anything. Best have plenty of support options on hand, including the ability to hang the rear subframe from overhead (a beam, or some other support). As a safety precaution, it wouldn't hurt to support the front end from above also. You wouldn't be able to keep the swingarm in place with one 'chop removed. Best take it out first thing.

It's a great opportunity to clean, re-torque, thread-lock, grease where it needs it but doesn't get any in Mandello, and generally become one with the machine. :luigi: Have fun! :thumbsup:

I have worn through the paint where my boots rub on the 'chops. I love it, it looks like a proper used motorcycle, not some object of worship from the concours exhibition shrine.

There are many things in life that matter to me, but wear on the finish of my motorbike isn't one of them.... :race:

To a certain extent I agree with you. However, when factory paint starts to chip and flake off for no reason other than poor quality, I have issues. It is embarrassing to me to be proud of the motorcycle I ride when it came from the factory with poor build quality. For heavens sake, God only knows how many of the factory quirks I have fixed by merely reading the different topics on this forum!

-Carl

You could probably have the swingarm powdercoated while you have it off. Maybe a cool custom color that maybe compliments the pork chops & the valve covers?

67653[/snapback]

Hi guys, I have recently acquired a v11 mandello rosso#201 and the tappet covers and porkchops have been painted a less than italian racing red colour and I too would like to get them poder coated or at least backe to the Coke can colour of the tank. However my local auto crash repairer is having trouble getting a match on the paint colour. QUESTION is there anyone out there who might know the guzzi paint code for the candy apple red of the tank, by any chance.????

Thanks Morris sod