• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh?  How do you say "stick shift" in English, then? :huh2:

68215[/snapback]

"Gear lever"  or  "Gear stick". 

68216[/snapback]

And it comes out of the floor none of this continental out of the dash board, or American (steering) column please :D

And it comes out of the floor none of this continental out of the dash board, or American (steering) column please  :D

68219[/snapback]

Oh picky, picky!!

Next you'll want the shifter on the right side of the bike, with first gear "up" and the rest "down"............................. (like it should be!!) :race:

What's wrong with a column shifter? I've got a three-on-the-tree in my truck :bier:

I was always partial to the push-button transmissions however. Those look cool.

Nowadays, I have this goofy-assed knob on the Prius, which makes no sense ( and thus is the perfect car for me?)

Check it out:

There's a weird knob for drive/reverse, but big button for park. :huh2:

photo_2.jpg

And why is it going 55mph with NO DRIVER???!!!

I like to be in control of gear shifts- have only driven an automatic once and I hated it.

In the UK, automatic transmission tends to be specified by only elderly and disabled people who want an easy drive.

The performance of an automatic version of the same car is nearly always slower, although I can understand in the USA that your roads are different and auto trans may be better for you.

Plus if I had a automatic I would not be able to do rolling burnouts on the empty moors so easily!

Guy

In drag racing an autobox is quicker,no time wasted changing gear.

Also,afaik, the torque multiplication factor of the torque convertor acually makes it more efficient at peak torque.

I like an autobox with a big engine,effortless smokin around.

You can't push start autos. And they have to run well enough so that when you put it in Drive, the motor won't quit. A lot of my vehicles would have been severly limited by these two alone :) . And I am a firm believer that a stick, requiring more interaction with the vehicle, keeps more attention of the driver on driving and less on cell phones, loud music, road signs, make up, and whatever the hell else so many people do in cars besides drive and look out for me (us) on bikes. :angry: As for the clutch on my bike, I don't use it hardly at all after the 1-2 upshift, for normal riding (the lower RPM's are easy enough to match smoothly). But for harder pulls of the throttle, I'll dip it in an inch or so. Downshifts I'll clutch I guess, too. FWIW, anyway.

After reading the replies in this topic, I am no longer suprised about the number of grenaded UJs.

m

68321[/snapback]

whats a UJ? But I do know I've driven a dump truck and there is no shifting those without a clutch the one I Was in had 4 gears and 3 ranges, it was Crazy! so is that a 12 speed?

You can't push start autos.

68275[/snapback]

I had a 1954 Pontiac with a hydramatic transmission that I could push start. It had a straight 8 in it and that was the smoothest running motor I've ever driven.

And they have to run well enough so that when you put it in Drive, the motor won't quit.
:grin: