Oil Leak After Crash!

Dr Gil

Sounds good Doc.

I didn't like where the crack was through the bolt hole otherwise

I would have went with the JB Weld...especially since your now

the resident expert on this job (!) it would have been a breeze for you

to go back in if it didn't work.

With the good deal you got on the new piece it's the only

way to go. Now it's a race between delivery and the parts gremlins.

It's going to be tough on all of us waiting for your post that says...

"Well I got 150mi on it today...no leaks and I LOVE this friggin bike"

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds good Doc.

I didn't like where the crack was through the bolt hole otherwise

I would have went with the JB Weld...especially since your now

the resident expert on this job (!) it would have been a breeze for you

to go back in if it didn't work.

With the good deal you got on the new piece it's the only

way to go. Now it's a race between delivery and the parts gremlins.

It's going to be tough on all of us waiting for your post that says...

"Well I got 150mi on it today...no leaks and I LOVE this friggin bike"

70174[/snapback]

It's coming Ouiji...I can "FEEL" it! I've been notified that ALL the parts (cover and seal) are on their way (how many times have I said this now...sigh?)

...but in the meantime please go visit my "tail light assembly" thread and sort out my electrics would ya? :huh2: No time off for anyone until this bad-girl is back on the road!!! :race:

You're doing the right thing Gil. Fix it once, fix it right, forget about it. Much as I have found many uses for JB, and Ratchet may be correct that it will be fine, but I always look at wether I want to do the job again...and in this case, I'd replace the cover.

You should be able to send payment quick, even at this time of year. You're getting a great deal on the cover so use expedited or registered air mail to get your money over there quick.

Make sure whatever you send to them, they can cash there! I've had people send me money for things only to go back and forth a couple of times because they've sent me payment I can't cash...

cheers, hope you're back on the lady soon!

Rj

You're doing the right thing Gil.  Fix it once, fix it right, forget about it.  Much as I have found many uses for JB, and Ratchet may be correct that it will be fine, but I always look at wether I want to do the job again...and in this case, I'd replace the cover.

You should be able to send payment quick, even at this time of year.  You're getting a great deal on the cover so use expedited or registered air mail to get your money over there quick.

Make sure whatever you send to them, they can cash there!  I've had people send me money for things only to go back and forth a couple of times because they've sent me payment I can't cash...

cheers, hope you're back on the lady soon!

Rj

70248[/snapback]

Good advice all around Rj and it's exactly what I did. ;) The people at HMB Guzzi were wonderful about corresponding with me by email (and they speak ENGLISH!). As soon as I'd send a query off to them they responded within 1/2 hour. They take no PayPal or credit cards so I went down to my bank and did a bank transfer in Euros to them for a small fee. They had given me an account number to deposit into.

After all is said and done I have both an '03 timing cover and a replacement seal on the way. Now I wait. No problem though...I still have several other chores to do on the bike while I'm waiting. :luigi:

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the timing cover replacement. :luigi:

I purchased one of those ridiculously inexpensive (59 Euros) from HMB Guzzi in Germany that Paul turned me onto. They came through like champs. I replaced my crinkle painted '02 cover for a shiny black '03 but it looks fine and as soon as I cover it with mud and dust no one will ever notice it doesn't exactly match. ;)

I spent the afternoon trying to remember where everything goes and getting it back together in the proper order (only had to redo everything twice...near record for me). I think I can proudly announce that my timing cover and alternator are back on the bike and situated as they should be.

I have to being a bit nervous about rebolting the sub-frame back up. There was this nagging voice in the back of my head that once the frame bolts were removed that perhaps the frame would shift (because it was maybe tweaked in the accident and my untrained eye missed it) and I had no idea what I would do then...bent frame, NOOOOOO! :huh2: Happily everything aligned as it should and it turns out I worried for no reason. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I hope to put the fuel tank back on, fill the engine with oil, try to start the bike and then see if anything flys off or breaks. If so you can bet I'll be back here whining and asking for more advice. :stupid:

More as things develop.

Gil

Guest ratchethack

Gil, I congratulate you on doing the "foolproof" thing and replacing the cover. As you'll recall, I'd have chosen JB Weld at least as an intermediate solution, being a "Max Uptime" kind-of-a-guy. I've never been longer than a few days without the Guz, and that was last week, waiting for a battery to ship overnight - followed by a bad ECU fuse that looked good (solved by this here Forum! :notworthy: ). I can't imagine a month without riding, and I wouldn't at all mind doin' the job twice if necessary as a trade for 4 weeks of riding, but that's just me. I'm sure you're relieved - you'll not be worrying about that leak coming back! :thumbsup:

And NOW you've got that stunning addition to your silver service set - just the thing for hors d'oeuvres on that "special" occasion! I'm sure Martha would approve! :o

Gil, I congratulate you on doing the "foolproof" thing and replacing the cover.  As you'll recall, I'd have chosen JB Weld at least as an intermediate solution, being a "Max Uptime" kind-of-a-guy.  I've never been longer than a few days without the Guz, and that was last week, waiting for a battery to ship overnight - followed by a bad ECU fuse that looked good (solved by this here Forum! :notworthy: ).  I can't imagine a month without riding, and I wouldn't at all mind doin' the job twice if necessary as a trade for 4 weeks of riding, but that's just me.  I'm sure you're relieved - you'll not be worrying about that leak coming back! :thumbsup:

And NOW you've got that stunning addition to your silver service set - just the thing for hors d'oeuvres on that "special" occasion!  I'm sure Martha would approve!  :o

73886[/snapback]

LOL Rh! My saving grace was that I still have my Triumph Sprint Sport (admittedly dying but still in service for the occasional day trip) and my wife's SV650 (taken down to the International Motorcycle Show in San Jose on a 3 Day Trip recently) to back me up...otherwise I'd of been freakin'! I could afford to wait.

...and no, I'm still not over worrying about leaks :( Tommorow's "fire-up" should tell the tale. fingerscrossed.gif

Glad your downtime was minimal (by my standards at least) and feel somehow better for knowing you are out there, somewhere, on the road on your Guzzi. It's all very Zen. buddha.jpg

Great to hear your back togeather and firing up is iminent.

Yayyyyyyy!! Good man. :luigi:

Good job on the web page/ 3 day trip story. I've had a few

of those missery trips in the rain. Brought back a few memories.

Although I've sworn more than once I would grab a room and

hold up for a few days I never do. There's something about just

schloging through it that won't be denied...and as bad as it is it's

still better than not riding. Looking forward to the next post.

I purchased one of those ridiculously inexpensive (59 Euros) from HMB Guzzi in Germany that Paul turned me onto.  They came through like champs.  I replaced my crinkle painted '02 cover for a shiny black '03 but it looks fine and as soon as I cover it with mud and dust no one will ever notice it doesn't exactly match.  ;)

73883[/snapback]

Sweet! :bier::luigi::bier:

Now we've sorted the mystry rubber bit - 

[Dr Frankenstien voice] It's ALIVE [/Dr Frankenstien voice] ?

Does she go? nudge nudge wink wink

73966[/snapback]

Not quite yet I'm afraid. I've decided to do a few "under-the-tank" things before I put the fuel tank back on and fill the engine with oil. I'm not sure when I'll have the tank off again and it seemed the right thing to do to tidy things up a bit while I'm there. :huh2:

We're getting damned close though ;)

Not quite yet I'm afraid.  I've decided to do a few "under-the-tank" things before I put the fuel tank back on and fill the engine with oil.  I'm not sure when I'll have the tank off again and it seemed the right thing to do to tidy things up a bit while I'm there.  :huh2:

We're getting damned close though  ;)

73971[/snapback]

You have till Sunday - The BBC says you'll have a break in the weather then.