Battery charging plug

grossohc

Hello

I have just got a optimate battery charger and want to connect the terminals to the battery so it is just a plug in to charge it up when i feel like. My question is is there a sequence i should disconnect /connect the terminals from the battery to put the new wires on i.e. live first or earth first or does it not matter. Just dont want to fry anything (hands especially).

Gary :notworthy::luigi:

I my flu'ed up state I think it's the negative terminal to disconect first, and reconect last. So if you hapen to brush against the frame etc when doing the positive it won't make the circuit. All the positive stuff should be protected by the ignition switch anyway so won't be live beyond that point.

An optimate is on my christmas wish list

An optimate is on my christmas wish list

68774[/snapback]

:xmas: OK, done. You're easier to please than Ben anyway. Now what does everyone else want?

Aside from the safety issue of inadvertently grounding the + terminal to ground through a tool........ it makes NO difference which terminal you connect/disconnect first. If you hook up a plug for this it is absolutley safe to use a plug with both (2) connectors in it........ just place the plug away from the battery so that if you inadvertently disconnect the plug with the charger "on", the spark will not ignite the hydrogen released from the battery in the charging process.

grossohc

I would use two 50a anderson batt plugs so that you don't have to keep having to disconnect batt connectors, Make up 1 lead long enough to fit under the hump and connect permantly to the batt, thus the plug as a way from the batt.

fit second plug to your charger output leads.

www.newbatterycharger.com/chargerplugs/

e-mail me and I will see if i can sort two out for you, normally have some on the van

grossohc

I would use two 50a anderson batt plugs so that you don't have to keep having to disconnect batt connectors, Make up 1 lead long enough to fit under the hump and connect permantly to the batt, thus the plug as a way from the batt.

fit second plug to your charger output leads.

www.newbatterycharger.com/chargerplugs/

e-mail me and I will see if i can sort two out for you, normally have some on the van

68867[/snapback]

He's talking about a one time disconect to install the leads to the Optimate conector plug thingy. From thereon its just a case of plugging the Optimate in to the connector plug thingy to leave it on a monitored trickle charge.

I don't know how the Anderson battery plugs would differ. Tried a google and came up with an artillery battery :homer:

Battery.gif

Checked your link - they appear to be more substancial