in tasmania

g.forrest

:helmet: australian historic road racing championships held symmons plains tasmania.a top three day event with some seriously fast machinery,and very competitive riders. two machines in particular stood out, a suzuki f50 step through with a a100 race kitted engine finnished second in most of the heats and i believe second overall.and a 1924 eight valve indian was super quick and stated to be fastest indian in the world. the 500 class was dominated by two young kiwis one riding the quickest es2 norton i've ever seen,the other on a g50 matchless which looked and went awsome. the unlimited class was dominated by local ex superbike legend malcolm campbell riding a 1972 ducati 750 imola and a couple of very quick 1972 cb 750 hondas [t rex ] these things fly. it was a very well organised event with good weather and good attendance. i really enjoyed it and the rides i've done while down here on my muz. :rasta: ciao gazza.

:mg: just a few of the guzzis in spectator parking.

:helmet: australian historic road racing championships held symmons plains tasmania.a top three day event with some seriously fast machinery,and very competitive riders. two machines in particular stood out, a suzuki f50 step through with a a100 race kitted engine finnished second in most of the heats and i believe second overall.and a 1924 eight valve indian was super quick and stated to be fastest indian in the world. the 500 class was dominated by two young kiwis one riding the quickest es2 norton i've ever seen,the other on a g50 matchless which looked and went awsome. the unlimited class was dominated by local ex superbike legend malcolm campbell riding a 1972 ducati 750 imola and a couple of very quick 1972 cb 750 hondas [t rex ] these things fly. it was a very well organised event with good weather and good attendance. i really enjoyed it and the rides i've done while down here on my muz. :rasta: ciao gazza.

68820[/snapback]

:mg: just a few of the guzzis in spectator parking.

68821[/snapback]

Darn! The Greenie in the middle is MY bike! How the hell did it end up on the wrong side of the planet!?? I saw it in teh garage this morning...? :bike:

Love the stance of that Indian. Mean...

68820[/snapback]

Hmmmmm. That Indian wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Vintage Club race in this country. I think the only 1924 part on it is (possibly) the tank. Not that I would throw it out of _my_ garage.....

Didn't the owner of the Indian trademark make a world speed record attempt recently?

mike

C'mon Mike, enlighten us.

I reckon early Indians had leaf sprung forks, but what else is wrong?

He's doubled up the front brakes I think.

Anyway,from what I could see at the last classic meeting I went to, most of the bikes were replicas or had a large amount of remanufactured bits, surely due to the ravages of time and racing, there cant be much original stuff left.

Personally, I dont think it matters,as long as the machine is in period trim.

:rasta: yes mike ,255 kph speed set at lake gairdner salt flats in 2002. and was in the uk this year for the goodwood festival of speed. it was reaching quoted speeds of 210-220 on back straight of symmons on the weekend.it won the 1920-45 championship. ciao gazza.

Hmmmmm.  That Indian wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Vintage Club race in this country.  I think the only 1924 part on it is (possibly) the tank.  Not that I would throw it out of _my_ garage.....

Didn't the owner of the Indian trademark make a world speed record attempt recently?

mike

68850[/snapback]

C'mon Mike, enlighten us.

I reckon early Indians had leaf sprung forks, but what else is wrong?

He's doubled up the front brakes I think.

Anyway,from what I could see at the last classic meeting I went to, most of the bikes were replicas or had a large amount of remanufactured bits, surely due to the ravages of time and racing, there cant be much original stuff left.

Personally, I dont think it matters,as long as the machine is in period trim.

68890[/snapback]

You asked for it 8-))))

Starting fron the front:

Tyre, wheel rim, brakes, forks (and therefore probably hub) are all either modern (let's say 1970's or newer for this) or 1930's.

Engine has (apparently) alloy heads, so probably modern remake - Indian had four-valve head machines from before WWI but aluminium technology was probably not good enough for heads back then. The crankcase seems too beefy for the era, as do the cylinders. Carb is modern. (engine serial numbers here http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/resources/serials.htm )

Modern saddle, rear rim and tyre.

Overall, it gives the impression of a mid 1930's machine. I can't find anything that looks even remotely like it here: http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/

Much of the above is forced on the owner, if they want to use the machine, by the regulations that are there for the good of everyone who is attending a race meeting. Does anyone want to race on beaded edge tyres and use external contracting brakes? Not if they have any brain cells. BUT.... there is the possibility that this machine was some factory special development hack. Stranger things have happened than 1924, alloy headed, four valve v-twins appearing out of the woodwork. In that case, my personal preference would have been to make it look as close as I could to what they did at the factory and demonstrate it. But it's not my bike. Whatever, allowing for the possible exception above, for me it is a bit disingenuous to call this a 1924 machine. That's going by your own definition, which I agree with.

As I said, in UK _vintage_ racing, appearances are kept closer to authentic. Classic racing is a different bag of bones. What it comes down to is that there is a whole world of motorcycling history out there. It behoves us to be as accurate as we can and not (unintentionally or other wise) mislead others. In 2035, when some geezer pulls in on a genuine 1997 V11, with "active stick" tyres and the original, low mileage nuclear motor and infinite ratio box see what you think....

horse>

:2c: just think of it as extreme classic racing..the es2 had belt drive primary drive,it worked ..it was great racing that attracted good crowds,it was exciteing, and i loved it without a worry of detail.. :D

You asked for it 8-))))

Starting fron the front:

Tyre, wheel rim, brakes, forks (and therefore probably hub)  are all either modern (let's say 1970's or newer for this) or 1930's.

Engine has (apparently) alloy heads, so probably modern remake - Indian had four-valve head machines from before WWI but aluminium technology was probably not good enough for heads back then.  The crankcase seems too beefy for the era, as do the cylinders.  Carb is modern.  (engine serial numbers here http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/resources/serials.htm )

Overall, it gives the impression of a mid 1930's machine.  I can't find anything that looks even remotely like it here:  http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/ 

Much of the above is forced on the owner, if they want to use the machine, by the regulations that are there for the good of everyone who is attending a race meeting.  Does anyone want to race on beaded edge tyres and use external contracting brakes?  Not if they have any brain cells.  BUT....  there is the possibility that this machine was some factory special development hack.  Stranger things have happened than 1924, alloy headed, four valve v-twins appearing out of the woodwork.  In that case, my personal preference would have been to make it look as close as I could to what they did at the factory and demonstrate it.  But it's not my bike.  Whatever, allowing for the possible exception above,  for me it is a bit disingenuous to call this a 1924 machine.  That's going by your own definition, which I agree with.

As I said, in UK _vintage_ racing, appearances are kept closer to authentic.  Classic racing is a different bag of bones.  What it comes down to is that there is a whole world of motorcycling history out there.  It behoves us to be as accurate as we can and not (unintentionally or other wise) mislead others.  In 2035, when some geezer pulls in on a genuine 1997 V11, with "active stick" tyres and the original, low mileage nuclear motor and infinite ratio box see what you think....

horse>

68945[/snapback]

:2c::2c: and just keep in mind mike our position in this world,our isolation in the past.. thats why us colonials [nz] included,are the most inventive people in the world in modern times. ie john britten. :D

You asked for it 8-))))

Starting fron the front:

Tyre, wheel rim, brakes, forks (and therefore probably hub)  are all either modern (let's say 1970's or newer for this) or 1930's.

Engine has (apparently) alloy heads, so probably modern remake - Indian had four-valve head machines from before WWI but aluminium technology was probably not good enough for heads back then.  The crankcase seems too beefy for the era, as do the cylinders.  Carb is modern.  (engine serial numbers here http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/resources/serials.htm )

Overall, it gives the impression of a mid 1930's machine.  I can't find anything that looks even remotely like it here:  http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/ 

Much of the above is forced on the owner, if they want to use the machine, by the regulations that are there for the good of everyone who is attending a race meeting.  Does anyone want to race on beaded edge tyres and use external contracting brakes?  Not if they have any brain cells.  BUT....  there is the possibility that this machine was some factory special development hack.  Stranger things have happened than 1924, alloy headed, four valve v-twins appearing out of the woodwork.  In that case, my personal preference would have been to make it look as close as I could to what they did at the factory and demonstrate it.  But it's not my bike.  Whatever, allowing for the possible exception above,  for me it is a bit disingenuous to call this a 1924 machine.  That's going by your own definition, which I agree with.

As I said, in UK _vintage_ racing, appearances are kept closer to authentic.  Classic racing is a different bag of bones.  What it comes down to is that there is a whole world of motorcycling history out there.  It behoves us to be as accurate as we can and not (unintentionally or other wise) mislead others.  In 2035, when some geezer pulls in on a genuine 1997 V11, with "active stick" tyres and the original, low mileage nuclear motor and infinite ratio box see what you think....

horse>

68945[/snapback]