Electrical Gremlins

orangeokie

After replacing my stock battery with a Hawker Odyssey PC545, the bike started right up. Now I have a new problem.

No tach and no headlight, only a parking light. All fuses are intact. Any suggestions as to where to start? <_>

After replacing my stock battery with a Hawker Odyssey PC545, the bike started right up.  Now I have a new problem.

No tach and no headlight, only a parking light.  All fuses are intact.  Any suggestions as to where to start? <_>

68984[/snapback]

You have all the cables reattached? Check it twice, with an el.torch.

Hubert

With out wishing to claim the tile of "Master of the Bloody Obvious" If these were both working prior to your attempts to sort out the starting problem. It would appear that you've disturbed something in doing that.

I initially thought fuse. But you say thats okay. I would re lift the tank right off and check both connector blocks and any other wires that you may have disturbed. Also as you will have the fairing off check that the bulb itself hasn't blown. and recheck everything, and then I'm at aloss. Good luck.

Guest pushrodpower
After replacing my stock battery with a Hawker Odyssey PC545, the bike started right up.  Now I have a new problem.

No tach and no headlight, only a parking light.  All fuses are intact.  Any suggestions as to where to start? <_<

68984[/snapback]

Yes, Change ALL of your relays! Regards, Airedale. :bike:

Yes, Change ALL of your relays! Regards, Airedale. :bike:

68999[/snapback]

Orangeokie is out of town until Friday. I'll try to get over there again when he gets back and help him get this resolved. If it's not one problem, it's another. Or more. Just a Guzzi thing.

With the big stack of terminals on the battery , it's easy to let one slip when reattaching. May have lost a ground and obscured the loose terminal under the new battery.

Worth checking the simple stuff first! :thumbsup:

With the big stack of terminals on the battery , it's easy to let one slip when reattaching. May have lost a ground and obscured the loose terminal under the new battery.

Worth checking the simple stuff first! :thumbsup:

69095[/snapback]

Simpler than that really. Four of the relays are single-pole-single-throw. One relay - the starter relay - is single-pole-double-throw. In the NC (normally closed) position, the starter relay routes power to the headlight. When the engine is being started, no power is routed to the headlight. If you've been moving relays around - and we did - mixing them up and putting a single-throw relay in the starter position will effectively disconnect the headlight. Dollars to doughnuts that's what happened yesterday. I didn't know Phil managed to find the correct battery locally after I left his house or I could've gone back and we probably would have gotten it right. He's got a beautiful bike. Now we just have to get it back on the road.

This is why its a good idea to replace ALL of the relays with the double throw variety.

Guest ratchethack

In the START relay socket, many (including myself) have found the GEI SPDT relay to be a superior, bullet-proof choice. It has a higher amperage rating (25 A) than all of the usual alternatives. Dan the Guzzi Relay Man has tested 'em extensively.

See his site here for details and order direct from Dan. A very reasonable price.

http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

In the START relay socket, many (including myself) have found the GEI SPDT relay to be a superior, bullet-proof choice.  It has a higher amperage rating (25 A) than all of the usual alternatives.  Dan the Guzzi Relay Man has tested 'em extensively.

See his site here for details and order direct from Dan.  A very reasonable price.

http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

69102[/snapback]

Well, I ordered six new relays from Dan. They arived today. Plugged them in and everything works like new. Thanks for the advice.