How do I remove the tank pad??

bigbikerrick

I have answered this before, but I can't seem to find the thread... :huh2:

Remove the fuel cap and pry a bit under the padding. It is clicked, so with a little force it should come off.

69978[/snapback]

Thanks for the prompt reply Jaap, and thanks for making this great forum possible.

If I remember correctly, I don't think you have to remove the fuel cap. There are plastic tits on the pad that are held to the tank by rubber gromets. It will just pop off with a careful pry.

Mike

mike remembers correctly, you do not need to remove the fuel cap. Just get your finger tips under the front lip and give a yank straight up. and while you have it off, recover the ugly gas stained pos foam with something prettier. :)

cheers

jason

Yeah a good "yank" is all it takes... as previously mentioned, the pad is only held on with a couple pins that snap into rubber grommets.

However, I tend to agree with Jaap... in that, just to be safe, sometimes the "ring" of padding around the cap can be pinched and might either tear the pad or stick to the paint.

The cap is only held on with three bolts from what I recall(the others don't go all the way through), so it comes off in 5 min. I think that is quick and easy "insurance", plus with the cap off, it is SUPER easy to now grab the pad where the cap used to be, and pull it up and off.

...or the expensive and really easy solution, is... get a 2003+ tank :P

al

...or the expensive and really easy solution, is... get a 2003+ tank  :P

al

70006[/snapback]

Unless you have a 99-oo' model then youre screwed :angry: . Only reason to take off the Rubber peice is to replace it with CF IMO or maybe have one made out of polished alum and snap it in.... I might try that if my CF peice breaks or gets all crusty. Also the 2002 bikes are fastened in with bolts but since the tanks are different sizes might explain why I could only Secure 2 of the 4 bolts....the other 2 are cut and glued in for 'looks' <_>

So what does the tank look like with the pad removed? :huh2:

Can it be left off or are the pins ugly things that are part of the tank?

If you have access to a digital camera could you snap a picture of it off for me Rick, I'm curious?

So what does the tank look like with the pad removed?  :huh2: 

If you have access to a digital camera could you snap a picture of it off for me Rick, I'm curious?

70040[/snapback]

Ohhh its not pretty under there. its shaped like you would think it would be under the pad but then there is another U shaped depression under that for the brackets to rest on and then the 4 holes to which they mount. I'm sure there is some way to clean it up but it would be so much more work than fabricating something to replace the foam rubber nubber. It also manages to collect a fair amount of dirt and grime :huh2:

both Jedione and I had a local guy cover the foam with a nicer fabric…looks great. Jedi used his racer red to match his seat. I used some left over Rich Maund carbon fiber "look-a-like" vinyl and had the guy recover the tank pad and butt pad on the passenger seat cover to match my Maund seat. Looks much better than the sun-faded and gas stained foam.

mike remembers correctly, you do not need to remove the fuel cap.  Just get your finger tips under the front lip and give a yank straight up.  and while you have it off, recover the ugly gas stained pos foam with something prettier.  :)

cheers

jason

69996[/snapback]

What do you think will look good to recover the foam with? It does look kind of cheesy, as a low quality foam that doesnt hold up too well to UV.

Unless you have a 99-oo' model then youre screwed  :angry: . Only reason to take off the Rubber peice is to replace it with CF IMO or maybe have one made out of polished alum and snap it in.... I might try that if my CF peice breaks or gets all crusty. Also the 2002 bikes are fastened in with bolts but since the tanks are different sizes might explain why I could only Secure 2 of the 4 bolts....the other 2 are cut and glued in for 'looks'  <_>

70029[/snapback]

Ben, Are you referring to the bolts on the gas cap? Mine is a 2003 sold as a 2003( no front crossover pipe)

So what does the tank look like with the pad removed?  :huh2: 

70040[/snapback]

My digital camera is in the shop for repairs at the moment, maybe some one else here will post a pic..