04 Ballabio Runs like crap

Guest denzo

My stock '04 Ballabio (with 3500 miles) was running great and then one morning about 3-4 weeks ago it started up o.k and idled just fine but once I attempt to take off and the rpm's try to go above 1800-2000 or so it just cuts out and "burps" and run like sh*t and there is the strong smell of (unburned) fuel. If I keep the throttle open and let the rpm's creep up to around 4500-5000 it will "kick in" and rev smooth right up to redline.

I took it to my dealer and they can't figure it out. They put a call into M.G. headquarters here in the U.S. but they are in the middle of relocating and have not returned the call. That was 3+ weeks ago and still no fix in sight. I talked to the dealer today and they said they tested out a oxygen sensor and efi ecu module off of a brand new floor model but it didn't help at all.

Anybody ever had this problem before that can let me know what the problem might be? Thanks, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

There are a load of things to look at. Posters here will likely guide you through some good adice. Be methodical and stay at it. The more you fettle, the better she'll get!

Check the intake boots between the throttle bodies and heads. They can pop loose or even develop cracks.

I had the exact same thing happening on my bike a month ago. Exciting when the engine suddenly kicked in again at 4000 rpm...

I feared the wost, and began tearing the bike apart, then came to my senses and started checking from the sparkplugs backwards.

The first thing i did was to cut half an inch off the plugcable, and then reinsert it in the plugcap. And that was it.... So simple it hurt.

I had the exact same thing happening on my bike a month ago. Exciting when the engine suddenly kicked in again at 4000 rpm...

I feared the wost, and began tearing the bike apart, then came to my senses and started checking from the sparkplugs backwards.

The first thing i did was to cut half an inch off the plugcable, and then reinsert it in the plugcap. And that was it.... So simple it hurt.

70739[/snapback]

I love it

Thats how alot of these glitches are cured...a relay..a plug wire..a kickstand switch.

This forum is the best thing Moto Guzzi has going for it. Without it there'd be

some seriously pissed off Guzzi owners. I'm surprized MG dosen't tell it's dealers

to read this site religiously.

Guzzi should have JAPP on the payroll for atleast $100K/yr...

Whats that ..the cost of a couple months advertising?

I thought Jaap was in advertising, so it'd be money well spent.

:2c: I bet it's plugs/cables or the TPS. Put an ohmmeter across the TPS and slowly open the throttle- the change in resistance should be smooth and continuous.

Guest Robert Klincke

Same thing happened to my Centauro while I was On a lengthy trip. When I got home I removed the tank, seat and related panels then uplugged, cleaned and checked every connector I could. This fixed the problem. The best explanation I and my dealer can suggest is a dirty contact caused the ECU to switch to limp mode! Try it it's cheap(and easrier on a V11 than a Centauro)

regards Bob K

I have many times experienced this kind of problem where the plugs missfire under heavy load, but otherwise run fine. For some reason, European engineers in general seem to believe they can use much thinner insulation on the high voltage cables than American engineers. The thinnest I've seen are on BMW's. They are about as thin as you can go and still have them work out of the showroom. A very good diagnostic of this problem is to lug the engine and open the throttle. This is worst case for plugs to fire under. If possible, I replace whatever the OEM used with 7mm diameter, or even 8 if it will fit, and make sure the connections at both ends are good. Anywhere the wires come close to something metal, I'll run them through the wire loom sleeves available at auto stores. This solution works basically for the life of the vehicle.