Diesel Guzzi Project

Guest Nogbad

Given the high price of oil, and the shortages I have experienced this Christmas, I have been musing on the possibility of "dieselisation" of a Guzzi engine.

This could then be run on biodiesel created in the shed from vegetable oil, freeing biking from the oil companies thrall.

I guess I would be content with 30 - 45 bhp.

When I was a callow apprentice at Leyland in 1980 we had a dieselised "B" series petrol engine and it did work.

I know a lot of people on here are doing engine mods, and this is kind of similar in concept, but with a different ethos, i.e. sustainability and economy, rather than wasteful performance.

Guest ratchethack

Say Nog, I think it's a capital idea! You can get Tx Redneck to help you install a Jake brake.

This'd no doubt do wonders for the life of your Brembo's.

It'd also help wake up the brain-dead dozing behind the wheel in traffic... :o

Given the high price of oil, and the shortages I have experienced this Christmas, I have been musing on the possibility of "dieselisation" of a Guzzi engine.

I know a lot of people on here are doing engine mods, and this is kind of similar in concept, but with a different ethos, i.e. sustainability and economy, rather than wasteful performance.

72490[/snapback]

Splendid idea, but:

GM tried "dieselization" of their gasoline car engines back in the 70s after the 1st or 2nd oil crisis. They learned to start from a clean slate after numerous customers complained about the hood ["bonnet?"] blowing off their cars as the cylinder head exited the engine compartment in a rapid vertical direction... :grin:

There's a company here in SoCal that's been building a diesel conversion of the Kwak'ker KLR650. They finally woke up to the fact that NA diesels don't have enough performance to use in a motorcycle, so they're working on a turbo'd version of their product right now. Unfortunately, they're targeting military sales, so the price so far is completely outrageous, w/ expectations of even more outrageous for the turbo version. :bbblll:

If you had a spare frame & running gear laying around, buying a small diesel to put into it might be a not-entirely lunatic project. Taking perfectly good Guzzi and bodging it into something that will only be ugly & prone to rapid self-disassembly would be a crime... :luigi::homer:

72490[/snapback]

why don't you go for LPG, or even better, methane?

why don't you go for LPG, or even better, methane?

72509[/snapback]

:lol: methane? wow BOOM baby monster trucks run off some kind of methane fuel that would be something. I wouldn't mind a Diesel engine in a bike tons of torque no topend would be much better to do this with a Ural tho I can see one of those with a diesel :huh2:

It was stated (at least the harley one) that is more expensive to run but is obviously more economical in other ways. And if they can progress and get some Teams of engineers working on it I bet they could be even cheaper and more powerful. Anyone know the $$$ on these bad boys? I like'em enough I'd ride one for some reason or another.

index.gif

or the Y2K bike it runs on regular diesel now! I'd ride that IF I had too ya know. :grin:

y2k2.jpg

Thanks for all the information.... It looks as if it would be more practical to graft a diesel engine into a guzzi rather than try to convert a V twin, since the Guzzi mill isn't a "through bolt" design, there could be problems with the cylinders blowing off the crankcase etc. Also, the V twin configuration would be a problem with injector timing without a special injector pump or using CRI and computer.

I have thought of buying a reconditioned Enfield-Greaves from F2, but 7 bhp is just too little to make the bike practical. Some of the others look ok though, if only I could read German!

Looks like a lot more research is needed before I waste any money though.

I've seen the results of a gasoline engine converted to diesel, with GM, in their cars and light trucks, and these engines were a short lived joke, all of them.

Note that the pictures that TX linked show a series of diesel bikes, the vast majority of the engines being ones designed from scratch to be diesel power.

Convert your V-twin Guzzi engine to diesel at your own peril.

Ciao, Steve G.

Convert your V-twin Guzzi engine to diesel at your own peril.

Ciao, Steve G.

72592[/snapback]

Before you kill me, I wasn't thinking of converting my beloved V11, I was thinking of getting some ratted old Tonti.

Before you kill me, I wasn't thinking of converting my beloved V11, I was thinking of getting some ratted old Tonti.

72594[/snapback]

I was working on a very high end motorhome trailer [caravan for you in UK] that had a generator to run a/c, power, heat, etc. Actually it was a mobile dressing room/rest area for the large movie industry here. Anyways, the generator was a Honda V-twin diesel, 35 hp, small quiet. Just a thought.

Diesel engines are usually made of parts of higher capability, with thick nodular iron sleeves for cylinders with a aluminum engines at the very least. We're talking compression ratios of 20-1 minimum with non turbo engines.

A ratty old Tonti. Golly, there's no such thing as a ratty old Tonti here. Guzzi was a no show in Canada from 1980-2000.

Ciao, Steve G.