oil filter

Guest davindav

Steve...the trouble is "over tightened"

I "BROKE" 3....count 'em 3 ..oil filter wrences...by the time I got the filter

off it was like a crushed up beer can...

Whoever put it on either over tightened it or didn't oil the rubber gasket..or both.

It was Sttuuuuck... Not the first I've herd of it either.

That was several changes ago and haven't nor expect to see it again.

72544[/snapback]

Gosh, sorry I didn't realize this.

Fortunately/unfortunately, with my bike, I left the very first oil change to the dealer to square up any loose ends regarding any possible warranty problems. Any mechanical problems with an engine will happen within the first few hundred miles, or, an engine with huge mileage. It goes against my grain to jobber out something as simple as an oil change, and when I got my bike back, I took the cover off to check that the filter was tight enough.

Pete Roper has a very valid point that a filter put on too loose, allowing the filter to loosen off from vibration, will cause big end failure very quickly, and without the rider knowing until it's too late.

Ciao, Steve G.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the general rule of thumb when installing an oil filter is to start the threads by hand, then tighten the filter by hand not with a wrench :luigi: . The filter should only be hand tight & even then dont get to carried away. :2c: I've always removed the oilpan to change the oil & I dont know how easy or hard it is to tighten the filter by hand through that oil filter hatch in the pan. So the above instructions are for changing the filter with the pan off. I'm particular about my bike so I like to get the pan off & wipe it clean with a cloth & inspect everything just for the hell of it.

My first oil change with a new V11 and I can't get the oil filter loose.  I 've tried two different wrenches fitted on the end of the filter--they don't seem to grip the filter tightly enough.  Ive pushed the wrench all the way, but it just turns without budging the filter. Any ideas?

Here you go , About the oil filter I'd only suggest the correct tool. with the correct fit.Here is a pic of the tool that Guzzi has and is in one side Oil filter key and the other works as allen key to unscrew the oil filter cover under the sump.

Well this one is expencive and if you want a different solution there is also a filter key (only the for the oil filter) that fits perfect, you can get it in AGOSTINI for about 18-20Euro

I tried it and it's top , other wrenches ,one fit all types don't give the appropriate grip and will be difficult to change plus you'll perhaps have to get the whole oil sump off.

:bier:

I bought one of these from my dealer but it came with no 'hex drive' on its backside.

The axle nuts, front or rear, are the perfect size ( 21 mm?) to remove the sump cover.

Last oil change I found the filter a bit loose. Gave her a better squeeze this time and I hope she comes loose OK next go round.

I've got three bloody filter wrenches for the pig.  All of them slip once the filter gets oil on it.  Changes have become much less stressful once I switched to the screwdriver method. Don't use the screwdriver to install the new filter...

Rj

73099[/snapback]

Made me laugh

Guest Nogbad

I use a small chain wrench to get the filter off. Usually crushes it though.

When installing the new one, put it on and screw lightly up until the seal just touches (I always fill the filter with fresh oil before installing it). Then clean the outside of the filter of all traces of oil using alcohol and wash your hands thoroughly, and you will be able to get a good grip of it to get it as tight as you can by hand.

I always install my oilfilter by hand and remove it in the same way..

Guy  :helmet:

73200[/snapback]

Now how come a Yorkshireman has such a tight grip?

Clue for the non Brits - Oil filter is wallet sized and a Yorkshireman is like a Scot but with the scense of humour removed peepwall1.gif

You can disprove this by :bier: if we get together at a meet

[thanks guy.. the only method..its o ring seal..no need for tools. do up by hand..undo by hand..if ya cant get it undone by hand..use the multis,,and through the bugger away..do up new by hand to seal a o ring..[put smear of oil on new ring first.. :helmet: ''and ya can't go wrong..quote=Guzzirider,Jan 5 2006, 09:01 PM]

I always install my oilfilter by hand and remove it in the same way..

Guy :helmet:

73200[/snapback]

I be a Hampshire Hog Martin- I have lived here 5 years and enjoy it but I am no tight arsed tyke!

As for the fliters- no need for superhuman strength- just a sensible grip and wrist action.

73205[/snapback]

My family hail from the Hants/Wilts borders, and I was born down there also , but we moved away when I was young and only made a brief return aged 10-11.

One of the landmarks for this years RBR was in my paternal home village - didn't need to do any research for that one

18HampshireNomansland.jpg

Despite being bored and under employed today I resisted the temptation to do this

I have a sensible grip and wrist action and enjoy it ,no need for superhuman strength 

73205[/snapback]

Obviously you aren't finding then tightening up on heat cycles. I've only limited oil filter changing experiance (on by hand smidge of oil ob ring - allways off by strap wrench). But I would deduce that either you've a far greater

grip strength than I or perhaps they not tight enough and could risk loosening with :( results. But with your experiance with both yours and Helens it must be the grip. :thumbsup:

mmmm sorry martin...sp

My family hail from the Hants/Wilts borders, and I was born down there also , but we moved away when I was young and only made a brief return aged 10-11.

One of the landmarks for this years RBR was in my paternal home village - didn't need to do any research for that one

18HampshireNomansland.jpg

Despite being bored and under employed today I resisted the temptation to do this

Obviously you aren't finding then tightening up on heat cycles. I've only limited oil filter changing experiance (on by hand smidge of oil ob ring - allways off by strap wrench). But I would deduce that either you've a far greater

grip strength than I or perhaps they not tight enough and could risk loosening with  :(  results. But with your experiance with both yours and Helens it must be the grip.  :thumbsup:

73212[/snapback]

I have lived here 5 years and enjoy it but I am no tight arsed tyke!

73205[/snapback]

Excuse me!

We Tykes may be careful with our liquid assets but we haven't taken to keeping our wallets up our arses, yet!

Excuse me!

We Tykes may be careful with our liquid assets but we haven't taken to keeping our wallets up our arses, yet!

73231[/snapback]

Hey its not me that cracks the jokes- they have a good laugh at themsleves!

Guy :helmet: