Fuel Tank Sizes

Guest SFGUZZI

Guest SFGUZZI

Need some help regarding fuel tank sizing,I own a 2001 v11, when turning the forks lock to lock the tank hits the fork legs, on my 2003 v11 which i recently purchased the tank clears the fork legs just fine. Was a change made to the tanks ..??i do recall reading on this forum about a tank issue a while back...any ideas ...??? :huh2:

thanks

Guest ratchethack

SFG, something's out of whack! I've seen this happen after a crash, when the fork stops are broken off. :huh2: There were several changes to the tanks over the years, but if the original tank is on the bike, there shouldn't be a problem. Are you sure that the tank is located correctly in it's forward "socket" in the frame? It'd have to be raised WAY up to allow the rear mounting bolt to be fastened, but ?? It's all I got...?? :huh2:

Please forgive what may seem a silly suggestion, but it's not too far up on its front mounts, is it, or just somehow mal-fitted? If it's sitting high on the front rubbers, the back will still line up.

Like Ratchethack said [he beat me to it while I was posting!]

Guest SFGUZZI
Please forgive what may seem a silly suggestion, but it's not too far up on its front mounts, is it, or just somehow mal-fitted? If it's sitting high on the front rubbers, the back will still line up.

Like Ratchethack said [he beat me to it while I was posting!]

73000[/snapback]

I checked the mounting and it seems OK, but ill recheck

Thanks

Here's the synopsis "scoop" on fuel tank physical changes, and for more info see the following thread:

2003 Tank Retrofit Thread

1) MG changed the frame length in 2002 for the V11 Sport/LeMans, making the "spine" noticeably longer in an attempt to quell complaints about "squirrelly" handling at speed with the 00-01 V11 Sport models. This essentially slowed the steering of the 2002+ bikes, which to some was an improvement, but to others a disadvantage as compared to the "faster" steering 00-01 bikes. I am not certain if the longer frame(as well additional frame bracing) was included in the 2001 Rosso Mandello, but I believe it was, as this model incorporated many characteristics that would show up later 2002 bikes.

2) When MG changed to the longer frame, there was now also a noticeably larger "gap" between the nose of the tank, and the triple tree. This is because although MG lengthened the frame in 2002, they did not change the tank design.

3) In 2003, MG switched to a new tank design that is physically larger, especially in regard to length, than the prior model tanks. This new design was to accomodate the new in-tank fuel-system(pump, filter, etc), and also allowed the unsightly "gap" on the 2002 models to be tightened up again as of 2003+ where the nose of the tank now again covered the oil vapor recovery hose/fitting, and made for a more finished look.

Basically, we have two tanks: 00-02 with support for the legacy external fuel-system, and 2003+(not 2003 V11 Sport Naked model though, this bike was all 2002 spec) which has the new tank and in-tank fuel system.

So, how does this apply to your primary concern/question?? ...well, not much I'm afraid, but I thought I'd offer the clarification on the tank design for our models.

But there can be several causes for the condition you describe. Some could be as bad as bent triples/frame/fork, or as simple as the tank being incorrectly mounted.

I would first see that the tank is correctly mounted and that the rubber mounts are not gone or deteriorated. This has been known to happen, and if they are damaged/gone, the tank would sit too low and too far foward.

Another potential cause, although unlikely, is that your tank is a victim of the dreaded "Tank Suck" and has been deformed from plugged-up tank venting. This can cause the tank to "cave in" or even potentially "expand" and deform causing it to hit, rub, and wear in unusual ways. Check out the Vapor Lock and Tank Suck FAQ for more info.

And of course, as mentioned, see if your fork locks are broken, or the frame is somehow bent. I would hope this last potential issue is not the case, as that could prove to expose some very serious issues as these bikes do not respond well to being hit up front(ask Carl Allison).

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

al

I recall that years ago some people posted this exact problem with brand new bikes.

I am not sure what they did about it.

But do check the steering lock (the tab welded on to the steering head)

As the others suggested, it could be damaged.

Otherwise try rotating the front rubber mounts, as they may be asymetrical.

A side note:

Has anyone noticed their tank getting longer?

Mine is getting more and more difficult to line up the bolt to hold it on.

Maybe that makes three tank sizes :lol:

FWIW I have checked the front rubber mounts and they seem to function properly. ie, the tank slides over them fine. Although I can't see them finding their way home, I am reasonably confident that the tank is seating properly on the front mounts.

The 2003 frame is longer, and that is at the steeringhead where they added the steel, so that gives extra tankclearance.

Plus the 2003 has the in tank pump, and different to, so might be changed a bit, but it looks the same shape/size.

Aren't also tanks with different capacities , i.e. Cafe racer vs V11Lemans

I am not certain if the longer frame(as well additional frame bracing) was included in the 2001 Rosso Mandello, but I believe it was, as this model incorporated many characteristics that would show up later 2002 bikes.

73005[/snapback]

My Rosso Mandello does not have the extra frame bracing nor does it have the 5.5 inch wide rear wheel. I presume from this that it does not have the longer frame. Perhaps others are different. I have not ridden a long frame Guzzi so I can not compare handling but mine handles just fine!!

Jim

Has anyone noticed their tank getting longer?

Mine is getting more and more difficult to line up the bolt to hold it on.

Maybe that makes three tank sizes  :lol:

FWIW I have checked the front rubber mounts and they seem to function properly. ie, the tank slides over them fine. Although I can't see them finding their way home, I am reasonably confident that the tank is seating properly on the front  mounts.

Perhaps you should also check the tanks' "seats" underneath if they're OK or have started to get out of shape (perhaps slight bends and so on). -_-

Perhaps you should also check the tanks' "seats" underneath if they're OK or have started to get out of shape (perhaps slight bends and so on). -_-

73033[/snapback]

I checked, but only visibly.

I guess the solution is to measure against another tank.

But I am not that concerned.

Just curious if anyone else had the same experience.

But if it gets any longer, action will be required!

Do the SIMPLE thing first!!! Remove the tank and make sure all of the wiring connectors for the handlebar switches and so forth are as close to the spine as they can get. They can push the tank to the side enough to make the forks hit on one side or the other. But not both. If the forks on hit on both sides, start checking fork stops and all of the other things mentioned above.

The clip-ons are adjustable. They start with a 'locator bolt' inserted from below allowing three positions fore to aft. Without it the clip-ons can be rotated and piinched wherever.

:luigi: Check to see if the clip-ons might just need a little rotation forward?