Painting the Pillion Cover

Kannon

Has anyone ever painted the hard plastic pillion (passenger) seat cover on a V-11 with a spray can? I have a 2002 LeMans (Red) and I would like the pillion cover to match the rest of the bike but don't know if it is possible to paint it with regular old spray paint in a rattle can. Is some type of primer needed? Should I use Lacquer, Enamel or Acrylic paint? Or will I end up with an unusable mess? Also, does anyone know what color and brand of paint might be a close match to the bright red used on a 2002 LeMans?

Thanks,

Bruce B.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bruce,

I don't have any personal experience with painting the plastic parts...but that won't keep me quiet.

I've seen people paint up their KLR's, which are also full of plastic parts- I can look to see, but I think it's ABS (butylstyrene). Krylon makes some plastic-specific paints that stick to ABS; not sure about how long the finish lasts. The pictures I've seen don't look outstanding (usually its a matte black urban assault style paint job). Apparently, using a plastic-specific primer is essential. Normal rattle can paints and primers do not stick well to the plastic. Of course, for first quality finish and good color match, a professional paint shop can't be beat.

Bruce,

I don't have any personal experience with painting the plastic parts...but that won't keep me quiet. 

I've seen people paint up their KLR's, which are also full of plastic parts- I can look to see, but I think it's ABS (butylstyrene).  Krylon makes some plastic-specific paints that stick to ABS; not sure about how long the finish lasts.  The pictures I've seen don't look outstanding (usually its a matte black urban assault style paint job).  Apparently, using a plastic-specific primer is essential.  Normal rattle can paints and primers do not stick well to the plastic.    Of course, for first quality finish and good color match, a professional paint shop can't be beat.

73255[/snapback]

Echoing all of Jason's concerns. I have used the Krylon plastic paint, and it is essentially colored glue. It isn't suitable for anything that one would like a nice finish on, but was good for painting my kids' plastic shelves. Except for perhaps the black color, any blemishes or dark marks under that paint will show through regardless of coats.

If you are going to paint the plastic, visit your local auto paint supply and show them the part. They will have the appropriate plastic primer that is *required* to make the paint stick.

If you attempt to just "rattle-can" your cover, the paint will soon start to come off.

al

Plastic gutter primer (a beautiful mahogany brown) is an ABS primer. Works quite well as a base coat to which you can apply a more standard finish. As with any paint job that will get scrutinized, surface preparation is a critical item.

Bruce, visit your local paint shop and get them to paint the thing, is my advice. The chances are great that, unless you are more expert than your average "hands-on" motorcyclist" with paint finishes, you'll spoil it.

But prove me wrong and post us the pictures.

Bob

Thanks for the replies, I would like to get a pro to do this but I can't find one willing to paint just one part and in this very rural area I do not have a lot of painters to choose from. There is a Sherwin Williams distributor not far from here, I'll go talk to them and see what primer and paint they have available. I painted a car years ago with acrilic paint and a gun, it didn't look bad. I think I'll go that route, I'll post a picture when I finish.

Bruce,

I've seen people paint up their KLR's, which are also full of plastic parts- I can look to see, but I think it's ABS (butylstyrene).  Krylon makes some plastic-specific paints that stick to ABS; not sure about how long the finish lasts.  The pictures I've seen don't look outstanding (usually its a matte black urban assault style paint job).  Apparently, using a plastic-specific primer is essential.  Normal rattle can paints and primers do not stick well to the plastic.    Of course, for first quality finish and good color match, a professional paint shop can't be beat.

73255[/snapback]

All that talk about rattle cans and black paint......is this the Scurra thread?? :grin:

:2c:

lf l where to do this l'd use Tamiya model paint, the kind for modelcars/planes etc. or even Testors, which is more readily available,and their primers, never rattle can paint from an auto store. They are plastic specific and come in a great variety of colours. l have painted helmets with these paints and found that they stood up pretty well. Good Luck !!

:bier:

Cheers

Van

That sounds like an idea Van, thanks for the suggestion. I suppose if I do f**k it up I can always sand it off and try a different method. I like the idea of model paint because I bet I can find something close to the Guzzi red and if it looks horrible, then I'll spend the money for a gun and the proper paint. Who Knows, this may be the begining of a new career, Motorcycle Painter!

I agree with Badmotogoozer, don't do it. You'll never get an exact match because the OEM red is various different transparent layers, and very difficult to do. Even a professional paintguy didn't get it 100% right (in my case)

The pillion cover is easy enuf to mail or UPS to a pro if there is nobody in your area. I wuold not attempt to paint it yourself - this is much more difficult to get right than it appears.

Allright- some of these comments are pretty amusing.

I'm not positive the tailpiece is ABS. It's a good guess on my part, but it may be PVC. Make sure you check, as paints may be specific for one substrate.

Like you said- if you screw it up, you can still send it off to a pro and have it redone. I wouldn't sand it down though- the plastic is too soft. I'm afraid you would gouge it.

It may be a mute point, but what colour is it now?

The reason I ask is because red is notoroiously difficult to match and a good contrasting colour may well be a better bet?

Nige. :huh: