Price of sump cover gasket

bigbikerrick

The last time I was stuck for a sump gasket (I'll _never_ rely on local "dealers" again) I made one out of a cornflake packet.  It worked perfectly.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the same material for rocker box, timing chest or any other joint under low pressure.  The _only_ reason I buy gaskets for these places now is idleness.

mike

73684[/snapback]

Thats a really good Bodge idea, You should at least get a Regular Bodge point for that one. Do you use some Gasket sealer, or elmers white glue? :lol: no j/k but I would figure with some good gasket sealent and youre gtg with the low pressure areas, nice :thumbsup:

The last time I was stuck for a sump gasket (I'll _never_ rely on local "dealers" again) I made one out of a cornflake packet.  It worked perfectly.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the same material for rocker box, timing chest or any other joint under low pressure.  The _only_ reason I buy gaskets for these places now is idleness.

mike

73684[/snapback]

You gotta love a bike where you can make most gaskets out of a cornflakes box!

Rick, I've said it again and again on most of the Guzzi forums. Some people will try and convince you you have a two wheeled Ferrari and will try and gouge you on price accordinly. In all honesty you bike is closer to a two wheeled Briggs and Straton and there is NO shame in that. All the consumables, gaskets, filters etc. are dirt cheap compared to most other manufacturers and there is a thriving 'aftermarket' of whom Rick and Gordon at MG Cycles are probably the best known in the USA, (And top blokes to boot!).

As others have said, it's a bit of paper, gouging on a bit of paper is a bit rich! Next time ask before you pay! A whole set of gaskets, seals a filter and O-rings to rebuild a big block front to back will only cost in the region of $130AU or about $100 US, probably less!

Love 'em for what they are, not what they're not, and *expensive* isn't in the equation!!!!

Pete

73659[/snapback]

Thats good to know ,Pete. as I like in a very rural area of southeast Arizona, a MG dealer is very far away, as in many miles of desert inhabited mostly by coyotes, gila monsters,and rattlesnakes. needless to say I will be doing all the wrenching on my beloved V11, with the help only of my manual on cd and folks like yourself on this forum. I LOVE the fact its a "Briggs and Stratton"! :D

Thats good to know ,Pete. as I like in a very rural area of southeast Arizona, a MG dealer is very far away, as in many miles of desert inhabited mostly by coyotes, gila monsters,and rattlesnakes. needless to say I will be doing all the wrenching on my beloved V11, with the help only of my manual on cd and folks like yourself on this forum. I LOVE the fact its a "Briggs and Stratton"! :D

73709[/snapback]

its more like a Briggatti & stratonni. :grin:

Guest Nogbad
Thats a really good Bodge idea, You should at least get a Regular Bodge point for that one. Do you use some Gasket sealer, or elmers white glue?  :lol: no j/k but I would figure with some good gasket sealent and youre gtg with the low pressure areas, nice  :thumbsup:

73693[/snapback]

Hmmm. I'm thinking about this one deeply. Is it a bodge or not....

Guest mtiberio
How in  Gods green earth did you manage to get $14. for a shop rag?

73650[/snapback]

why it said moto guzzi on it, of course...

Hmmm. I'm thinking about this one deeply. Is it a bodge or not....

73735[/snapback]

A gasket is a gasket is a gasket. Material is an important consideration (I wouldn't use cfp for exhaust pipe/cylinder head joints) but, for the use I put it to, it is an ideal substance. Reasonably strong, slightly compressible, water and oil tight. A slight smear of grease on each side to allow it to find its own location and prevent sticking and there you go.

FWIW, I use scissors to cut out the shape and rub the ball side of a ball pein hammer over the holes to cut them out. Takes about 20 minutes to make a sump gasket.

A bodge would be using string as a gasket, wrapping it around the sump bolts, to get you home after a major on-road problem.

mike

If you're making your own gaskets,put a very small bead of silicone or similar all the way round and smear it in and allow it to dry.

Then outside any bolt holes, run a line of thread all the way round.Stick it into the silicone "film".

Guaranteed no leaks. :thumbsup: