throttle cable question

bigbikerrick

Since I got my 02.5 v 11 naked I have methodically started taking apart things that can benefit from lubrication and lubing things up . :luigi: Today I took the throttle grip apart to lube the cable(it was pretty dry by the way!) and noticed there are 2 slots in the twist grip where the cable barrel end can be located, It was in the one closest to the grip,or inside one so I returned it to the same spot. Im curious... what is the purpose of the 2 different locations? BTW, lubing up the cable and all the linkages down by the throttle bodies sure smoothed out the slow speed throttle response, everything is like butter now! :bike::thumbsup:

I think they have different diameters, to give you a different pull leverage.

IMHO it should be set to the smaller diameter.

skilled racers may want the larger diameter for quicker throttle action with less bend of the wrist.

I think they have different diameters, to give you a different pull leverage.

IMHO it should be set to the smaller diameter.

skilled racers may want the larger diameter for quicker throttle action with less bend of the wrist.

73503[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply, its funny but i didnt look to me like the change in position would vary the diameters much :homer: , as the 2 holes were about 1/4 inch apart or less.

BTW, lubing up the cable and all the linkages down by the throttle bodies sure smoothed out the slow speed throttle response, everything is like butter now! :bike:  :thumbsup:

What kind of lube did you use for the cables?

Which one(s) is anyone here suggesting for such job.?

Thanks for the reply, its funny but i didnt look to me like the change in position would vary the diameters much :homer: , as the 2 holes were about 1/4 inch apart or less.

73514[/snapback]

The circumference of a circle = pi*diameter, so it could be a pretty fair change in your leverage and in the travel.

Rick, the discussion here may shed some light:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2859&hl=

I came up with my own solution - see discussion & photos here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6281&hl=

73522[/snapback]

BTW Rachet, how well did the ABS throttle cam hold up over time?

I have an ABS prototype, but never installed it prior to moving. I had intended to test it out, then get it machined out of stainless/aluminum later for durability. But if the ABS has held up fine :huh2:

al

Guest ratchethack

Hey Al! Nice to hear from you! I knew you had a couple of things like a little vehicular disagreement <_< , holiday travel :xmas: , a little cross-country move :wacko: and a new house :doh: that came up right after I sent you my prototype a year back, so I wasn't gonna bug you.

Glad to know you still have it. Yeah, mine has been in continuous use and hasn't shown the slightest trace of degradation from either cable lube, ozone, or UV. Might be the same grade of ABS other aftermarket ones use? This is just me, but the only reason I can think of to go to aluminum or stainless would be cosmetic.

Yours is just like the one I'm using now. It should be a pretty good drop-in replacement. Should go on in about half a minute, might take a small amount of adjustment at the twist-grip.

Lemme know what you think!

What  kind of lube did you use for the cables?

Which one(s) is anyone here suggesting for such job.?

73519[/snapback]

I used a slick 50 teflon spray for the cable, I think its in some kind of light oil base, and white lithium mgrease for the area where it curves inside the throttle housing. really smooth now. :)

Rick, the discussion here may shed some light:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2859&hl=

I came up with my own solution - see discussion & photos here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6281&hl=

73522[/snapback]

Thanks for the links ,Ratchet, made for some very informative reading, I didnt realize that the white plastic piece in our throttle grips could be "flipped over" to use the different pull curves,I guess I just didnt look at the design of the part closely enough. Thanks again, Bro. :rasta:

Guest ratchethack
Thanks for the links ,Ratchet, made for some very informative reading, I didnt realize that the white plastic piece in our throttle grips could be "flipped over" to use the different pull curves,I guess I just didnt look at the design of the part closely enough. Thanks again, Bro. :rasta:

73654[/snapback]

Por nada, mi compadre! :sun: