Timing sensor gasket- which one?

Guest ckamin

So I noticed a decent amount of seepage after the last couple rides from the sensor on the upper front-most portion of the engine block (left side), which has a diamond-shaped baseplate held on by two hex-head bolts. The manual said it is the timing sensor so I figured "great, I'll just get a replacement gasket and no more seepage."

But then, I read the manual furthur and it stated that there are about 4-5 different gaskets of different thickness for the sensor's placement in relation to the (cam?) gear. 4-5 different gaskets?

So how an I supposed to know which size gasket to order? My bike is a '03 Naked (rebadged '02) bought in California. From a mechanical standpoint the seepage doesn't worry me, but it is an issue cosmetically.

Thanks!

-Carl

I'm guessing, but probably any '02 gasket should work. Or you could pretty easily make one- it's not a pressurized fitting. Maybe Todd H. or Greg F. will read this and confirm or deny.

What I would suggest is that you look carefully at the oil port right between the cylinders and make sure that's not what's leaking. It's a banjo bolt with an oil line to each cylinder.

• Like 1

Mine had a leak also and disassembly showed there to be an o-ring around the sensor body set into a recess in the engine block. The "gaskets" are actually shims to bring the end of the sensor to within, as I recall, 0.040" of the crank sender (for lack of a better word) and should not be changed unless you know you can maintain the correct airgap. I cleaned and reflattened those, ordered correct o-rings from McMaster Carr and used a little Hondabond sealer in the reinstall. Worked a charm. No further leaks.

The problem appeared to be that MG used a hard cure sealer applied in a somewhat haphazard fashion around the o-ring and the shims in the initial installation. If you decide to do this rework be careful when you remove the sealer covered shims so as to deform them little as possible.

Mine had a leak also and disassembly showed there to be an o-ring around the sensor body set into a recess in the engine block.  The "gaskets" are actually shims to bring the end of the sensor to within, as I recall, 0.040" of the crank sender (for lack of a better word) and should not be changed unless you know you can maintain the correct airgap.

74474[/snapback]

Oooh. that makes a lot more sense...

R.P.M. AND T.D.C. SENSOR

The sensor reads the signal from a toothed wheel fitted on the camshaft.

The information about the r.p.m and the camshaft position is obtained from the frequency of this signal.

This allows the position of the various cylinders with respect to their explosion T.D.C. to be detected.

Disassembly:

•Unscrew the two screws “A” fastening it to the engine;

•Remove the sensor “B” disconnecting the cable from the wiring.

N.B.The sensor gasket is supplied in various thicknesses for adjustment.

Refer to the table on the side for the order code

Fit adjusting shims to obtain an air gap of 0.7÷0.9

(I assume that is mm)

sensor0op.gif

• Like 1

So, in other words, what I should do is this: Order a fresh o-ring and clean up the existing shims ("gaskets") and use a tad of gasket sealer, and the seepeage should disappear?

-Carl

So, in other words, what I should do is this: Order a fresh o-ring and clean up the existing shims ("gaskets") and use a tad of gasket sealer, and the seepeage should disappear?

-Carl

74500[/snapback]

Pretty much correct. Be sure to clean the mounting surfaces and the recess also. I used a plug in the sensor hole to keep stuff from getting into the engine.

So I noticed a decent amount of seepage after the last couple rides from the sensor on the upper front-most portion of the engine block (left side), which has a diamond-shaped baseplate held on by two hex-head bolts. The manual said it is the timing sensor so I figured "great, I'll just get a replacement gasket and no more seepage."

But then, I read the manual furthur and it stated that there are about 4-5 different gaskets of different thickness for the sensor's placement in relation to the (cam?) gear. 4-5 different gaskets?

So how an I supposed to know which size gasket to order? My bike is a '03 Naked (rebadged '02) bought in California. From a mechanical standpoint the seepage doesn't worry me, but it is an issue cosmetically.

Thanks!

-Carl

74469[/snapback]

Carl, My 2002 1/2 naked had the same slight seepage you describe, I simply pulled the sensor out, cleaned everything with brake cleaner spray, applied a thin coating of silicone gasket maker to the block mating side of the soft aluminum spacer/gasket and bolted it back in, perfect seal, absolutely no leaks after 4500 miles. no big deal! :)

Bigbikerrick,

Did you replace the o-ring or just clean everything up and add some fresh sealer?

Thanks!

-Carl

74557[/snapback]

I just cleaned everything up and applied the thin layer of sealant, I didnt even know there was an o ring, I didnt see one on the sensor when I removed it, or on the block....maybey they forgot it at mandello? either way its leak free with the layer of silicone.

I just cleaned everything up and applied the thin layer of sealant, I didnt even know there was an o ring, I didnt see one on the sensor when I removed it, or on the block....maybey they forgot it at mandello? either way its leak free with the layer of silicone.

Doest it work O.K. now, what about the prementioned gaps?