oil light

Guest citimoto

Guest citimoto

ok silly question but I just want to be sure. When my key is in ignition (engine not running) battery and oil lights are on. When I start engine and ride both are off. When I turn engine off oil light comes on but battery light remains off. is this normal? I am lacking a manual so thought Id ask here (I tried a search already)

thanks,

chris

That's how mine starts up. I'll have to pay more attention to the panel when I switch off.

Some have noticed the oil light flickering on under hard acceleration, a sign of slightly low oil level and past time to top up.

Lights on with ign on is for bulb check, shouldn't all the lights be out when you turn off the ignition switch to kill the engine? I usually do not use my kill switch on the bars.

Mike

that was my next question whats the preferred method to stop?  Kill Swithch or ignition?

75117[/snapback]

Ignition normally . you're going to want to take the key out anyway. Though I (unintentionally) use the kill switch if on full lock with my tank bag :o and I have used the side stand also when parking up on a step slope and wanting to leave it in gear.

I don't know if frequent use of the kill switch would cause wear that would be likely to cause it to trip or short there has been a couple of reported failures and I've seen it flagged as a weakness on one of the Aprilias. Conversely should you test it every so often to make sure it works and stop it from sticking.

I'm contemplating to changing mine to an earlier on the top rocker as opposed to the push button it currently has. To avoid tank bag - kill switch - Issac Newton - leg - ferry deck moments :doh:

When I turn engine off oil light comes on but battery light remains off. is this normal? I am lacking a manual so thought Id ask here (I tried a search already)

thanks,

chris

Nope that shouldn't happen.You mean you swhtchi the key on after switching it off to stop the engine? Don't use a kill switch to stop the engine,but turn off the key.

If you turn iit on after you have stoped it the battery light should be there lighting on(still with engine not started)

:bike: anyone else seen oil light come on under hard acceleration or braking?

note;oil level ok and under 2000m old, 15/40w

75154[/snapback]

Thats how I know its time to get a change. :lol: They also make More noise that would make other bikers have a nervous fit when it gets low always seems to get low towards the end of the service interval :huh2: I mean I checked it a bunch of times fine...fine...fine...then towards the end lower, lower, time for new :huh2: . But I just dust'er off and keep on going. (with new oil of coarse.)

I'm sure I wrote a relatively long and detailed explanation about why, if your oil light flickers under acceleration, you're already well on the way to destroying your engine in a previous thread. Do a search and see what turns up. I've got to go and cook the barbecue for supper.

pete

For a couple of years now I have been adding an extra half litre of engine oil whenever I do an oil change at my dealers recommendation-

I do not understand!!! Why should you?

Is the quantity oil your dealer put in the engine not enough?

Or you do this just in case…?

How many liters oil are totally in the engine at the end of the all operation?

As I explained in a thread many moons ago, my bike consumes oil down to the mid point of the level on the dipstick relatively quickly after topping up, and then it uses oil only slowly. However, the mid level on the stick is perilously close to low enough to cause loss of pressure on hard acceleration so I keep mine topped up and accept it using about 500ml/1000 miles.

Swapping from bike oil to diesel car oil has significantly improved consumption, but given both oils are 10W40, I have no explanation for it.

I do not understand!!! Why should you?

Is the quantity oil your dealer put in the engine not enough?

Or you do this just in case…?

How many liters oil are totally in the engine at the end of the all operation?

75174[/snapback]

It is to prevent what was mentioned above- oil starvation as the bike is accelerating or braking hard, or occasionally pulling a little wheelie.

Recommended engine oil capacity is 3.5 litres- I fill up with 4.

Been doing this for a couple of years with no problems at all- I trust my dealer- he knows his stuff.

Guy :helmet:

Yesterday after riding I noticed the battery light came on immediately after shut off but the oil light took a few seconds to come on as the pressure dropped.

What Pete said ^, on a scale of not to bad, the oil light coming on is bad.

And , just to keep us up at night, drinking single malt and pondering the virtues of our beliefs, I always use my run switch ( 5 1/2 years, 41000 miles ). I know a fellow who's switch quit from his not using it.