Future problem elimination

Steve G.

The plans are confirmed for 2 wks playing/riding around in Northern California this early July, as part of a magazine publication tour. I'll be taking the V11, [probably regret it only on the old Mattole Rd./Lost Hwy] and want to avoid any issues with these switches which could by all accounts be considered fragile. I have heard of lads here on the forum who have had issues with them , and have had them disabled to avoid future problems with unplanned engine shut down. I know I risk riding away with the side stand down, and starting the thing with the thing in gear, but, knock on wood, the way I prepare myself when getting on any bike [my little mental check list] , I have never had this happen since starting street riding in 1975. I would call myself deserving of the consequences should I not continue to include these two steps in my little check list.

Can the wiring to these switches be done cleanly, and without harming any other electrical components to bypass these switches? If there's one weakness I have it's reading an electrical diagram of a bike/car.

Ciao, Steve G.

You must pull the tank to get to these connectors cleanly. The clutch switch connectors are on the left side next to the steering head. How well you join them will determine how trouble free the connection will be. Solder and heat shrink?

Trace the wires up from the side stand switch. I can't remember where the connectors are. Should be easy to find with the tank off.

I keep my switches clean and lubed and have never had a failure. I wish I'd never ridden off with the stand down. Stupid but I've done it. No awful effects but I wonder what Dr. Gil would do?

What's your favorites this job?

75408[/snapback]

Just a squirt of solvent like lighter fluid and a blast of compressed air. Followed by a little dielectric grease to keep out the road crud. The bolt head which activates the side stand switch can get deformed or out of adjustment. Make sure it depresses the switch fully. It has a lock nut that is a good place for blue Loctite.

The connectors on the clutch switch are stuck right out in the air flow on the Sport. I make sure they stay crimped and a liberal dose of the dielectric grease. The tiny ball bearing inside the lever housing should be cleaned from time to time so it moves freely. "Break-Free CLP " works great for this. Same for the connectors which are pretty exposed beside the steering head. After the grease and a firm crimping, I've sealed them in heat shrink. :luigi::luigi:

While your messing with the levers, run a zip-tie through the Brembo pivot pin. They have a bad habit of trying to leave without permission.