Front Wheel Removal

Dr Gil

I'm trying to remove my front wheel to mount some new tires on the Le Mans. I've removed the front calipers and am following the procedure from the shop manual. :luigi:

Suddenly I'm up against what looks to be about a 14mm allen head to remove the axle. The shop manual calls this a "special tool." :bbblll: Can this possibly be right? 14mm socket (have to torque it back in so must have socket) is impossible to find here locally and tough to find to order...and I'd really like to deal with this today.

I know people remove their wheels "all the time" so I'm hoping there is an easy fix, something I'm simply overlooking or am just ignorant of here. Anyone? :huh2:

This allen head looks like a piece of 14mm hex stock about 1 1/4 inches long. You stick this tool in the hole and turn it with one of the open end wrenches that fits. The alternative would be to buy a 14mm allen wrench which is about 9 inches long.

Not to worry Gil, :blush:

I'll bring it by this evening. :ninja:

75790[/snapback]

Hooray! Crisis over. Thanks to all and especially to Bill (I was this close to going the TX Redneck "thinking out of the box", shadetree mechanic) route...hey, it might have actually worked).

Find a short bolt with the the same size head & jam a couple of nuts on it & use it to unscrew the axle

75785[/snapback]

I don't know how you don't have any bodge points yet, I bet you have a least half a dozen youre not showing us. :luigi:

I don't know how you don't have any bodge points yet, I bet you have a least half a dozen youre not showing us.  :luigi:

75829[/snapback]

Being somewhat of a new guy here yet and certainly being new do doing "deep" mechanicing (if that's a word) I must confess to not only not understanding what "bodge points" are but am most certainly sure that I may be the King of Bodge Points and could teach you whippersnappers a thing or two about acheiving them. :luigi:

you don't want them, its the merit badges of doing things bassakwards just to make it work, call it impatience, call is stupidity, call it having one tool in your hand and the other too far away so "we'll just make this work" approach to fixing things. if you want to know how to earn them Think RedGreen show he has at least 3 bodge points per show.

redbedst.jpg

In the tool kit there should be a 14mm hex piece about 25mm long. I've used them and after one use they appear to be very ordinary. I think they are made of 'Potty Putty'! Why they can't just use a sensible bolt and nut I have no idea but it seems they can't so we're stuck with it. I bought a vastly overpriced and very shinty Snap-On 14mm Hex socket 'cos I expect to see a few of them but for the average Joe or Josephine Tex's trick with a bolt is fine. Better yet id you weld the nuts to the bolt. It'll work fine. You can do the same to make a 27mm allen *key* for that F*cking stupid plate over the oil filter too if you like.

Pete.

:2c: why remove the calipers..?

:huh2:

I'm trying to remove my front wheel to mount some new tires on the Le Mans.  I've removed the front calipers and am following the procedure from the shop manual.  :luigi:

Suddenly I'm up against what looks to be about a 14mm allen head to remove the axle.  The shop manual calls this a "special tool."  :bbblll:  Can this possibly be right?  14mm socket (have to torque it back in so must have socket) is impossible to find here locally and tough to find to order...and I'd really like to deal with this today.

I know people remove their wheels "all the time" so I'm hoping there is an easy fix, something I'm simply overlooking or am just ignorant of here.  Anyone?  :huh2:

75773[/snapback]

... TX Redneck "thinking out of the box", shadetree mechanic) route...hey, it might have actually worked...

course it'd work....& you'd have the satisfaction of solving the problem with initiative - gives you confidence to get on...

....14mm hex piece about 25mm long. I've used them and after one use they appear to be very ordinary. I think they are made of 'Potty Putty'!...

use a smaller hammer Pete :D . I have a 14mm Draper hex socket key - pretty cheap to buy - does the job. Rec'd.

KB :sun: