Punctures...

Martin Barrett

You may have read elsewhere that I suffered my first puncture in over 18000 miles on the Guzzi.

When I have my touring equipment on I have a CO2 and Mushroom repair kit with me. I've never used it.

With my slow puncture today in my new tyre circa 500miles I was able to make it to an air line and then leapfrog to my local workshop where they then put pink goo (Ultra Seal) down the valve. This is normaly put in prior to the puncture. But has done the trick.

I've never used it before. All my punctures have been towards the end of the life of the tyre so have allways replaced them.

What say you?

You may have read elsewhere that I suffered my first puncture in over 18000 miles on the Guzzi.

When I have my touring equipment on I have a CO2 and Mushroom repair kit with me. I've never used it.

With my slow puncture today in my new tyre circa 500miles I was able to make it to an air line and then leapfrog to my local workshop where they then put pink goo (Ultra Seal) down the valve. This is normaly put in prior to the puncture. But has done the trick.

I've never used it before. All my punctures have been towards the end of the life of the tyre so have allways replaced them.

What say you?

76205[/snapback]

BMW tire repair kit, best 30bucks a guy could spend. Last summer, on a Sunday morning, 55 miles from the nearest town, Washington. My buddy hits a broken bottle on the road, and puts a 1 1/4 inch rip into his rear tire. Out comes the kit, the first plug doesn't do it. Second plug just about. The final plug, I tell him to wait longer than the 30 seconds he's waited on the last 2 before he puts the c02. 2 minutes, puts pressure into it, and away we go, with him 2 up with full gear, and [foolishly at speeds over 90 mph] away wee go, 400 miles all the way back to Vancouver. He even commuted for a month on it before he got a new tire [the tire was brand new when he got the cut].

Can't say enough good things about it.

Ciao, Steve G.

I have used Punctureseal (similar to Ultraseal I believe) before. It was put into my tyres before my lap of Ireland because I did not want to get a puncture in the middle of nowhere.

The salesman told me that I would not notice any change at all in the way the bike felt, but he was wrong because I felt it spinning in the front all the time which was offputting.

To be fair I had no punctures but when I got new tyres I did not bother to get it reinstalled. Instead I now carry an aerosol spray of goo from Halfords in my panniers, and I had to use once it after getting a big hole in the rear and it worked allowing me to ride home.

Guy :helmet:

P.S, Martin when you next get new tyres, don't forget to mention to the tyrefitter that you have ultraseal in the old ones or he will get covered in green goo!

I carry a BMW kit too. Ultraseal has its devotees and its detractors. Personally, I think its overrated and wouldn't use it in a tubeless tyre, both because it might mess the wheel balance up, and because I might not know about a puncture. If I was running tubed tyres though I might consider it, as a tubed tyre deflates fast if it gets a puncture compared with tubeless.

On other bike forums the "Ultraseal Thread" comes up as often as the "Oil Thread" and the "Tyre Thread" :homer:

What say you?

76205[/snapback]

The BMW kit is nice. Typical radial insert type plugs. We've been using that type of tire plug on cars for over 20 years. Trouble free unless the puncture is too big, in which case it is likely no roadside repair will work. I like to carry extra co2 cartridges though, it makes it much easier to insert the plug when the tire has some pressure in it.

P.S, Martin when you next get new tyres, don't forget to mention to the tyrefitter that you have ultraseal in the old ones or he will get covered in green goo!

76212[/snapback]

if the place is jerkin ya around thats a nice little reward right there.

:ninja: