HEADER WRAP

MINNESOTALEMANS

...yeah, just do a search for one of my many "vapor lock", "fuel pump relocation", or similar threads and there should be several posts with model numbers, sizes, and photos of the installation for the tyipcal aluminized mylar over fiberglass tubing heat shielding one can pick up at any local automotive "speed" or "hot rod" shop.

Basically anyplace you can buy braided SS lines and AN fittings, you can get the tubular heat shielding.

Now, that being said... I think it's application is helpful, but not the full monte.

Here's why...

First of all, not every bike seems as susceptible, and no one is sure just why. But heat *and* altitude, along with a near empty tank, can exacerbate the issue. Also, the location of your fuel pump can affect the liklihood(see FAQ for three locations).

And of course, if your bike runs hotter than another, that also can increase the problem.

So depending on the combination of these factors, your bike may be more susceptible than others. And as mentioned, some people in very hot climates have *never* reported the VL issue, while others in milder climates had the problem repeatedly.

But, with regard to the heat shielding one can get at the local "speed" shop, it's application is certainly helpful, but the real culprit here is static "heat soak" versus heat radiation.

Of course, one may say this is the same, but in practice the problem is simple.

The VL issue really only raises it's ugly head after the the bike sits for 20-30 minutes, where the heat gets an opportunity to not just radiate, but soak into every part of the bike and yes still "radiate" but radiate from every angle, much like an oven.

To protect from this situation, the consumer heat shielding would need even more extreme insulating characteristics than I think it can provide, and so the benefit... while still there... probably can't always solve the problem.

However, it may be true that commercial grade, or aircraft grade, fuel line and pump insulation may work well. I did not try that.

Again, the only sure-fire way to solve this is to fit a 2003+ tank with the in-tank pump, but that will probably only work on 2002 bikes, as the longer 2003+ tank may not fit the shorter framed 00-01 bikes.

If I didn't have the 2003+ tank option, I personally would look into getting some aircraft grade shielding as Jim pictured. And if it really became a problem, I would look at mounting the fuel-pump "out front" as on Centauros and Sport1100i bikes(and a few 2002s) as I think all of those seemed immune to the problem.

i.e. Jaap's 2002 has the fuel pump mounted out front above the alternator.

Good luck!

Al

...yeah, just do a search for one of my many "vapor lock", "fuel pump relocation", or similar threads and there should be several posts with model numbers, sizes, and photos of the installation for the tyipcal aluminized mylar over fiberglass tubing heat shielding one can pick up at any local automotive "speed" or "hot rod" shop.

Basically anyplace you can buy braided SS lines and AN fittings, you can get the tubular heat shielding.

Now, that being said... I think it's application is helpful, but not the full monte.

Here's why...

First of all, not every bike seems as susceptible, and no one is sure just why.  But heat *and* altitude, along with a near empty tank, can exacerbate the issue.  Also, the location of your fuel pump can affect the liklihood(see FAQ for three locations). 

And of course, if your bike runs hotter than another, that also can increase the problem.

So depending on the combination of these factors, your bike may be more susceptible than others.  And as mentioned, some people in very hot climates have *never* reported the VL issue, while others in milder climates had the problem repeatedly.

But, with regard to the heat shielding one can get at the local "speed" shop, it's application is certainly helpful, but the real culprit here is static "heat soak" versus heat radiation.

Of course, one may say this is the same, but in practice the problem is simple.

The VL issue really only raises it's ugly head after the the bike sits for 20-30 minutes, where the heat gets an opportunity to not just radiate, but soak into every part of the bike and yes still "radiate" but radiate from every angle, much like an oven.

To protect from this situation, the consumer heat shielding would need even more extreme insulating characteristics than I think it can provide, and so the benefit... while still there... probably can't always solve the problem.

However, it may be true that commercial grade, or aircraft grade, fuel line and pump insulation may work well.  I did not try that.

Again, the only sure-fire way to solve this  is to fit a 2003+ tank with the in-tank pump, but that will probably only work on 2002 bikes, as the longer 2003+ tank may not fit the shorter framed 00-01 bikes.

If I didn't have the 2003+ tank option, I personally would look into getting some aircraft grade shielding as Jim pictured.  And if it really became a problem, I would look at mounting the fuel-pump "out front" as on Centauros and Sport1100i bikes(and a few 2002s) as I think all of those seemed immune to the problem.

i.e. Jaap's 2002 has the fuel pump mounted out front above the alternator.

Good luck!

Al

76417[/snapback]

I had the "problem" once on my 2002 and wrapped the pump and fuel line in the speed shop heat shield tape, and havent had a problem since, mounting the pump up front would be my last resort as I think it looks like shite. my rosso mandelo I used to have had this problem from time to time, but if you took a water drinking bottle with cool water and squirted the fuel pump and fuel line, it would fire right up. good to know if you are stranded outside a convenience store or gas station .... :grin:

Guest slowpoke

ThermoTec makes all sorts of header wraps (which I have on my bike)-but that's not your problem- and they make all sorts of heat shielding for fuel lines etc. that might be your problem. Now, if I just got the name right. Let me go check and I shall return if it is the correct name.

Silicone impregnated fiberglass sleeving, 5/8", available at:

R&R Wireloom

Go to "misc" and " 1200 degree sleeving"

76738[/snapback]

Do you have the 5/8 size on your bike? I just wanted to make sure it would fit before ordering it. It didnt specify if it was inside diameter or outside dimeter :homer::blush: Thanks Docc.

Well, it's not actually on the bike. I've never had any of the heat soak/ vapor lock issues. I did move my pump forward a bit and shortened the incomiong low pressure line to route it away from the cylinder fins and covered it in zinc coated copper braid. That line from the petcock is a large line. Seems like I used 3/4" metal braid on it.

IMG_1397.jpg

I got this 1200 degree stuff for a future project to add another petcock on the tank right with an inline regulator to scavenge the trapped gallon. The line shown is 7/16 " ID but I don't recall the sizes of the various lines on the V!!.

IMG_1394.jpg