Ohlins?

Guest PJBrendel

:huh: I've done for three pairs in 16k miles - now on to 4th. AFAIK R&T43 forks are same on 02/03 just diferent springs/damping set up? According to Ohlins shop I asked to look spec cards are v similar. The last seals I put in are the current redesign w/ext lip.

Both sides tend to go at roughly the same time. I keep the stanchions clean, even smear them w/ Ohlins grease. No wheelies, tho I do use the brakes pretty hard sometimes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's the way I ride or the roads I ride on, I dunno. But it's a PIA. Any ideas?

KB :sun:

76641[/snapback]

Keith,I hear your pain.

Allow me to alleviate your suffering.

I will send you,free of charge, my old 40mm Marzocchis so that you never need change another of those damn seals.

No no,please dont thank me.

Just stick them old forks of yours in the parcel and send them back to me to stop my front end drooping.

I know they're not Zocchi's,but I'll put up with them(sigh) :(

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to purchase a Guzzi.  I'm specifically interested in the Ballabio and Cafe sport models and was wondering if I will benefit from the Ohlins suspension on the Cafe sport.  I'll probably never get to do a track day, and will use the bike mostly to ride around Long Island, NY.  A lot the riding will be on parkways at an average speed 70 mph.  Is there any benefit to the better suspension for this type of riding?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Paul

76523[/snapback]

Ahh, Lawn Guyland. My experience suggests that you're best off driving these roads in my mom's blue 1978 Olds Delta 88. Drinking cheap beer, listening to Led Zepplin on bad speakers, and packing in numerous high school buddies should significantly enhance your experience. If you're doing it right, you'll feel like you're floating - much better than Ohlins. For this type of riding, I'd get a radar detector instead.

snip

76523[/snapback]

I put the Ohlins Forks on my Sport and love it!

It was an expensive upgrade at $2000+, but worth it to me.

Now, I just have to save up for the Ohlins shock.

I would say that an Ohlins equipped bike is worth nearly $3000 more....mostly for the comfort and increased control on very bumpy roads.

If you get the cheaper bike, you can always upgrade later, or just go for re-springing, sooner.

How much you weigh might effect your decision.

The Ohlins are good for a 160 to 240 lb rider without a great need to re-spring.

The Sachs/Marzocchi are good for a 90 to 170 lb rider without a great need to re-spring.

(note those are guesstimates and many will disagree on what the proper spring rate is...but the Ohlins are firmer)

I mostly like my Ohlins fork because the ride is more comfortable.

I mostly like my Ohlins fork because the ride is more comfortable.

76755[/snapback]

i' m puzzled...what seems to perspire is that the Ohlins are more confortable, slightly better than the Marz', and that the seals are most of the times porous after 5000 miles. ok.

but what about accuracy of riding ? is that waving habit of the early V11 gone with the Ohlins (i know it was also frame related) ? is the Ohlins more incisive ?

If I compare Helen's V11 (40mm Marz) to my Rosso Corsa (Ohlins) there is no difference in straight line stability- both solid as a rock.

Where you do notice the difference is when you are cranked right over on a bumpy bend- you feel very safe and solid on the Ohlins but your sphincter starts twitching on the other bike which gets a bit out of shape.

Guy :helmet:

Ouch, that hurts!  You did get the accent right though.

76689[/snapback]

Oops, sorry! I was thinking that might have been too harsh; chalk it up to a childhood spent on the L.I.E.

I'd guess your initial primary benefit would be resale value, and personal setisfaction if you like having high-end things. It's also possible you would grow into a 1st rate suspension. I didn't think of myself as a "sportbike" guy when I bought my V11 Sport, but now I scrape bits and want more. I'm happy without the Ohlins.

Regardless of the hardware you buy, I suggest paying for a suspension setup. I first tried to do this on my own, working from a variety of text and web sources, and figured I'd done OK, as the bike was comfy over bumpy roads around home. When it went to the track though, I found it sucked. A proper setup by a pro makes it handle at the track with just a **bit** less cush on the street. :2c:

I guess I am a freak, as I freakin' loved my "upgrade" :bike:

:D

P.S.

To be fair though, any suspension, no matter how "elite", must still be tuned to one's appropriate specs, such as weight. Once I had my Ohlins resprung for my weight, that made them "just right". I suspect that a similar respring with the old Marz would have helped them quite a bit too, but there are limits to the old 40mm Marz forks, and if one still found them too harsh, additional surgery might be required... or yes, changing to some higher spec suspenders like Paoli, Ohlins, or top-shelf Marz units.

Several tests in motorcycle magazines

tell me that Öhlins are just for freaks.

No advantage has ever been proven.

(in normal road use.)

I save my € 2000 .

Anton

76787[/snapback]

My arse gauge tells me otherwise.

Ahh, Lawn Guyland. My experience suggests that you're best off driving these roads in my mom's blue 1978 Olds Delta 88. Drinking cheap beer, listening to Led Zepplin on bad speakers, and packing in numerous high school buddies should significantly enhance your experience. If you're doing it right, you'll feel like you're floating - much better than Ohlins. For this type of riding, I'd get a radar detector instead.

76646[/snapback]

[/quote Hey bud, you got room for one more in the "Delta"? I think I still remember how to "roll" ..... :grin::bier::blush:

I have ridden several V11s with 40mm Marzocchis, one with 43mm Marzocchis and my own Ohlins shod Rosso Corsa.

The Ohlins sprung bike is the best for sure- it is worth having for the road even if you do not do trackdays because you get that solid floaty feeling over bumps when your riding companions are wobbling and shaking.

Saying that I am sure you will be happy with a 43mm Marzocchis for the road- they have better adjustibilty over the 40mm but if you don't thrash it you may be satisfied with the 40mms.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Take some test rides and make up your own mind.

Guy  :helmet:

76524[/snapback]

Does my v 11 naked come with the 40mm or 43 mm zocchis? its titled a 2003 but does not have the front crossover pipe,and it has the white faced instruments. :homer:

I did ALL of the above in my first car(well except for cheap beer), a 1980 Old 98 Regency... very "cush" :grin: And that 5.7L engine was actually pretty quick, and I routinely burned the rear tires off. Oh, and how many "delicate" sports cars out there can have the engine rev'd to almost redline, thrown into "drive"... peel out 10 yards, then be dumped straight into "reverse", still with the gas floored, then smoke the tires again? ...with no damage, repeatedly! :whistle:

That's a teenager for ya! :o

But what's kinda funny, one could really "drive" that car once you knew how to handle it. Don't get me wrong, it definitely had it's limitations(heat faded the brakes many times :unsure: )

However, amongst all my friends other "sport" oriented cars... guess who's car almost always was voted as the one we all piled into?

:D

Does my v 11 naked come with the 40mm or 43 mm zocchis? its titled a 2003 but does not have the front crossover pipe,and it has the white faced instruments. :homer:

76802[/snapback]

You have a 2002 spec bike if you have the wrinkle/fuzzy black engine paint, and external fuel pump.

All 2003 V11 Naked models that I have seen are actually holdover 2002 spec models.

As such, if you do not have a hollow front axle, and you have the huge "tinker toy" caps on the top of your forks with a "C" and "R"... you have the older 40mm Marz that have assymetric compression and rebound damping(only one in each leg), and no preload adjustment.

Al