Where's the beef!?! (Or rather, lard?)

Skeeve

O.K., this just in:

I found an eBayer selling his '00 Sport's frame (I forget his reason) who was willing to weigh it [1] for me: 25.75# [that's only about 12kg for you metric lot] - that's all!

That means it's hardly worthwhile even doing one up in aluminum, since you're only going to save about 5, maybe 6 lbs. [25% reduction rule of thumb; even tho' Al is 60% the wt. of steel, since it's weaker you only end up saving about 25% overall. :nerd: ]

How does Ghezzi&Brian shave off 100# from the usual v11? It's not in the frame, which leaves us the engine & tranny. Is G&B making the cases out of cast Ti, or are they inflating (with helium! :whistle: ) their wt. figures? Where is all the lard hidden? It can't *all* be in the flywheel & clutch, that's for certain, or ol' Roper wouldn't be complaining about how the modern flywheels just don't weigh enough to suit him... ;)

Thoughts, theories, conjectures? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ride on,

:bike:

[1] Hopefully, I'll be able to get the guy parting out his bassa on eBay to do the same for me w/ his Tonti frame, so we'll have a direct comparison between it & the spine frame wt. to see, what, if anything, Dr. John saved there. :mg:

I think if you look at the size of the engine relative to the rest of the bike you'll see where the weight is. Its probably all made out of steel. I think thats probably an extra 50# give or take. Then the wheels, the mirrors weigh in at 1.5 lbs, the stock exhaust is 18lbs (not including the head pipes). The airbox is around 6lbs, pollution cans & hose is another 5lbs or so. I hope that gives you an idea of where the weight is. You can easily drop 25lbs from your bike if you want to. If you want to spend some $$ get the Oz rims.

The engine/transmission is heavy.

The wheels are heavy.

The exhaust is heavy.

Nichols machine did a billet crank and flywheel a few years ago for the owner's Sport 1100. He told me he took something like 25lbs out of the reciprocating mass of the engine !!!

My Sport 1100's OEM front wheel, sans brakes, weighs 14 lbs !!! The rear even more...

I bet my Staintune exhaust is 20 lbs lighter than the OEM LaFranconis...

IF you saved 25 lbs in the engine, 20 lbs with wheels and 20 lbs with exhaust, a Sport 1100 would weigh in the 420 lbs range instead of 485 lbs... That would be noticeable.

$10k in mods, though, makes it a prohibitive venture...

I really want PVM wheels for my Sport 1100. Just can't justify the $2,300.

I still can't believe I spent $1k on carbs and $1500 on exhaust for the darn thing !!! :(

G&B don't modify the engine. that's to expensive. It's more what they don't mount. They use an small alu tank, almost non existing rearframe, and so on. The v11 tank is 7 kg if I remember.

The problem withthe weight is the drivetrain, it's so heavy. making the rest of titanium it will still be a heavy bike.

I believe if you're willing to spend the money you can get the weight down to 400lbs. Put a supercharger on it & you might almost keep up with a modern japanese sportbike lol.

77293[/snapback]

TRUE, BUT.............

no matter what they do, they can't give you ltalian style and the feel of the thing,

so ....who cares about the beef/lard...

it's purdy :blush:

it sounds right :thumbsup:

it's :helmet: got ltalian design

it's got ltalian design :luigi: (read character)

it's mine ! :wub:

:grin:

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Obviously I have a :mg: so I like the bike regardless of the weight. Its just a little funny poke I made about trying to have your cake & eat it too. I'd like several different kinds of bikes for different kinds of riding but I can only afford one bike right now.

Skeeve,

I was the one selling the frame on ebay :grin:

Yes, I was suprised how little the frame weighted myself :o .

The Ghezzi does not come with OZ wheels stock, so that is not where all the weight savings are. I would say most of the weight is saved from not having the bike set up for two up. The rear V11 sub frame is fairly heavy, the two up seat adds a few pounds, air box side covers, plastic filler covers all add up in weight. The Ghezzi also trims off the weight by using shorter forks, lighter triple clamps, lighter swingarm etc. I can't remember, but I think the 5 spd. trans is lighter also.

The bike still feels alittle top heavy due to the higher engine location but is a blast to ride at speed. :race:

On the other hand, the Ghezzi has a small fuel tank, cant carry two up and no place for luggage, so thats why I still have the Rosso :mg:

Mike

O.K., this just in:

I found an eBayer selling his '00 Sport's frame (I forget his reason) who was willing to weigh it [1] for me: 25.75# [that's only about 12kg for you metric lot] - that's all!

That means it's hardly worthwhile even doing one up in aluminum, since you're only going to save about 5, maybe 6 lbs. [25% reduction rule of thumb; even tho' Al is 60% the wt. of steel, since it's weaker you only end up saving about 25% overall. :nerd: ]

How does Ghezzi&Brian shave off 100# from the usual v11? It's not in the frame, which leaves us the engine & tranny. Is G&B making the cases out of cast Ti, or are they inflating (with helium!  :whistle: ) their wt. figures? Where is all the lard hidden? It can't *all* be in the flywheel & clutch, that's for certain, or ol' Roper wouldn't be complaining about how the modern flywheels just don't weigh enough to suit him...   ;) 

Thoughts, theories, conjectures? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ride on,

:bike:

[1] Hopefully, I'll be able to get the guy parting out his bassa on eBay to do the same for me w/ his Tonti frame, so we'll have a direct comparison between it & the spine frame wt. to see, what, if anything, Dr. John saved there:mg:

77277[/snapback]