224 members have voted

1. 1. What age bracket are you

• 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • Over 70

Ya i'm in the lowest %"IE" old buggers,so what,the V11 i just bought is the third bike i own the others are 92 GSX 1100G, and 82 Yamaha Seca XJ650RJ,i ride em' all and will till i cant' throw a leg over,all shaftys to.

Stu.

Motorcycling is becoming a lost art.

99% of people getting into it just want to be seen as

a rider not actually be a rider. They're lured into by the promise

of being like the cool people on TV then give up when the reality rings hollow.

That leaves us old coots who started riding before the Fonz came along.

We were lucky enough to find the place you get to in your soul when a ride

all comes together, and to value that above standing around the parking lot posing.

In fact valuing that above all the illusions out there in our ever shallower world

of facade and propped up identities.

Motorcycling is no more noble, cool or groovy than playing music,

painting, crocheting or water skiing. It's just one of the million paths.

Many years ago I realized it's the one constant in my life.

Through wives and and women, fortunes and family come and gone

the road remains. Seductive and beckoning, rewarding and frustrating, dangerous

and thrilling, but always with the answer when I need it. Always brings me back

to square 1. The perspective from the center.

I look up from my crocheting, knit one, pearl two, down shift, throttle, and think "Everything else is an illusion..it just keeps changing...the road is always the road ..Mmm...freshly mown hay."

You don't get that hanging around the parking lot.

It's hard to put on TV. Crocheting...yea that's on TV...but nothing about riding.

There just aren't that many of us...is there?

Me too!!! After June, I will remembering when the V11 forum was all fields, wetting myself with regularity and spending my life puzzling why those pesky youngsters don't sort out their suspension before throwing useless money at their engines! :huh2::oldgit:

Lool :lol: I am one of the youngsters here (23) and I know that you are reffering to ratchethack.

all comes together, and to value that above standing around the parking lot posing.

In fact valuing that above all the illusions out there in our ever shallower world

I look up from my crocheting, knit one, pearl two, down shift, throttle, and think "Everything else is an illusion..it just keeps changing...the road is always the road ..Mmm...freshly mown hay."

It's hard to put on TV. Crocheting...yea that's on TV...but nothing about riding.

El'oquently put my friend,posers are all over the place even more so on bikes it seems,and i dont' really have a problem with that,i suppose they'er entitled to there space just as much as we are it's a big world.

Went on a ride last year with some friends and a couple of younger chaps they were asking my buds if they thought i would be able to keep up,"Hello"where you guys bin,"Nuff Said"it was a big shock to them that somebody of our age could ride a bike that fast,"Rearly"and at the end of the day it was all they could do to drag themselfs'into there motel rooms while us old buggers were looking for the nearest bar.

Liked your ref'rance to freshly mown hay,how many times over the years has that smell early in the morning zapped my sense's,thats why we like not being caged i guess.

• 3 weeks later...
2,389 views , 15 ,responses and 183 votes....... something's wrong. Do we ned to start an "Old Fart's Club" ?

I'm thinking yes. :oldgit: This poll should be restarted, many of us have moved into the "next bracket" since this was conceived.

If this were started earlier and we keep it going long enough. The shape of the poll's bar graph would go from top heavy \/ to bottom heavy /\ as we age. Kind of like our upper body shape.

Guest v11rider
Well, Antonio wanted to know!

Age doesn't really matter once you can throw yourself over the seat and you are young at heart.

:thumbsup: beautifully put !!

l've always thought that I could equate motorcycling vs cars to the days that some would travel in wagons and others on horseback.

It's a freedom thing, it's uncomfortable, you're exposed, and it is no way as convienient as 4 wheels......but, well you either get or you just never will

:bier:

Cheers

Van

• 3 weeks later...

In the book"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" R. Pirsig explains you are a part of the scenery vs in a car where you are watching the scenery.

Sit down and read the book, you will be forever changed. you will never ride the same way you have ridden before reading this.

51 yrs. this used to be old. I like it when my 70 yr.old buddy referred to an 80 yr old as an "older gentleman"

They're lured into by the promise

What a painful critique!

We forty somethings that watched the Fonz jump the chicken shack must have gotten brain washed or something.

Before the Fonz I remember oogling early 70s Hondas and BMWs, but the Fonz may have been the clincher, snapping his finger and the hot girls would be at his call. I never thought it was the motorcycle so much as the leather jacket and the greased pomp, but maybe it was the motorcycle that I thought was cool.

Then came CHiPs, they were not cool, but like the Fonz they did get the attention of the ladies.

I'd like to think it was more than about being cool, but I do think Guzzis are the coolest. Call me closed minded, but I think I am more evolved for thinking that way....I know, that's not cool...so what!?!

If I was really cool I would step away from the keyboard and go wrench my bike.

But the internet is soooooo cool, too!

Moto-Guzzi-Girl-4.jpg