Isle of Man

docc

Jock,hit the TT.

You will never be part of anything like it anywhere else.

In all my years on bikes,going to races,rallies,shows,et al, the TT is head and shoulders above anything else. Miles better.

Ballacraine, I've never been to the IOM but it is on the list of trips for this summer but I don't want to come when the TT is on (way too busy) but I would like to see some racing. Which of the events would you suggest as being the best.

Cheers.

77977[/snapback]

Well Jock,

It really depends what you want to see and how long you have. After the TT there is the Southern100 in the South of the Island which has a fair bit of classic and sidecar racing around a 4+ mile course. That is usually mid July over four days.

TBH This is my favourite event of the year, but there is less going on in the way of alternative entertainment.

The Island is well worth seeing itself, mind! :thumbsup:

Then the back end of August - early September there is the Manx Grand Prix. Sort of an amateur TT on the full Mountain Course that is used in the TT..not quite as fast, but you are hard pushed to notice the difference.....

If you want firm dates I would have to make enquires.

Nige. B)

Jock,hit the TT.

You will never be part of anything like it anywhere else.

In all my years on bikes,going to races,rallies,shows,et al, the TT is head and shoulders above anything else. Miles better.

77984[/snapback]

Can't argue with that.

Nige. B)

Have to agree the TT is a must do for every biker, seeing these guys going down bray hill is a sight you will never forget, and the entertainment at night is magic as well,then there is all the bikes parked up along douglas prom. Pure magic. :race::race:

Gary

... I don't want to come when the TT is on (way too busy) but I would like to see some racing. Which of the events would you suggest as being the best....

Like you, I never fancied TT week cos of the crowds. I've been over for the Manx GP three times. Magic. Love it - much quieter than TT week so you can get served in the pubs, lot of interesting, quirky enthusiasts & machinery (lot of classic stuff) & there's plenty of room on the course - you can put in laps pretty much as you wish without masses of other traffic, you can be out on the Mountain with hardly anyone else about...but you still feel the history of the place: Mountain mile, Kate's cottage, Quarry bends, Laurel Bank etc.etc.etc...

Top ManxGP racers are very quick, some unbelievably smooth, some loose & crazy, & they're racing over the full mountain course.

Still have no desire to subject myself to the TT, but I really miss the Manx - the atmosphere is like nothing else I've ever experienced - & will go again one day. Like Big J, I don't believe there's anything in motorcycling to compare with being on a bike, on the IOM during racing weeks.

KB :sun:

Like you, I never fancied TT week cos of the crowds.

78033[/snapback]

I'll agree with that. I went to the '02 TT and while the racing was everything I expected it to be and the party atmosphere was great, I was a bit put off by some of the squidly (yobbish?) riding I witnessed. I also saw 5 or 6 wadded up bikes left abandoned on the roadside including one that probably produced a fatality if not serious injuries.

I think I'll take Baldini's advice and try the Manx TT next time :grin:

• 3 weeks later...