LaFranloudy cans, pipe mods?

Guest vratbastard

Guest vratbastard

Now, that I've completed my first mod without a hitch (it's a miracle!) on to the next.

Anyone have any hints for opening up the exhuast? I've already plasma cut the little inner glass pack tips off. It looks like I can just take the end caps off the outer sleeves to get to the inner parts. I don't want to go super "nascar" loud but, I would like to be able to set car alarms off if needed. LOL! LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

I've done can mods to Suzukis in the past (TL1000R) but, those didn't have any glasspack in them. They were just had three baffles with a similar little glasspack (resonator?) at the end, which I took off for a very deep nice sound.

Hints?

Guest vratbastard

Mistrals huh. Yeah, I want FBF if I buy anything. But, I'd rather mod the stock cans. I tried several aftermarket pipes on my test mule tl1000R and the modded stockers gave the best all round performance around town.

Plus I like fiddlin with things. I take more pride in actually making things work the way I want, then just buying them off the shelf. But I understand that not everyone feels the same way. I've got a set of two brothers carbon cans as it is. That I can buy different end caps for to fit on the v11 but, I still prefer to mod cans first.

Hi'ya vrat!!

:stupid::stupid: ..........Mistrals for me!! they look almost stock on a Tenni, they are carbon fibre cool, light like hell, they bolt on with only a tweek, and they sound sooooodamnn good!!

Glad you're like'n your :mg: V11.....post a pic. we're all freinds here!

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Mistrals huh. Yeah, I want FBF if I buy anything. But, I'd rather mod the stock cans. I tried several aftermarket pipes on my test mule tl1000R and the modded stockers gave the best all round performance around town.

Plus I like fiddlin with things.  I take more pride in actually making things work the way I want, then just buying them off the shelf. But I understand that not everyone feels the same way. I've got a set of two brothers carbon cans as it is. That I can buy different end caps for to fit on the v11 but, I still prefer to mod cans first.

78758[/snapback]

they make stock 'replicas' from mistral, almost no one would be able to tell aside from the weight and exhaust end cap. :huh2: seriously the inside of the lafranconi is some serious tinkerin involved.

MGstructurerevealed.jpg

take some looks, err I mean listens

stock: http://www.frankschaffer.name/75-88%20db.wmv

Unpacked: http://www.frankschaffer.name/Moded%20Cans%2080-88%20db.WMV

I Can't find one of the mistrals, or FBF but trust me those two are similar and much better than unpacked. :huh2: I think optimally what you should have is the MG Ti set. then you'd be done.

such as come standard on this bike

2005-MotoGuzzi-V11CoppaItaliaa-small.jpg

Now, that I've completed my first mod without a hitch (it's a miracle!) on to the next.

Anyone have any hints for opening up the exhuast? I've already plasma cut the little inner glass pack tips off. It looks like I can just take the end caps off the outer sleeves to get to the inner parts. I don't want to go super "nascar" loud but, I would like to be able to set car alarms off if needed. LOL! LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

I've done can mods to Suzukis in the past (TL1000R) but, those didn't have any glasspack in them. They were just had three baffles with a similar little glasspack (resonator?) at the end, which I took off for a very deep nice sound.

Hints?

78714[/snapback]

VRat:

This was all covered in an old thread; you can look it up [DeBenGuzzi already posted one of the pictures I made of the opened up can] but the net result was that the stockers are too well built by half (which explains their "lead anchor" qualities of heft.)

The only mods possible are going to be minimally effective; short of that, you'll spend as much in man hours bodging them as it would take you working to pay for a much better aftermarket solution. It's just not worth it. Even I, notorious cheapskate that I am, have been forced to recognize that! ;)

Best "bang for buck" solution for the stockers is to remove the back beauty cover surrounding the exhaust tip, take a small dia drill & swiss cheese the back end of the can, & replace the beauty cover. It's all in the thread, you can go read it if you like...

Next stop on my list of "check this out" is to see if anyone making mufflers for the "tuner" market [automotive rice burners] is making an inexpensive muffler w/ suitable entry pipes that will fit inside the stock Guzzi oval beauty covers. So far, no luck... Shucks! :luigi: Sure would be nice to pick up a pair of cheap mufflers that outperform the stockers for

Saving my pennies for Mistrals in the meantime.

Ride on!

:bike:

VRat:

This was all covered in an old thread; you can look it up [DeBenGuzzi already posted one of the pictures I made of the opened up can] but the net result was that the stockers are too well built by half (which explains their "lead anchor" qualities of heft.)

The only mods possible are going to be minimally effective; short of that, you'll spend as much in man hours bodging them as it would take you working to pay for a much better aftermarket solution. It's just not worth it. Even I, notorious cheapskate that I am, have been forced to recognize that! ;)

Best "bang for buck" solution for the stockers is to remove the back beauty cover surrounding the exhaust tip, take a small dia drill & swiss cheese the back end of the can, & replace the beauty cover. It's all in the thread, you can go read it if you like...

Next stop on my list of "check this out" is to see if anyone making mufflers for the "tuner" market [automotive rice burners] is making an inexpensive muffler w/ suitable entry pipes that will fit inside the stock Guzzi oval beauty covers. So far, no luck... Shucks!  :luigi:  Sure would be nice to pick up a pair of cheap mufflers that outperform the stockers for <$100, tho', wouldn't it?  :grin:

Saving my pennies for Mistrals in the meantime.

Ride on!

:bike:

78856[/snapback]

Beauty covers :moon: The stock cans on a 2000 V11 are BUTT UGLY. I would replace them on looks alone.

Beauty covers  :moon: The stock cans on a 2000 V11 are BUTT UGLY.  I would replace them on looks alone.

78858[/snapback]

Yup, that's my issue as well. Brushed anodized aluminium is less appealing to me than carbon. I like shiny things, not matt. Still waiting for that right time for Staintunes.

Ciao, Steve G.

I like shiny things, not matt. Still waiting for that right time for Staintunes.

Ciao, Steve G.

79000[/snapback]

The dull alloy finish on Mistrals polishes up nicely after a few hours on the bench.

Guy :helmet:

Guest ratchethack
The dull alloy finish on Mistrals polishes up nicely after a few hours on the bench.

Looks nice, Guy. Aluminum polishes up very nicely. Did you do anything to it to prevent the inevitable oxidation that attacks raw aluminum with a vengeance?