Front wheel bearings

grossohc

Hi all

Have just taken off my front wheel to replace the tyre, Checked the bearings and though they feel ok would like to change them later, They are marked nsk 6205 du, (cant find what du stands for) would a bearing with a low friction seal or a rubber or a steel seal do. Also while i am here i got 2 of the screws holding the mudguard off but the other 2 are rounded off :whistle::luigi: any ideas how to get them off, was thinking of hitting them with abit and impact driver when the wheel is back on but then i realised i may damage the fork doing that :homer: so any ideas, comments, suggestions before i dive in would be appreciated

Gary

Guest ratchethack

Gary, from your post, it looks like it's your intention to wait until the bearings are rough? :huh2: I agree. Best not fix 'em when they ain't broke. Many things can happen when bearings get replaced - not all of 'em are always good things. -_-

You aren't looking for low friction seal bearings, since the amount of friction on a wheel bearing is insignificant. Y'er lookin' for the larger clearance ones, electric motor grade spec (NTN P/N 6205-LLBC3), (SKF P/N 6205-2RSC3). The LLB or 2RS designates inner and outer contact seals, C3 designates electric motor grade clearance. Bearing Kinetics is a knowledgeable source for these at (877) 242-4469. OOOOPS, sorry. That's a US number. :blush: Y'er local Highland bearing factor should have 'em. :grin:

I wouldn't use an impact driver on the fender screws for the reason you noted (depending on which ones they are), but a sharp bit in a drill should allow you to drill 'em out without too much trouble. Alternately, you could grind 'em off, but I'd be careful about heat from grinding melting the plastic of the fender - you might have to cool it down as you go. Another alternative would be to use an E-Z out.

You aren't looking for low friction seal bearings, since the amount of friction on a wheel bearing is insignificant.

Not only that, there's a school of thought that the low friction bearings (don't forget, these are rolling element bearings where the majority of the friction comes from the seal) are not sealed well enough for outdoor applications. Especially ones that may have a dirty environment and may be subject to direct spray.

I don't know how correct that postion is but it is logical enough for me to want to stay actively clear of low friction bearings for this duty.

mike