Mikuni carbs on guzzis

Guest leo in saint louis

Guest leo in saint louis

There are a few dealers who sell Mikuni carb conversions for BMW R100's. MG's are fairly similar in design, but I don't see anyone selling em or even talking about it. Have any of you had success or want to share the problems with retrofitting a MG with a pair of Mikuni carbs.

With the BMW's, is that to get rid of the surging? :2c: need lot's more of these for that kind of fix.

I think there was some talk on this subject with regards to some of the early FI California models. Wildguzzi may have a record of it, or they may have been lost in one of the upgrades/hackings.

Seems the FI works pretty well now on the V11, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to change it out. Besides- is there enough room? I guess there always is if you make your own ports....

It's an interesting question. I see no reason why it can't be done, but neither can I see a reason to do it.

Guest leo in saint louis
With the BMW's, is that to get rid of the surging?  :2c: need lot's more of these for that kind of fix.

I think there was some talk on this subject with regards to some of the early FI California models.  Wildguzzi may have a record of it, or they may have been lost in one of the upgrades/hackings. 

Seems the FI works pretty well now on the V11, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to change it out.  Besides- is there enough room?  I guess there always is if you make your own ports....

It's an interesting question.  I see no reason why it can't be done, but neither can I see a reason to do it.

79060[/snapback]

I'm looking to make a change on my 1979 SP1000 from the 30mm squareslide VHBs. 36mm Dellortos are $$$ and Mikunis are plentiful and can be had cheap. I was hoping some gearheads on the LeMans site had given it a try. (gearheads=comliment in my book)> Hoping for a starting point for the jetting. I'll give it a go, regardless, and I'll share if I have any success. :race:

Leo, you might try asking Randy Baxter at www.baxtercycle.com . I purchased my first Guzzi (also a '79 SP) from him back when. He had been racing them in previous years and may have some insight. The guys at www.mgcycle.com may have some info as well--believe they are racing in vintage. And I'll bet Pete Roper can give some groups on the subj as well----Pete? k

Guest leo in saint louis
Leo, you might try asking Randy Baxter at www.baxtercycle.com . I purchased my first Guzzi (also a '79 SP) from him back when.  He had been racing them in previous years and may have some insight.  The guys at www.mgcycle.com may have some info as well--believe they are racing in vintage.  And I'll bet Pete Roper can give some groups on the subj as well----Pete?  k

79178[/snapback]

Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out.

I'm sorry Leo, I thought you were referring to putting them on a Le Mans.

One other place to call is Munroe Motors in San Francisco. When I lived in the bay area, I stopped by there and they had a couple Mikuni sets for sale (for Guzzis) and had been doing some racing work with BMW's. This was 10-15 years ago, though.

I'm running Mikuni flatslides on "Boom Boom" that I obtained from Mike Rich. I like the low cost and HP that they make, I don't like the fact that when you close the throttle, it takes them a while to get the message, could be a problem on the street. :huh: The high rpm's that I turn could be a factor [9500+] :bier:DSCF0021.JPG

Guest leo in saint louis
I'm running Mikuni flatslides on "Boom Boom" that I obtained from Mike Rich. I like the low cost and HP that they make, I don't like the fact that when you close the throttle, it takes them a while to get the message, could be a problem on the street. :huh: The high rpm's that I turn could be a factor [9500+] :bier:post-1510-1140449539_thumb.jpg

79400[/snapback]

Boom Boom sounds like an incredible machine. Wonder why its hesitant off the bottom. Maybe all the work to produce max horsepower at the top sacrafices bottom end performance. This summer when I head for AMA vintage days at Mid Ohio, I'll check out the guzzi and bmw racers/riders. Though I hope by that time to have put togehter my own informatiohn to share.