It's spring [well nearly..........]

Frenchbob

Very nice S Bob. My Tonti was never properly put away this winter with the above normal temps I actually took it out a few times in January, but now its nearly March and this morning it was -3 degrees F....ouch!

waspp

Scooter, I would love to try a 1000S. The 750S3 is quite different in character to the 850 and 1000cc bikes I have tried: revvier and more sporting, somehow. The Lanfranconi PR exhaust helps with this impression. It's a blast to ride, which is why I keep it.

80063[/snapback]

I read your '3' is the pick of the bunch as it has lighter pushrods... so that would explain a little.... & can match an 850 in sport mode :bier:

I read your '3' is the pick of the bunch as it has lighter pushrods... so that would explain a little.... & can match an 850 in sport mode  :bier:

80526[/snapback]

I didn't know about the pushrods: interesting. Certainly, it has a discernible power band that begins around 4,500rpm. Cruising at 90mph is very relaxed and it is smoother than any 850 I've ridden. However, it loses out to, say, a LM1 on low-down grunt. It's a fantastic performance, really, from 53bhp in a 30 year-old engine, albeit rebuilt, and leaves me wondering where the claimed 91bhp of my Sport goes! Obviously, the V11 is much quicker, but it doesn't feel nearly 40 horses quicker. On real roads [ie not the autoroute] I ride both Guzzis at the same speeds.

Bob

I remember Classic Bike testing a 1000S against a 750S3 and there was no big performance gap between the two.

Although I used to love my old 1000S and was stupid for selling it, I prefer the lower look and the detailing of the S3.

Guy :helmet:

I hate to tell you guys the V7 sport is a superior bike to the S3, I've owned my sport since 77 and the S3 since 79. The power delivery is far better from the sport, higer cam, lighter flywheel I find the S3 a slow old girl in comparison

I hate to tell you guys the V7 sport is a superior bike to the S3, I've owned my sport since 77 and the S3 since 79. The power delivery is far better from the sport, higer cam, lighter flywheel I find the S3 a slow old girl in comparison

80592[/snapback]

Let's be honest, any Guzzi is a slow old girl by comparison to some other bikes: we don't ride them for outright speed. If I want old-style fireworks, I ride my Triton. I'm too old and set in my ways for modern fireworks! However, I'm very happy with the motor in my S3: it was rebuilt by a close and extremely competent friend, for himself. If your V7 Sport is markedly better, then I want one, now!

In fact I've never ridden a V7 Sport, and I would love to try a good one, to make the comparison. I just love the Sport's huge front drum and I do regret that my S3 doesn't have gear timing. There used to be a kit available to convert them. Are they still available, do you know?

Uh oh,I sense trouble :D

Pete Roper is the guy to ask,PM him and get the full lowdown. He's wildly enthusiastic about gear drives and will probably bore you senseless on the many and varied advantages they have compared to chains.