Breather hose replacement

bigbikerrick

Has anyone here lately replaced their crankcase breather hose( the one that goes from top of bellhousing to bottom of front of frame,the one that is known to crack) with one of the "aftermarket "replacements, the ford heater hose or the dayco # 80404 that some folks use on the tontis. I need to replace mine and am wondering if anyone has done it lately and which one is recommended. also looking for any long term reports as to the durability of these replacements. :luigi:

Thats good to know Bro. I was a little concerned since the hose isnt designed for oil, but for coolant,  :)

79995[/snapback]

Yah, me too.

I don't expect it to last very long, but 8 months leak free is a good start, especially since everything else that i have tried has failed.

PVC piping does not hold up.

Generic 3/4" heater hose eventually loosens up and has trouble maintaining a good seal.

The ford hose is tighter than the 3/4inch ID heater hose, and I think that is a good thing.

If I could get my hands on 3/4inch Oil and fuel hose I think that would work better with a couple of proper 45 and 90 degree elbows.

But for now I am happy :D

I replaced mine with the original.  I really saw no reason to use anything but the original OEM part.

Mike

80032[/snapback]

I thought the original would not last very long, mine had cracks in the bottom area with 3000 miles, also Ive been waiting since august 05 for some intake boots, I think the ford hose has got to be better than the original, deffinitely easier to obtain, than waiting for guzzi parts to arrive :2c:

Guest ratchethack
I think the ford hose has got to be better than the original, deffinitely easier to obtain, than waiting for guzzi parts to arrive :2c:

A fair assumption, Rick. The original (and Guzzi replacement) hose probably isn't rated for much beyond distilled water at ambient temp. :o<_<

There are many ratings for hoses according to chemical and temperature resistance. Automotive heater hose is probably a couple of notches up the scale toward where we need to be than the factory hose.

I can't remember the grade of bulk hose I wound up with, but as I recall, it was a couple of grades more robust than heater hose, and relatively expensive. Works like a Champ! :rolleyes:

I thought the original would not last  very long, mine had cracks in the bottom area with 3000 miles, also Ive been waiting since august 05 for some intake boots,  I think the ford hose has got to be better than the original, deffinitely easier to obtain, than waiting for guzzi parts to arrive :2c:

80131[/snapback]

Mine was over 10K when I replaced it. It didn't need to be replaced but I was doing other work so I just replaced it anyway, figured what the hell do it now and I won't have to worry about it for a long while.

MPH stocks them, only wait was for the post office to deliver it.

Mike

Mine was over 10K when I replaced it.  It didn't need to be replaced but I was doing other work so I just replaced it anyway, figured what the hell do it now and I won't have to worry about it for a long while.

MPH stocks them, only wait was for the post office to deliver it.

Mike

80192[/snapback]

Do you recall how much you paid for the original, Mike?

A fair assumption, Rick.  The original (and Guzzi replacement) hose probably isn't rated for much beyond distilled water at ambient temp. :o  <_>

There are many ratings for hoses according to chemical and temperature resistance.  Automotive heater hose is probably a couple of notches up the scale toward where we need to be than the factory hose.

I can't remember the grade of bulk hose I wound up with, but as I recall, it was a couple of grades more robust than heater hose, and relatively expensive.  Works like a Champ! :rolleyes:

80186[/snapback]

Hey RH, did you use a straight piece of hose then adapt elbows, etc? what did you use for the elbows? Edit: OOPPPS! I just went back through some of your old posts on the subject and saw that you used nylon elbow and sch. 40-45 pvc, :homer:

From the Guzzitech article, JoeB added the following addendum to his blurb about the Dayco hose:

This hose was used in an urgent situation and probably should be noted for this.  I replaced this particular hose after 10-12000 miles due to it starting to look poor, very soft and starting to swell.  I have received several emails from those unhappy that this $4.00 coolant hose  may not be up to their expectations of the $30 + special grade factory hose.

JoeB

joebpenn.com

I have no reason to speculate that the Ford hose would hold up any better, so maybe the OEM is not so bad afterall.

If I can get three years out of the ford hose, I'll be happy.

But if less, I'll be looking for better quality hose like Ratchet found, and combine it with a pair of proper elbows, like the Help! brand that I found.

The only problem with the elbows is that instead of just 2 hose clamped connections yearning to leak, you get 6 hosed clamped connections, all a potential threat <_ .>

Guest ratchethack
I'll be looking for better quality hose like Ratchet found, and combine it with a pair of proper elbows, like the Help! brand that I found.

The only problem with the elbows is that instead of just 2 hose clamped connections yearning to leak, you get 6 hosed clamped connections, all a potential threat  <_<  .

80204[/snapback]

On principle, trading 2 connections for 6 is a valid concern, Dave. But offsetting this is the fact that this isn't a pressure connection, being vented ultimately to atmosphere. So I reckon it's not "trying" very hard to leak. -_-

I'd have to go look up how many miles I have on mine with the fittings and hose-clamps, but it's probably been 10-15K miles with no current indications of any kind of leakage, seepage, or indications of softening of the hose. The schedule-40 135-degree elbow is holdin' up fine also. It's far away enough from the case and up in the wind, so it's likely lots cooler than the 90-degree ell... B)

I have also found that Goodyear part # 63318 is the same hose as the "ford hose" it seems to be a perfect shape/diameter match to the moto guzzi hose, the price I was given at auto zone was $25.99 Its the same as the NAPA Part# NBH 10912 hose. both these are coolant hoses , but seem much heavier duty than the moto guzzi original hose.

Do you recall how much you paid for the original, Mike?

80200[/snapback]

If I recall correctly it was $45.00 give or take a buck. Not cheap but not enough to put me in the poorhouse either.

Mike