V11 S frame paint code?

Guest vratbastard

Guest vratbastard

Does anyone have the paint code for the red frame on the 2000 V11 sport? I tried doing a search and I couldn't come up with anything.

I'd like to do some touch up on my bike after the frame straightening. Is there anything availible from ppg or dupont in a single stage paint?

The closest match I have found is Testor's Italian Red. It is good quality enamel yet results will always be limited by surface preparation and rattle-can draw backs.

I was thinking of trying to find a finger nail polish that comes close to matching and then just put a light spray of clear coat over it so it'll hold. :huh2:

Too bad I Can't bring the bike into the cosmetic department. :(

I tried the fingernail polish. On top of it drying much darker and just matching very poorly there was the shopping and checking out with the cosmetics. Perhaps if I'd bought some panties and eyeliner at the same time my fate would have been sealed. :blush:

The Testor's model paint was painless to purchase and the match is uncanny.

I tried the fingernail polish. On top of it drying much darker and just matching very poorly there was the shopping and checking out with the cosmetics. Perhaps if I'd bought some panties and eyeliner at the same time my fate would have been sealed. :blush:

The Testor's model paint was painless to purchase and the match is uncanny.

81165[/snapback]

where could I find such paint locally? any hardware store? a model store?

Guest vratbastard
where could I find such paint locally? any hardware store? a model store?

81169[/snapback]

Well since it seems no ones got a match in proper automotive/industrial paint, I'm going to take the bike to the paint store and have it matched. When I do I'll post the paint code in probably a single stage industrial enamel. I figure this will last me the summer, next winter I plan to have the frame powder coated red or semi gloss black.

Testor's is sold where models are sold. Although I used the spray paint I applied it more like touch up paint by spraying a puddle on a card and using a brush for small chips and scratches.

For sure a paint shop can make a match and provide better qualtiy paint. Probably have to buy a quart and I hear auto paints are pretty pricey these days.

Can a powder coat be made to match or do you just get whatever red they have?

Testor's is sold where models are sold. Although I used the spray paint I applied it more like touch up paint by spraying a puddle on a card and using a brush for small chips and scratches.

For sure a paint shop can make a match and provide better qualtiy paint. Probably have to buy a quart and I  hear auto paints are pretty pricey these days.

Can a powder coat be made to match or do you just get whatever red they have?

81200[/snapback]

depends on the powder coat place. The one I went to had a few reds to choose from and one was actually pretty damn close to our frames but what they got is what they got. MUCH harder if not impossible for smaller places maybe even large ones to color match powder coat. The ovens are neat you could drive a buick into the thing. Or put each peice on a huge bike chain looking thing and let it mosey through.

I'll look at getting the testors I knew that sounded familiar I'm sure I've used their paints b4 in my RC car hobby I've put on hiadus. I love air brushing so much more only problem I need an air compressor.

Guest vratbastard
depends on the powder coat place. The one I went to had a few reds to choose from and one was actually pretty damn close to our frames but what they got is what they got. MUCH harder if not impossible for smaller places maybe even large ones to color match powder coat.  The ovens are neat you could drive a buick into the thing. Or put each peice on a huge bike chain looking thing and let it mosey through.

I'll look at getting the testors I knew that sounded familiar I'm sure I've used their paints b4 in my RC car hobby I've put on hiadus. I love air brushing so much more only problem I need an air compressor.

81241[/snapback]

Personally as a collector car restorer, I would never put testors paint on a real car or bike. Sure maybe for smal chips or something but I just don't think it will last. Automotive type paints have a hardener which vastly improves longevity. Anything else really is a waste of time and will eventually fail over time.

Here in colorado the only real big powdercoat supplier is Cardinal Industrial Finshes they can get almost any color you want, though I've heard that tiger drylac out of California is the best/oldest (and they do alot of speciality type coatings). The problem with color matching powder coat is that you can't really blend two colors together with powder coats. You end up with specks of one color and specks of another color in the end finish. We've got a powder coat setup at my college so I plan to do alot in powder coat on the guzzi. Right now I've got my valvecovers off to get coated and I think I'll do my wheels later.

If you can take the bike to a modern paint shop they may have a device that looks like a gun that they hold up to the paint and it will scan the paint optically and come up with a paint match.

I personally would never use powdercoat as it tends to be very brittle and chips too easy. I'll have to check for the name of the paint the painter I deal with uses but this stuff is bulletproof. I can hit it with a hammer (but don't) and it will scuff a bit but will dress out. I'll try and swing by tomorrow to get the name of the paint.

If you can take the bike to a modern paint shop they may have a device that looks like a gun that they hold up to the paint and it will scan the paint optically and come up with a paint match.

I personally would never use powdercoat as it tends to be very brittle and chips too easy. I'll have to check for the name of the paint the painter I deal with uses but this stuff is bulletproof. I can hit it with a hammer (but don't) and it will scuff a bit but will dress out. I'll try and swing by tomorrow to get the name of the paint.

81422[/snapback]

the proper powder coat is just as durable. I HAVE hit some nice new black powder coat and it did nothing. tiny scratches. Really have to wail on it to get some results. :huh2:

Guest vratbastard
the proper powder coat is just as durable. I HAVE hit some nice new black powder coat and it did nothing. tiny scratches. Really have to wail on it to get some results.  :huh2:

81423[/snapback]

I agree powdercoat is pretty much bullet proof stuff, especially epoxy poowdercoat. Only problem is the epoxy is not uv rated. But, they make all sorts of powdercoats. Polyester, epoxy, vinyl, hybrids etc. Each has their own advantages.

I just did some '66 ferrari 275 GTB v-12 camcovers in a epoxy black wrinkle, not too long ago. As I hate using wrinkle paint (it's soo hard to get even some times). My boss was skeptical about it so I took a sandblasted piece of sheetmetal and folded 90 degrees in a vise, I only got one hairline crack (you would get much worse with a automotive paint) and it didn't flake off. Anyway it came out great, I was thinking about doing my motor wrinkle black much like the harley night train but, I don't think it's worth taking the motor apart to do it.

Powdercoat is great stuff but, it does have it's drawbacks. You can't really buff it out and sometimes it can get alittle orange peel.