Lemans race?

kevdog3019

The wife and I just bought an '03 Lemans as our third Guzzi, and the only thing I know is that it is named after the race. Could people enlighten me on this heritage of bike and the speedway and its results and approx. years it competed. Thanks in advance, and thanks for educating me on my new purchase. We will pick up the bike in April and are VERY excited.

:helmet: Hi Kevdog, Moto Guzzi enter in endurance championship in early seventy with a V7 750 bored at 850cc. The early race with the eight-fifty is not Le Mans but Barcelona 24 hours.Of course the Bol d'Or is one of the most famous race in the world,this is the reason Moto Guzzi named the bike. The first road series is for sale during spring 1976. Enjoy your new bike... also with your wife :D Ciao #60 Giovanni

The wife and I just bought an '03 Lemans as our third Guzzi, and the only thing I know is that it is named after the race.  Could people enlighten me on this heritage of bike and the speedway and its results and approx. years it competed.  Thanks in advance, and thanks for educating me on my new purchase.  We will pick up the bike in April and are VERY excited.

82080[/snapback]

I thought Le Mans was the circuit....

Similar to how they named the V50 Monza?

Nige.  :huh2:

82107[/snapback]

I can't be arsed to look this up, Nige, but I think that's where they held the Bol in the year that the Lemon's illustrious progenitor raced.

The wife and I just bought an '03 Lemans as our third Guzzi, and the only thing I know is that it is named after the race.  Could people enlighten me on this heritage of bike and the speedway and its results and approx. years it competed.  Thanks in advance, and thanks for educating me on my new purchase.  We will pick up the bike in April and are VERY excited.

82080[/snapback]

LeMans is a circuit in France where they run the 24 hour endurance race. This year is it's 74th running on June 17&18th

It is often said the reason the original Moto Guzzi LeMans seat was so uncomfortable was to keep the riders awake during the race :grin:

...the reason the original Moto Guzzi LeMans seat was so uncomfortable was to keep the riders awake during the race ...

03 LeMans is a sports tourer - uses name from earlier bikes but AFIK V11 has no racing success at all. Pos exception is the Billabio (sp?) which apparantly is named after a hillclimb in which a V11 was victorious....praps it was a V11's ( & Buells :grin: ) only event!

One rash soul (Ashley Law - much respect) did race a pretty much stock V11 Tenni (V11 LeMans painted green & named after old time Guzzi racer) on the IOM at TT 02 - & finished! Bet his underpants took some cleaning after that....

Guzzi have a fantastic racing history but you have to look back to before 1956 to see them consistently at the front at the top levels (with a huge range of machinery from singles to a V8). Since then Guzzi racing has been sporadic & usually as an underdog privateer. Original LM1 won the UK production championship (76?), Dr John LM won US endurance championship (84/85), & BOT (87)....Raceco Guzzis did prettty well in UK....& a few other's have had a go (& today are still tilting at windmills, eh Mr Roper). MGS01 (4 valve ltd ed racer - not sure why they built it but it's lovely - & possibly fragile...) success at Daytona this year shows what's possible. But anyone racing a Guzzi today - gotta be doing it for love...& good luck to em all! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KB :sun:

One rash soul (Ashley Law - much respect) did race a pretty much stock V11 Tenni (V11 LeMans painted green & named after old time Guzzi racer) on the IOM at TT 02 - & finished! Bet his underpants took some cleaning after that....

82194[/snapback]

I was sat at Rhencullen during the '02 race and watched Ashley sail past looking like he had a hinge attached mid-frame :o I had to endure hearing the snickers of nearby spectators as he flew by but he gets my respect :notworthy:

I still :wub: my Tenni

:2c: he has my respect to.. :mg:

I was sat at Rhencullen during the '02 race and watched Ashley sail past looking like he had a hinge attached mid-frame :o  I had to endure hearing the snickers of nearby spectators as he flew by but he gets my respect :notworthy:

I still  :wub: my Tenni

82213[/snapback]

I was sat at Rhencullen during the '02 race and watched Ashley sail past looking like he had a hinge attached mid-frame :o  I had to endure hearing the snickers of nearby spectators as he flew by but he gets my respect :notworthy:

I still  :wub: my Tenni

82213[/snapback]

Did a very good job with the equipment he had.

Didn't look too comfortable at times coming past my marshaling point at the Black Dub ( 9th Milestone ).

I am very pleased to have one of the three exhausts made for that event fitted to my Scura.

Yes, I got lucky on ebay! :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

Did a very good job with the equipment he had.

Didn't look too comfortable at times coming past my marshaling point at the Black Dub ( 9th Milestone ).

Nige.  B)

82238[/snapback]

Ashley took the Tenni to the club trackday at Cadwell a few years back and he and the bike were an awesome sight- making the ground shake as he thundered by, and hoisting huge deliberate wheelies after the mountain.

Guy :race: