10W-40 or 20W-50?

kevdog3019

has anyone tried that "PB & Jelly all in the same jar" stuff yet?

Rj

83576[/snapback]

Yes. Only comes in grape; I'm more of a strawberry fan.

:cheese:

BTW, it's perfectly dreadful stuff; I strongly advise staying away from it! :vomit:

has anyone tried that "PB & Jelly all in the same jar" stuff yet?

83576[/snapback]

(I forgot about this thread – kept looking at it in the list and thought it was about oil.)

"PB & Jelly all in the same jar"

Is that a design feature or an industrial accident?

(I forgot about this thread – kept looking at it in the list and thought it was about oil.)

83615[/snapback]

Design feature. The supers [sorry, what's the Brit equivalent: Tesco's? Supermarkets, you know, a corner grocery that's the size of a city block when you include the parking lot...] are required by the manufacturer [yes kiddies, that's how the supers get such killer unit pricing] to put the stuff at eye&arm level for the toddler sitting in the shopping cart ["market trolley?" What's Brit-speak for those wire baskets on wheels?] seat to grab it & throw it in the cart while Mom's distracted looking for the :vomit: Vegimite...

;)

Guest Nogbad

83615[/snapback]

BFG! Congratulations, you have successfully subverted an OIL THREAD! There should be some sort of point award available for that!

BFG! Congratulations, you have successfully subverted an OIL THREAD! There should be some sort of point award available for that!

83658[/snapback]

BTW Nogs, sorry that I got oil on my GOLDEN Bodge Point. There must be a leak from one of the forum seals, probably the Tech Topics – 24/7 interface. There's either too much oil in the system or the breather's clogged and pressure is bulding. Could be both.

Guest Nogbad
BTW Nogs, sorry that I got oil on my GOLDEN Bodge Point. There must be a leak from one of the forum seals, probably the Tech Topics – 24/7 interface. There's either too much oil in the system or the breather's clogged and pressure is bulding. Could be both.

83673[/snapback]

From the black look of the spilt oil, Jaap isn't changing the oil and filter often enough. I'm worried the forum could seize up or throw a rod......

Have you tried cleaning the Bodge Point with petrol?

Guest trispeed

the manual for my 2004 says synthetic 5/40

that's what you would want to use.

20/50 may apply for the older models

Not one meaningful thing changed in the engine for 2004, so why did they change the oil recommendation?

I believe it is a misprint in the shop manual that then was carried forward in all the documentation.

How so? Well, if you look at the shop manual page where it first mentions the change to 5w-40 (pg. 4 of the R section, covering the 2003 version of the V11 Sport series), the footer at the bottom of the page reads "Variants California EV-California Aluminium . . ."

I believe they created this page using the equivalent page from the manual for the PI EVs, which use 5w-40 because of their hydraulic lifters, and someone forgot to change the recommended oil weight to 20w-50 for the Sports.

I'll use 5w-40 for the winter but 20-50 for the summers.

Guest ratchethack
I believe they created this page using the equivalent page from the manual for the PI EVs, which use 5w-40 because of their hydraulic lifters, and someone forgot to change the recommended oil weight to 20w-50 for the Sports.

Greg, that's the most reasonable explanation I've heard yet for the "change" that apparently shouldn't be a change after all... <_<

Thanks!

Guest trispeed

I can't believe for a second that the Italians could make a typographical/ clerical error!

No way! If my manual says put maple syrup in the bevel box, so be it!

:P

My '04 Aprilia had a sticker on the frame that said use 20/50; the manual said 5-40 synth, which would make more sense in a liquid cooled machine. I've never seen a liquid cooled bike that recommended 20/50.

Guest trispeed

on the serious side; the sticker on my hugger says 5/40, it also gives the valve adj. specs, ( .15 & .20) so that would cover the theory that the manual is referring to the hyd. valve models.

I remember a great test on different viscosity in relation to oil temperatures, in Cycle World in the 80's. It was with Suzuki and BMW air cooled cycles.

In bikes that were designed to run 10/40, the oil temp went up 25- 40 degrees just by switching to the same brand oil in a 20/50 grade, This was repeated throughout the day and the results are indisputable.

the late model V11 engines are a little different, 1/2 point higher compression, oil jets squirting the underside of the piston are two things that come to mind.

Guest gasse in fondo sempre

MOTUL 300 v competition sae 15W50 100% sinthese FOREVER!!!:race:

+ SINTOFLON "Protector" very very :food::food::food:

(www.sintoflon.com)

Gasse in Fondo Sempre

V11Le Mans 02

Morini 3/1/2 (1980)

Benelli T50 (1972)