problem with idle

Guest L S STICKLEY

Guest L S STICKLEY

2002 V-11 LEMANS ENGINE WILL NOT IDLE DOWN RUNS AT 3000 RPM THE SENERIO- BIKE WOULD NOT START ON ITS OWN BECAUSE OF LOW BATTERY, CATCH BIKE IN GEAR WITH VERY LITTLE TROUBLE RAN FINE RESTARTED TWICE THAT DAY, RIDING THOUGH TRAFFIC WENT TO DEACCELLERATE AND IDLE STUCK AT 3000 RPM ,NOT MECH. AS IN LINKAGE OR CABLE MUST BE ECU? CAN ANYONE SHINE A LIGHT ON THIS .? L S STICKLEY :(

Sounds like the idle advance is stuck- there's a lever on the left-side that runs down to the throttle bodies and just advances the idle- is it pulled back toward you (advanced) or just stuck? I know you said it's not the linkage, but it never hurts to look twice.

If not, then perhaps the idle is set high? The idle adjustment is on the R/H throttle body only. It's set by the stop screw on the throttle cam, if I recall. I can think of a lot of (electronic) reasons that the idle would drop, but very few that would cause it to increase.

2002 V-11 LEMANS    ENGINE WILL NOT IDLE DOWN RUNS AT 3000 RPM THE SENERIO- BIKE WOULD NOT START ON ITS OWN BECAUSE OF LOW BATTERY, CATCH BIKE IN GEAR WITH VERY LITTLE TROUBLE RAN FINE RESTARTED TWICE THAT DAY, RIDING THOUGH TRAFFIC WENT TO DEACCELLERATE AND IDLE STUCK AT 3000 RPM ,NOT MECH. AS IN LINKAGE OR CABLE MUST BE ECU? CAN ANYONE SHINE A LIGHT ON THIS .? L S STICKLEY :(

82888[/snapback]

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I had the exact same problem on my V11, Turned out to be the intake manifold rubber had popped off, could see smoke leaking out and the bike idled at 3000 rpm. I just loosened the clamp, pushed the rubber home, tightened and everything was sweet. Hope this helps.

Great forum still finding my way around!

Guest L S STICKLEY

THE FIRST THINGS CHECKED WHERE THE LINKAGE,THE INTAKE BOOTS (ALTHOUGH THE BOOTS HAVE SLIGHT CRACKING DRY ROT?) ALL CLAMPS TIGHT, CHECKED MANIFOLD BOLTS AT HEAD ALSO TIGHT, IS IT POSSIBLE THE BATTERY VOLTAGE WAS LOW AND THE ECU BUMPED UP THE IDLE TO KEEP THE BIKE RUNNING?I WAS TOLD THE ALT. CHARGES AT 3000 RPM AND HIGHER. IS THIS TRUE? I AM SLOW CHARGING THE BATTERY AND WILL TRY TO RESTART TOMORROW AFTER WORK.THE BIKE WAS RUNNING FINE WITH NO INDICATION OF A PROBLEM THEN THE IDLE PROBLEM HAPPENED. THANKS FOR THE HELP SO FAR . L S Stickley