Thinking of buying a 2000 V11 Sport

Guest parkec

Guest parkec

Friends of mine who own a custom bike dealership just took a 2000 V11 Sport in on trade. They are offering it to me at trade in price..$3,600

In the past I have heard the V11 suffers valve and transmission problems..true?

Any recalls.

Any nagging issuse with the bike.

and yes I am aware that dealers are scarce, and parts are hard to find.

I am located in the southeast USA.

My advice is at that price buy the bike.Yes, there are /have been issues with the V11's but there is a lot of help here and other forums.There was a recall on the transmission gear shift sleeves for 3rd &6th gear,and one for the connecting rod bolts.You should be able to find out if the work has been done,most owners of Guzzi's stay on top of maintenance.

I bought a 2000 V11 Sport last October,I've had to deal with a couple of things.The tranny was missing shifts and acting as if the clutch was slipping,this was corrected by changing to Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil on advice from this board.The other issue was relay failure,this didn't leave me stranded,just without lights and tach function.I've replaced these with GEI relays from Dan Prunuske, hopefully these will take care of that,although others have made wiring modifications to isolate circuits.Adjusting the valves is a simple and straight forward procedure.

I had been riding Harley's for 30 yrs. when I bought the V11 and still have 2 but they sit in the garage now because the V11 is so much fun to ride.

Hope this helps and Good Luck with your decision, Dan

Guest geno929

I can tell you that after riding and racing all type of motorcycles over the years, I bought my 2000 V11 Sport, brand new in the crate, 3 weeks ago. Got a good deal, after all, it is 6 years old, even if it has never been prepped or started. And I'm digging it! Having a ball. The torque is fantastic. Not a whole lot of top end, but if you keep her smooth, she'll make time against anyone. Buy it! Enjoy it!

That's a real good price as long as there's nothing terribly wrong with it. Real good.

There's been a couple of warranty recalls for the 2000- a transmission spring and the connector rod bolts *may* need to be replaced. Check the serial number against 'the list' (you can do a search on it in this website).

Ride it and have a ball. They aren't crotch rockets, but they are some of the motorcycliest motorcycles ever.

Also, check the faq- I did a write up on this a while back.

they are some of the motorcycliest motorcycles ever.

83581[/snapback]

*Ahem, I think you should have had some ".." in there.

Also I say buy it. That is a song. These things have a couple little niggles Far less than a BMW or a Ducati but far more than a Honda. They are not a bad buy and can last you a lifetime with proper care. :wub:

The work has probably been done or didn't need it.

Easy enough to find out.

Test ride it...if it goes through all the gears and runs

pretty good ...grab it. Ya can't go wrong. There's huge support here.

These guys got it down. I'm betting you'll be saying "Why didn't I

get on one of these before!?" Like the rest of us.

We're mostly old timers and have ridden...... everything.

A Guzzi is the livin' end....a total blast...Sport Locomotive.

( Cover my back Ben :D ) HA!

Guest ratchethack

Parkec, as an owner of a '00 Sport with nearly 30K trouble-free, entirely enjoyable miles, :wub: I pretty much agree with all the above. My Sport is without question my favorite of a dozen bikes I've owned. She's a "keeper for life".

Jason's FAQ on the recall will set you straight. I like The Weej's characterization of the "short frame" Sport as a "Sport Locomotive". :P Might also be thought of as the Kenworth of Retro-Euro Sport bikes - in a GOOD way, y'unnerstan'... :grin:

MGNA at one time had excellent records on completion of recall work on the transmissions on the '00 Sports. This may or may not be accessible to you right now. :huh2: Without having a copy of a signed-off work order by an authorized Guzzi dealer, I'd take a close look at the engine case/transmission casting joint. A careful look will reveal evidence that the trans has been off for the recall. This would give you some assurance (but by no means a guarantee)!

There have been persistent rumors of "handling problems" attached to this particular bike. Per the ref. to the "short frame" above - You should be aware that this bike has a slightly steeper steering-head angle than earlier and later V-11's. The earlier and later bikes have "slow" steering by modern Sport Bike standards. The '00 Sport is slightly "less slow" steering. There is NO PROBLEM associated with the handling of this bike! It is still "slow" steering (read that, "characteristically Guzzi stable at speed!") by modern Sport Bike standards. Despite the false rumors - properly set-up, the chassis is no more prone to the fabled "tank slapper" than any other Sport bike, and probably quite a bit LESS than most!

There's been some pretty convincing evidence of premature valve and guide wear. I'm concerned enough about it now to want to have the heads off for a look-see, but I'm not too worried about it. If they're excessively worn, they'll get K-lined guides and higher-grade valves as replacements. :thumbsup:

Enjoy, this here's the place to learn all you want to know - and a whole bunch more! :o:grin:

Friends of mine who own a custom bike dealership just took a 2000 V11 Sport in on trade. They are offering it to me at trade in price..$3,600

In the past I have heard the V11 suffers valve and transmission problems..true?

Any recalls.

Any nagging issuse with the bike.

and yes I am aware that dealers are scarce, and parts are hard to find.

I am located in the southeast USA.

Thanks   :bier:

83513[/snapback]

You didnt mention how many miles are on the bike(not that it matters on a Guzzi if its been maintained) I say buy it quickly! Its a great price. Ive owned almost every brand of bikes over the last 35 years, and currently own 3 japaneese bikes as well as my 2003 v 11 sport. This is my second guzzi,once you ride a v11 sport you are hooked! no other bike on earth gives you the same feeling . This is the most fun to ride bike I have ever owned and ive owned over 40+ bikes. How can you go wrong for $3600.? heck thats darn near the price of a honda rebel! you have nothing to loose, buy it ,if you for some reason are not happy with it in the future ,put it on fleabay,and make a cool $1000. profit.... :rasta: PS. What color is it? If its the green/red frame one and you dont buy it , I assure you,you will kick your own :moon: