replacing/reparing a leaking petrol tank

Guest peterjdouglass

Guest peterjdouglass

Hi everyone,

I've got an 02 V11 tenni and I have a problem with a leaking petrol tank. there is a small split near at the rear of the tank and I've been told by a plastic's expert that my only option is to replace the tank. Anyone had a similar experience? or know of any way that the petrol tank can be repaired? or know of a good place to get a replacement (1st or 2nd hand)?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

:helmet: Hallo Peter, isn't possible to repaire a plastic tank . I think i can find a second hand tank on e-bay. I have never seen any problem with a tank before this. Good luck #60 Giovanni

P.S.= Have you registered your Tenni on our Registry? :mg:

Hi everyone,

I've got an 02 V11 tenni and I have a problem with a leaking petrol tank. there is a small split near at the rear of the tank and I've been told by a plastic's expert that my only option is to replace the tank. Anyone had a similar experience? or know of any way that the petrol tank can be repaired? or know of a good place to get a replacement (1st or 2nd hand)?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

84554[/snapback]

Two ways a plastic tank can be repaired, grind out the crack and use a cold epoxy for plastic or have it plastic welded. A good automotive body shop should be able to fix you up. Had a small hairline crack in my 03 tank near the front and the paint bubbled up, when it was repainted a cold epoxy was used, so far so good.

waspp

Guest peterjdouglass

Hi again,

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am about to make a bid on the tank on ebay (i hadnt even considered looking on ebay, great idea). Cheers Coz and Giovanni

The tank is made of polypropylene which unfortunatly, as I have been told, cant be welded. Also the previous owner tried a fibre glass repair which failed.

That website reboot guzzi repairs has a tank for a good price, about 1/3 of the cost i was quoted by a local trader in australia! thanks Baldini

Wasp, I have heard other people talking about using epoxys and depending on how i go with the tank on ebay, i will look into it.

Im really greatful to have gotten responses from you all.

thanks again

peter

il let you know how i go.

have repaired oil tank and petrol tank using two part epoxy with no problems. both tanks were acerbis. can't see problem with this method with any plastic [polytank] as long as you vee out on split well with dremil or v file etc. :thumbsup: clean surfaces well..thinners.

The big RV dealers in the USA apparently do a lot of plastic tank repair for water, sewage tanks etc. They use a plastic welder on poly. A welded gas tank is probably the last thing I'd want to place between my legs though.

Polypropylene has been long touted as virtually indestructable. If it has failed at four years, it's a manufacturing fault unless it has been obviously abused. Try a friendly word with the national importer, followed by some words with your national selling standards agency. Seems to me they would be happier replaciing one tank than _all_ of them.....

mike

Guest redguzziv10

look for "plastex" on ebay.

Dead simple to use, cheap, and it does work on petrol tanks...i've done it!

Actually, i've found it Plastex