hunter gatherer

g.forrest

scavenger friend drops off big heap of old mags. pulled from bags of kfc and red rooster throwouts. from this bunch of writings i find amongst the golf mags, new idea etc, an artical in a motorcycle mag. 2001''classic section'' titled . what have we here then. one of the finest bikes to ever wear the moto guzzi badge. v7 sport. the tonti. 1971 748cc 70bhp. fully detachable lower frame. but 206 kg. i admit i am new to this guzzisti cult so enjoy reading articles such as this. i must admit, in 1971 i never new of this beast and thought i was king of the world riding a new 650 triumph twin,second choice 500 velo sportsman. i guess my point is.have i been deprived in my motorcycle life never having owned a guzzi. or other than coil failure on the triumph. i've never had a let down during warranty period. dear dorithy i need help. as i am still considering buying a guzzi. but which. :blush:

sometimes you need to go thorugh many bikes till you get to Guzzidom.

some say, that if you ride long enough you end up with a Guzzi along the way.

I am proud to say that just today, my friend (after riding a V50 III) has his first bike as a Guzzi. :wub:

His perception of things will be altered now for always :P , but I kind of envied him that he fell in love with a Guzzi as the very first bike.

:mg:

V7 sport first production motor cycle to break the 200kph top speed barrier. Well more like stagger over the line 201kph feating four leading shoe drum brakes on the fron which servoed themselves on with a constant lever preasure. If you can find a geniune red frame tello rosso sp? then you have a very rare machine indeed, the powers to be at Guzzi didn't belive the model would be a sucess so the fist 150 were built in the race department. Featureing stuff like hand polished crank and conrods, the Italian Guzzi club have 155 listed of the first 150 made athough in true Italian fashion if you knew somebody who knew somebody you could get one made after they hit the production line. The forerunner to the Lemans 850 etc etc.

scavenger friend drops off big heap of old mags... 2001''classic section'' ... one of the finest bikes to ever  wear the moto guzzi badge. v7 sport. the tonti. 1971 748cc 70bhp. fully detachable lower frame. but 206 kg. ... in 1971 i never new of this beast and thought i was king of the world riding a new 650 triumph twin,second choice 500 velo sportsman. i guess my point is.have i been deprived in my motorcycle life never having owned a guzzi... dear dorithy i need help. as i am still considering buying a guzzi. but which. :blush:

86886[/snapback]

Well, it's regrettable, but Guzzi doesn't make any "sport model" Tonti frame models anymore: the last was back in 1990? '91? called the v1000S, which was in itself a tribute/product improved model to the original V7 Sport [which was the production version of the v7 Telaio Rosso.]

You weren't alone in not knowing about the V7S at the time; it seems like news of it was pretty well swallowed up by the huge sales success of Honda's original '69 CB750 K0 & K1, followed by Kawasaki's Z1 i4 & H1/H3 2-smoke triples. [Guzzi has been a "niche" manufacturer for virtually my whole life! :doh: ]

Several Guzzisti out there have endeavored to make a modern V7S: you have to start with one of Guzzi's cruiser models, all still built on the Tonti frame. Of course, if you *really* want to be correct, you'd have to use a pre-'84? round-head, but I'd be more interested in making a modern equivalent to the '91 V1000S, with all the benefits of modern technology I can muster, rather than trying to make a faux-but-good-enough-to-fool-the-non-expert V7 Telaio Rosso.

Best starting point would be the California Special Sport [which came with dual front discs, unlike the Jackal & the Aluminum or Titanium specials...] Then you'd have to go thru, remove all the shiny chrome gewgaws, replace the [frankly, to me, hideous] bulbous cruiser tank with a custom build-up or one of the increasingly rare tanks from an original V7 or V1000 Sports [$$]

I'd just do it 100% custom, but I have neither the money nor time to engage in such diversions. But you're right, the old Sports (& the new ones, too) sure look good!

:mg:

Forget all that: buy my 750S3: rebuild history, original finish, etc etc - see it on my past posts..................oh bugger, you're in Aus! Way to go, though. Not as exclusive as V7S, but just as good IMHO. I'm 6 foot in my socks, not fat but no lightweight, and it suits me just fine, with a V7S seat and gooseneck bars. I'm as quick on it as I am on the V11, on anything but fast roads. Forget 70bhp, though: it's 53bhp SAE. In real classic terms, it's almost as quick as my [very quick] Triton and quicker than my souped-up Dommie 99 or my pre-unit Triumph Thunderbird, and very different from all three. Good hunting!

:bike: